• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Question about steering

Mustanglvr

Hello, I have been having a problem with the steering on my GT/CS. When turning the steering wheel it seems to get to a certain point and then it catches. With a little force it keeps turning but it makes for a little panic attack when you are in the middle of a turn and you don`t think the wheel is going to keep turning. It doesn`t have power steering. It is a tilt steering wheel. What in the steering mechanism could be it be catching on? ??? Rhonda

nfrntau

Rhonda,
I would have someone turn your wheel back and forth stop to stop slowly. While they are doing this I would look underneath and watch for anything that may be catching or binding in the steering components. Watch also the joint connections to see if they jump at a certain point in travel.
If nothing is catching or jumping visually I would do one of two things.
1. Get the Ford dealer or good local shop to look at it.
2. Put a rack and pinion in it.
I highly recommend that you find this bug and work him out of your system quickly. Steering is in the same importance category as your brakes, if it quits working at the wrong time your life and your car are at stake.
Good Luck
Bill

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Thank you Bill, I guess it could be a serious problem. I`m gonna have a mechanic check it right away. What would a rack and pinion cost do you think? Rhonda

nfrntau

Rhonda,
Unless you intend to drive your car VERY hard and don't care about keeping it stock the rack and pinion is probably not the way to go.
It is very pricey but cool. It will cost you at least $1500 depending which vendor you go with and much more if you have them do the work.
If you mostly cruise and tool around in your car a stock replacement will work perfectly. After all yours has been there for how many years? It will also save you well over a thousand dollars.
One other note leave the front end on the ground when you turn it back and forth. That will keep your suspension where it is under normal conditions.
Good luck
Bill

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Thanks Bill, I would like to keep the car stock as much as possible. I had considered upgrading to power steering. I`ll look into what parts for that will cost. I know a guy who has a mustang graveyard near where I live. I`ll see what he has. Rhonda

P

PNewitt

Hi Rhonda,

I also have a tilt wheel, and it might be the turn signal cam is catching, or there is something going on inside the steering box. A bad or broken ball bearing, or sector would do that "clicking". If you've never had it rebuilt, you might consider it. I had mine done by Global West, and it's great. The way that GW rebuilds those boxes, they sleeve parts of it to make it very precise. I don't think a rack (for the cost and being non-stock) is the type of solution you might need for right now.

I need to get the top bearing in the column replaced, since it slops around too much.

You should also check what's called the rag-joint, which is just ahead of the firewall. It might be broken or loose.

I agree, tho. Get a mechanic (that knows '68 Mustangs) to get a close look at it. Maybe get two opinions.

Stay safe,

Paul N.

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Thanks for the advice Paul. I had a friend fiddle with the turn signal switch when I first got the car to get it working right. The steering had more play in it before he worked on that too. It still has play in it. It probably needs a top bearing too. I`m definitely going to have it checked out. Thanks again, Rhonda

rvrtrash

Hey Rhonda, I have some free advice for you if you're going to convert to power steering. Don't use a '68 Mustang control valve and power ram. The biggest problem with these units is that they are prone to leakage at the fittings. In the mid '70's Ford came out with an upgraded unit that uses o-rings on all the fittings, although I can't remember right now which car it was on. I found out about it right after I had my stock ones rebuilt of course. If no one here knows which car these were used on, I'll try to look it up for you, but I'm sure someone besides me has heard of this. I think the only other parts you'll need to get are the center link, pump, pump brackets and hoses. By the way, I'm leaning towards voting for your steering box being the problem also.
Steve

P

PNewitt

Steve--

You might be thinking of a '78-80 Granada?

Those cars used some parts, like sway bars that I think would work on a '68 Mustang.

Paul.

p.s. Rhonda--if as much as one ball bearing is "missing" (or disengrated) in the steering box, it will do that clicking thing.

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Thanks for all the advice. I`m going to get the steering box and all checked first and if its something that can be repaired easily I will stay with the manual steering but if its something major I might as well try to get a power steering unit like the one described. I`ve heard something before about the Granada`s that had some interchangable parts with the old Mustangs. I hope to someday have a fully optioned GT/CS even though it did`nt come that way off the line. It had alot of options when new and there were ones added before I got it. I hope to someday put a 428 cobra jet in it too. 8) I`m not sure if that will ever happen, but I can dream. :) Rhonda

rvrtrash

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1658;start=0#msg10231 date=1115522995]
Steve--

You might be thinking of a '78-80 Granada?

Paul.

