• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

I need your help; for my GT/CS Registry Book

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks for all the input! A big thanks to Doug for the magazine references, and to RV for the rubber grommet /calipers photos. Very nice! They will go into the book!

Everyone has been quite helpful! I feel quite lucky to have this kind of support and enthusiasm!

I truly think we'll have one of, if not THE most documented Mustang ever when this book comes out. This will help greatly for our cars' values down the road--AND it will help with the (eventual) promotion of the new GT/CS, if Ford SVT makes it in a couple of years or so.

I'll keep tabs on this thread, and see what we can all come up with.

Have a Very Merry Christmas and Holiday--to you all!!

Paul Newitt

davidathans

10. Who races their GT/CS on a track? A vintage racer--I need photos!

I race my gt/cs on a track...is the picture i submitted for the calendar good for you? if not, i'll be taking more pictures next time i go to the track.

CJ 56

HI All
I know I have posted a similar post to the follwoing on here over the weekend but do not know where it went. Anyway, from more reading on recent post and checking my Marti Report, my CS was ordered as Basic off-standard equipment, which seams to indicate it was ordered as a promotional vehical along with 8 other identical cars in early Feb 1968.
Jason is out here this week and he will have a good look over her and I guess take lots of pictures, so stay tuned.
CJ

CJ 56

HI again, now I'm embarist, I fould page 2, anyway now I know why Paul wants quite a few pictures of the rear 1/4 pannels.
The previous owner told me that when he got the car there where no holes on the front gards to put the Mustang script, he assumed new gards at some stage and drilled new holes. Some where along the line over the past 2 years I have been told that the very first cars ( and this maybe just the 8 promo cars) did not have Mustang script on the front gards.
Not sure if this is true though.

CJ

rvrtrash

PNewitt said:
Thanks for all the input! A big thanks to Doug for the magazine references, and to RV for the rubber grommet /calipers photos. Very nice! They will go into the book!

Everyone has been quite helpful! I feel quite lucky to have this kind of support and enthusiasm!

Paul Newitt

I'm glad they will work for you, because it was a real pain getting the light off and even worse getting it back on.:icon_pani :grin: Anyway, we all want your book to succeed. :thumb:
Steve

case12

CJ 56 said:
HI again, now I'm embarist, I fould page 2, anyway now I know why Paul wants quite a few pictures of the rear 1/4 pannels.
The previous owner told me that when he got the car there where no holes on the front gards to put the Mustang script, he assumed new gards at some stage and drilled new holes. Some where along the line over the past 2 years I have been told that the very first cars ( and this maybe just the 8 promo cars) did not have Mustang script on the front gards.
Not sure if this is true though.

CJ

Can you post pictures of the rear quarter panels with the "california special" script. They were mounted differently on the LA promotional cars, than on the production cars. Casey

CJ 56

Hi all, back again from NZ

In answer to Q above my CS was released 19th of feb 68 ( data on Marti)

will now try and up load a pic of the script.

I have already told Jason I think the script is in the factory made position not the higher hand built position but not sure how high, high is for the hand made.

CJ

Attachments

• GTCS Script MVC-556S.JPG
    GTCS Script MVC-556S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 41
  • GTCS plate MVC-557S.JPG
    GTCS plate MVC-557S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 24

390cs68rcode

i might be able to post up some other pics later today. I am at a lake in Rotarua. we parked the rv 10 feet from the water and typing on the laptop right now looking at the lake. very relaxing to look at the lake and check out the thiungs I like to do, family, friends and CS stuff.

case12

I cant remember where the request from Paul for "Paint OK" and other original markings for the book were to be posted, so I will post this one here. This is a marking on one of my headlight buckets - I am not sure what it means, but the part is original. The letters look like "OX -23". Anyone know what that means? (click on the picture to enlarge) Casey

Attachments

• GTCS_OK.jpg
    GTCS_OK.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 65

coralsnake

Paul,

I can probably find the Shelby move date for you. I have some old Shelby memos, handwritten. It was in Aug 67 as I recall. Email me to discuss this. There were four 68 Shelbys built in the Aug/Sep time frame everything else started in November 1967. Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

67st102

Hi Paul

I am new to this site as of today. Have you completed your new book yet or not? Did you ever receive any photos of the front of the AO Smith facility or any arial photos? I believe that I can help with both requests:smile: . Send me a PM or email.

nfrntau

Here are some photos of the CS specific holes on a primer shell.
In order:
Hood Twist Lock hole top view - drivers side
Hood Twist Lock hole bottom view - drivers side
Tail light cut out inside view - passenger side
Tail light cut out outside view - passenger side
CS script holes - drivers side
Scoop holes - drivers side

