• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Sequential Taillights

Duker

I need to find out if 68 GT/CS came with Sequential Taillights. I was under the impression they did not but a guy at my car club was insisting they did and last night he showed me a book for Mustangs and sure enough for the California Special it stated they did come with that package.

Needless to say I bought him the beer for that bet.

Mine does not have this. Can someone recommend my next move to purchase the proper parts please?

Duker

Mosesatm

California Specials did not have sequential taillights. Shelbys had them. It's possible the one in the book had dealer-installed sequentials.

It'd be interesting to see which book incorrectly states that the lights were sequential. My guess is it's from the error-riddled, The Ultimate Mustang Book, by Nicky Wright.

Midnight Special

...Arlie's right. I've read in a number of Mustang books stating that GT/CSs came with sequentials. It seems to be an error carried over from one book to the next without independent research...

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Yup. What Arlie and Tim said.

Several books & mags have the sequential tail lights (and a few other facts) wrong. The author does their research by looking at past books on the subject. So any incorrect info in those older books gets perpetuated over and over again until it seems like fact because so many books say so.

Tell your friend he owes you a beer plus interest! :smile:

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Just for the heck of it I did a quick search through Google books to see how many books incorrectly list the California Special with sequential turn lights. Pretty impressive list. Certainly enough to win a beer on a bet. :grin: But they're still all wrong. Each one has almost the same blurb copied over and over again.

Mustang Special Editions by Brad Bowling & Jerry Heasley
Collectors Library - Mustang 1964 1/2-2003 by Peter C. Sessler
Mustang Buyer's & Restoration Guide 1964 1/2-2007 by Peter C. Sessler
Mustang Red Book 1964 1/2-2004 by Peter C. Sessler
Ford Mustang by Mike Mueller
Mustang: The Classic American Sportscar by Bill Reynolds
Mustang: The Affordable Sportscar by John Gunnell

Midnight Special

...Interesting compilation there Jon. I have five of the seven books. The mis-information has also bled into as many magazines and publications in the same way. All I can say is thank goodness for this website and its real-time owners, researchers and enthusiasts :)

Mosesatm

The '68 windshield being different is another urban legend that refuses to die.

Ruppstang

Another one is that there is a differance in windshields between 64 1/2 - 68 body styles fastback, coupe and Convertible.

OP
OP
D

Duker

Thank you my friends. I will think of you while I drink the beer. I know my wiring harness needs some major fixing so I just wanted to be on the right track.

What I do need is new connectors from the wiring harness to the taillights. Mine are kinda old and someone was splicing ect you know what I mean. Can I get them?

Duker

Mosesatm

That's right. Any '65-'68 windshield will fit in any '65-'68 body style. As far as I know the only difference in any of them is that the '68 came with a bracket glued onto it.

Could another difference be that the '68 windshield was laminated differently due to tougher safety regulations?

CougarCJ

Some people say that coupe and fastback windshields are different.