[/quote]

I think that was it. I had Fairmont stuck in my mind and kept thinking "No that doesn't sound right". I really miss my brain. I wish it hadn't left.
Steve

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Well I think I found out what the problem was with the steering. After driving it today I noticed that whenever the steering wheel would stick and release, the clutch pedal would lift up. I had my friend look at it and he said it had something to do with the steering gears being worn and something with the actuator arm. He said the bushings were worn. Anyway he said I should think about putting in a new clutch. There was a pin that was ready to fall out that he said would have left me on the side of the road broke down. I never would have thought the clutch would cause a problem with the steering but apparently the components are pretty close to each other. You guys probably all understand what my friend is talking about. I`m just glad he figured it out before it got real bad. Rhonda

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=1658;start=0#msg10278 date=1115597764]
Well I think I found out what the problem was with the steering. After driving it today I noticed that whenever the steering wheel would stick and release, the clutch pedal would lift up. I had my friend look at it and he said it had something to do with the steering gears being worn and something with the actuator arm. He said the bushings were worn. Anyway he said I should think about putting in a new clutch. There was a pin that was ready to fall out that he said would have left me on the side of the road broke down. I never would have thought the clutch would cause a problem with the steering but apparently the components are pretty close to each other. You guys probably all understand what my friend is talking about. I`m just glad he figured it out before it got real bad. Rhonda
[/quote] Has anybody had this problem before? Are those components supposed to be that close together to cause a problem with the steering? Rhonda

nfrntau

Rhonda my car is an automatic but the two systems should not be interconnected. Correct me if I'm wrong folks.
Your car being a manual, I would expect to find a Z-bar which changes the direction of your push on the linkage from the clutch pedal to the clutch lever. That bar would be attached to the frame around your steering box somewhere and at the bellhousing attachment to the block. (I don't know how close these two items are to each other).
With a flashlight and a helper. Have your helper push an release the clutch pedal and follow the movement from the firewall to the transmission. You should be able to see if something is too close to your steering. Also I would turn your wheel to the point where you get your hang-up before doing this.

meadowsdk28

Rhonda,
I had the exact clutch problem your friend spoke of, but I don't remember it affecting my steering. I guess it could, but I doubt it. My shaft in the clutch/brake bracket that hangs the pedals was absolutely chewed up. So much so that it really rounded out the mounting holes to the point I had to replace the whole shooting match. It was really bad, but It still didn't affect my steering wheel travel one bit. I did however have a maverick that did exactly what you described. It turned out to have a bad set of bearings in steering gear box. Let us know what you find out. My interest is peaked.

rvrtrash

Hey Rhonda, it sounds to me from your description of what your friend said that you have two different problems, that he was looking for one and found another at the same time. I'd clarify it with him. By the way, the steering box is the same (I think) whether you have manual or power steering. The power steering parts are kind of an add on. You could still rebuild your steering box and then add the power components later.
Steve

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Great idea! I didn`t know you could do that. Thanks Steve. Rhonda

Mosesatm

Steve, I think the gear ratios are different between the manual and power steering boxes. I wouldn't swear to that but it is mighty difficult turning the steering wheel on a power steering car when the power goes out.

Regarding coyotes and rattlesnakes; I think I sort of remember something about a coyote bounty but I must have been too young to care at the time. Rattlesnakes are a whole nuther issue. There's an unforgettable sound. If you hear it you'd better move, just hope you move the right direction! I once saw my brother walk on water because of that sound. That was quite a sight - I figured it was a genetic thing. Good thing I don't have a son because I'd be tempted to name him "Charlie Parter Moses", but then that would be too cruel.

rvrtrash

Yeah, if you're not looking for them, rattlers will make you do the "S**t and git". I think the reason it's hard to turn a power steering car when the steering goes out is because you're trying to overcome the ram and control valve. Anyway, it got me thinking so I looked it up in my Master Parts List. For '68 they used two different boxes in the the Mustangs, a 19:1 ratio and a 16:1 ratio. The 16:1 was used for both manual and power steering so I would assume the 19:1 may have been for a GT or Shelby. Anyway it appears you could add power to either. One last thing. The golf course in Yakima you were asking about is called, of all things, Apple Tree Golf Course, (509)966-5877. If you decide to show up to play it sometime, let me know and I'll drive down.
Steve

68gt390

Don't want to step on any toe's here but, check your stats again. 16:1 ratio was used on all power steering cars, and 19:1 ratio was used on all manual steering cars. 65 to 66 used a 1" sector shaft (Short Shaft) and 67 through 70 used a 1 1/8" sector shaft. I just replaced the steering gear box on my 68 GT with a Flaming River unit (16:1 ratio) and it drives great.

Don ;)