• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

hot starter problem..

Ketil Ertner

Hi there, i have a problem with starting the engine when hot. I have changed the battery, an there are lots of volts, so that might not be the problem. There is no problem with starting the cool engine.

I run a 302/4v with headers and c4, and I blame the heat from headers to warm up the starter.

I planned on changing the starter with a new one from one of my other Mustangs, but its with manual gears. From diff. catalogs i can see that they must be slightly different, but whats the difference..? can i not run a "manual" starter on an "automatic" engine..?

Best regards from Denmark..
Ketil.

franklinair

Ketil-
there is a discussion about headers & starter heating initiated by member
case12, in early March of this year. I don't know how to direct you to this, but if you go to the members list, and find "case12" you could find posts by him.

case12

I had the same problem (except with a 351W) and have a thread on it on the general forum. I tried other stock starters too.

Bottom line: I went with a "mini" starter from JEGS (easily found on eBay) which gets the starter 3 inches away from the header pipe (stock starter was 1/4" before), and for extra heat protection I added a "heat blanket" around the starter (also found on eBay). No more problems - very happy. Starter is strong and reliable.

Casey

Mustanglvr

So what`s the difference between a starter for a manual trans verses an automatic? Is`nt it just a shroud or something that is different?

CobraMan

Change Cables

I had this same problem with a few of my cars. My first experience was costly by changing the battery then the starter. It ended up being a simple inexpensive solution. Change the Battery Cables. Let me know if this nails the problem.

Cheers