CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/13/2012, 05:48 PM   #1
retroman99

If you're not living on the Edge you're taking up too much room

My Garage
exhaust system thoughts

i am looking to replace my stock exhaust system which isnt that old but rusty. i was thinking of going stainless or aluminized does the aluminized hold up very well? i have a 289 with HI PO manifolds and the stock transverse muffler. any suggestions on places to buy the system. anybody buy the NPD product?
retroman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2012, 07:08 PM   #2
gt/csj4

eBay: jtot8126

My Garage
My 67 GTA has a system (well at least part of) from NPD and it is actually a very close to original system. Only problem I had was the "H" pipe was welded too close together for it to mate up with the manifolds correctly, so I had to have a muffler shop cut them and splice in an extension piece so it could fit. Otherwise the hangers, and all other mandrel bent pipe was very good, quality. A+ repo product. I can attest to the transverse, the h pipe section minus the little speed bump i had, and all bracketry, and hangers... everything else i pieced together from NOS stuff from various swap meets.
If you are going with an aftermarkert type system as opposed to the "stock" then yes aluminum, or titanium, etc..If you go stainless, make sure on the specs its at least 409L type which is the best against salts, and oxidation and humidity. Aside from popular belief, just because something is "stainless" does not mean it will not inhibit corrosion, or other types of "rot" (i install fire sprinkler systems for a living, and trust me stainless is thought to be so "great", but just leave the pipe or even the special heads in a humid place like a pool, and after a few years it looks worse then steel) but you are gonna pay handsomely for it. Just a forewarning, make sure when buying any aluminized exhaust, that the pipe is "rolled aluminum" not "dipped aluminum" the dipped stuff will burn off in a few years and then it was all for nothing whereas the rolled type is actual milled aluminum, not just steel with a "hot dip coating".

Last edited by gt/csj4; 09/13/2012 at 07:22 PM..

1967 GTA 289 2v silver frost coupe (SOLD)
1968 California Special 302 4v 4 spd
gt/csj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2012, 08:39 PM   #3
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Stock NPD, get it blasted, then paint with POR-15 Bright Aluminum... this is about 6-7 years old...

dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 03:19 PM   #4
retroman99

If you're not living on the Edge you're taking up too much room

My Garage
held up well

[QUOTE=dalorzo_f;87314]Stock NPD, get it blasted, then paint with POR-15 Bright Aluminum... this is about 6-7 years old...

thanks for the idea that doesnt look too bad and held up pretty darn well
retroman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Ruppstang

My Garage
If you want the best then you must have a Scott Fuller reproduction. They fit as good as they look and are a must have for a concours restoration. You can see pictures on my thread "New life for old red HCS"of the syestem on and off the car. Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 05:41 PM   #6
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Looked at Fuller but to pay about $2000 (plus another $600-800 in shipping here...) for an exhaust system on a $15-20k cars seemed kinda overkill... now for a Shelby.....

(and he only does duals, 428/390/302 setup, which would be incorrect for any single exhuast small block.. and as most CS's were C codes.... )

They are very impressive reproductions.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/exhaust.html
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions