• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Which Starter

BigJim

The starter in the CS sounds weak so rather then have a POed wife sitting somewhere when the starter finally dies I've decided to replace it (I'm a nice guy). The car has the original J code and C4 (March 20 build). I see starters with 2 different number of teeth. Can someone tell me which starter (157 vs 164 tooths) I need without having to remove the starter?

CougarCJ

It should be 157 tooth flex plate for 1968 cars with 289/302 engines. Specify "Automatic Transmission".

Last edited:

green56

which starter

is this starter the same for all 289/302 does all these fly wheels all have the 157 teethfor the two engines? Tom from WI

robert campbell

I posted the automatic started. In my experience all 1968 era 302's and 289's have 157 tooth counts on the flywheel/flexplate. The auto and manual require a DIFFERENT starter.

Rob

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

Turns out I don't need a new starter after all. My mechanic friend tracked the weak starter to a bad ground caused by a battery disconnect switch. He pulled the switch and the starter got the full voltage and sounded fine.