• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Drive shaft restoration

Ruppstang

I spent two days of my Thanksgiving weekend restoring the HCS driveshaft.
The first step is to dissassemble. Then dip in Evaprorust to remove all rust. Then the fun part (not) sanding with 150g up to 600g then 0000 steel wool untill the pits left form the rust are gone. Then using gun bluing to recolor the welds. Repaint the ends and paint Id bands. Reassemble and protect from rust with Boshield rust enhibiter. I was very happy with the results. I learned about this process from Jeff Speegle on the concoursmustang.com forum.
Marty

Attachments

• HCS driveshaft restoratiom 001.JPG
    HCS driveshaft restoratiom 001.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 124
  • HCS driveshaft restoratiom 002.JPG
    HCS driveshaft restoratiom 002.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 146
  • HCS driveshaft restoratiom 003.JPG
    HCS driveshaft restoratiom 003.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 130
  • HCS driveshaft restoratiom 004.JPG
    HCS driveshaft restoratiom 004.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 135

Northern Pony

Marty;
Your two days of work have definitely paid off, excellent results, #1 looking drive shaft any where. With detail like that, it's going to be a fantastic looking car.

BoB

franklinair

Outstanding. I've worked on NEW cars that didn't look near that good.

Neil

J_Speegle

Looks good - next time (just a thought to go the next step) or before you install it, run a propane or MAP torch over the weld bead at each en to bubble and burn the paint slightly as it would have taken place when the ends were welded to the tube. Should not take much heat

Just a thought

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Looks good - next time (just a thought to go the next step) or before you install it, run a propane or MAP torch over the weld bead at each en to bubble and burn the paint slightly as it would have taken place when the ends were welded to the tube. Should not take much heat

Just a thought

Jeff, The thing about this concours game we play no matter how much one does there is all ways just one more thing. But the scary thing is that I must be completly sucked in now because the burn on the paint was something I was thinking about. Marty

J_Speegle

Jeff, The thing about this concours game we play no matter how much one does there is all ways just one more thing. But the scary thing is that I must be completly sucked in now because the burn on the paint was something I was thinking about. Marty

Fully understand and we're always finding out something new. Guess that is what keeps it a challenge and fun.

And yes you have a full case of the concours bug ;)