Attachments

• DSCF1434.JPG
    DSCF1434.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF1435.JPG
    DSCF1435.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1431.JPG
    DSCF1431.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF1432.JPG
    DSCF1432.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF1433.JPG
    DSCF1433.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF1439.JPG
    DSCF1439.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 37

J_Speegle

case12 said:
I cant remember where the request from Paul for "Paint OK" and other original markings for the book were to be posted, so I will post this one here. This is a marking on one of my headlight buckets - I am not sure what it means, but the part is original. The letters look like "OX -23". Anyone know what that means? Casey

Casey I know this is an older post but I collect such things. What you found is one of many paint inspector marks that would have been installed on your car at the factory. Once person (well most of the time) in one part of the plant would inspect the uni-body while another person in another part would inspect and mark the individual parts that made up the front end since they were painted off the car.

Each of these inspectors was assigned a stamp so that if there was a problem or an issue the managers could determine who had inspected the parts. This happened in a number of different sub-assemblies also.

What you found was OK-23. During 68 there were two different styles of inspector stamps, One was the OK series (of which there were approx 4-5 numbers) another used the name (normally last name) of the inspector. There was another "catch-all" stamp assigned to people who filled in as inspectors for a shift.

Stamps were applied in green, red, blue and yellow normally.

Every year was different as well as where the stamps are placed on the cars (well some of them)

Can I ask when you car was built or the the VIN as we try and track these by car.

case12

Hi Jeff,

My VIN is 8r01c142473, and was serialized 2/5/68 and was actually built 2/21/68 (per Marti). (I am also lucky to have the original build sheet for my car).

As another thing possibly of interest to you is at this link. It was a seat tag I found attached to my rear seat spring. If you know anything about Allen Industries in Compton, CA, I would like to know more.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157&highlight=seat+tag

And I like to find stampings, like this one on the back of my instrument panel:

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1914&d=1148790375

Casey

BroadwayBlue

case12 said:
Hi Jeff,

My VIN is 8r01c142473, and was serialized 2/5/68 and was actually built 2/21/68 (per Marti). (I am also lucky to have the original build sheet for my car).

As another thing possibly of interest to you is at this link. It was a seat tag I found attached to my rear seat spring. If you know anything about Allen Industries in Compton, CA, I would like to know more.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157&highlight=seat+tag

And I like to find stampings, like this one on the back of my instrument panel:

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1914&d=1148790375

Casey

I have that stamping on my instrument panel as well. I recall seeing it when I had it apart last year.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I just wanted to chime in here, and say how impressed--and thankful I am for all of you that send, and post things for the book. I truly appreciate it! (I can't believe that some of these are about a year old!)

I'll be contacting various people that have questions/answers for me. Recently, I've talked ot a couple of people that have shed some new light on the production of the fiberglas parts at A.O. Smith.

I do think that the cars were built in groups. Not yet sure how many, or if it was only one shift, etc.

Jeff is a great expert on the stamps. I'm going to include this info in the book for restorers, too, so your CS will be very accurate.

thanks again!

Paul.

J_Speegle

PNewitt said:
I do think that the cars were built in groups. Not yet sure how many, or if it was only one shift, etc.

Would suggest that they were handled similar to what was done with the Shelbys at San Jose. Cars were built under a group DSO this would not mean that the car were all built as a group (one after another) especially during the body and trim portion (first "half") of the process. Since the special parts would likely take extra time building too many one after another would slow the line down. Like AC and big blocks cars (in the second half od production) were not typically lined up one after another. This was what was shared by one of the plant managers

PNewitt said:
Jeff is a great expert on the stamps. I'm going to include this info in the book for restorers, too, so your CS will be very accurate.

Just a few more opportunities that others have had ;)

BTW do you want one of those wheelwells done for 68 San Jose? Guess I don't have to ask ;)

Highlander

Paul; I've recently discovered two different GT/CS's in Washington state. I'm currently negotiating their purchases. One, of which I accidently discovered, I will view this weekend. The gentleman has had the car since 1985, and has moved it six times. He has told me that the reason he has held onto it so long, is that it has the most options he's ever seen on one. It's supposed to be an "Acapulco Blue, w/ Deluxe interior, including Tach, Overhead consul, but without floor consul, due to it being a 4-speed". He supposedly has extra factory fiberglass parts, as well. I'll check it out, and let you know. I'll probably have to wait on a Marti report to authenticate the origin of the options. I just hope it's True. Anyways, I realize this is a long shot, and verification will take some time, but maybe this car will be of some help in your Data gathering. Take care..............

J.R.