• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Dash pad options?

classicsguy

What is the best dash pad option for the 1968 GT/CS? Are there any good reproductions out there or is better to wait and try to get an NOS?
Thanks for opinions!!

franklinair

I haven't heard too much good about the aftermarket dashpads: one mfr is reportedly having too coarse of a grain, but fits OK. The other has a better grain appearance, but doesn't fit worth a hoot.:undecided

Neil

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Neil that's what I have read too. Someone mentioned that Scott Drake has a good reproduction,maybe he can chime in here.

dalorzo_f

Drake gets good press, but unfortunately the pattern is not correct for the 68's, I gather the OEM tooling was lost.

The one I used, I forget which manufacturer, maybe Dashes Direct?, is a real rubbery/gummy--bear type thing which I'm not real happy with. I can accept the stitching looking "off" if the general material look and feel is closer to OEM...

Ruppstang

I have not seen a reproduction that I would not take at least 1 point off for the heavy grain, stiching or shape. I looked for two years for a red NOS or a good original. I finelly used a black original and dyed it red. That is what I would recomend. Black and blue originals seem to be a bit easier to find. Marty

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Marty: So I am in luck..mine is black. Will wait for a good original then.....thanks for all the advices!!