• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Top Grille Bracket Question?

68MustangHCS

I've noticed a lot of questions about the grille and converting a 67 grille to a GT/CS HCS grille. Mentioned are the Foglight Brackets from Delta Bay, and the rivits from amk products. I've seen pictures, but I haven't heard any mention of the correct Top Grille Brackets. Where can you get the bracket that mounts the grille onto the bracket that supports the Hood Pins? See the photo.

You can see it with the diamond shape at the bend in the bracket going from the grille to the hood pin support.

The 67 bracket is flat and not bent the same and does not have the diamond shape in the middle at the bend. Does anyone know where I can get two of the correct brackets?

Attachments

• hcs-hoodlatch2.JPG
    hcs-hoodlatch2.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

68gt390

The original hood lock retainer pieces are almost impossible to find these days. I know when they replaced mine they used an after market type. My after market retainers do not have the same sheet metal screws that allow it to be adjusted up or down. Also, the pin that runs from top to bottom on the originals for the hood locks to attach to runs at an angle from top corner to bottom corner. They also do not have any way of attaching the grille bracket to them either. I have been looking for an original set but, so far have had no luck. Most restoration shops should carry the after market type. If you are unable to find them contact Kevin at KAR here in Columbus, OH at 1-800-341-5949. Last time I was there they had a couple of the after market sets left. Mine work fine but, I would prefer to have the originals. I just don't like not being able to attach the grille bracket. The bracket simply slides inside of the retainer. My brackets have some form of stamping on them but, it's hard to make out. I've sometimes wondered if they are not the type used on the Shelby's.

Don

Attachments

• Hood Lock 1.JPG
    Hood Lock 1.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Hood Lock 2.JPG
    Hood Lock 2.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

No you've got the wrong bracket I was talking about. I see the difference in the hood latch attachment bracket you have but I'm talking about the diamond shaped stamped bracket... look at the modified picture. I meant the diamond shape punched into the bracket that attaches from the grille to the hood pin bracket.

Attachments

• Hood Lock 1.JPG
    Hood Lock 1.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

68gt390

68MustangHCS said:
No you've got the wrong bracket I was talking about. I see the difference in the hood latch attachment bracket you have but I'm talking about the diamond shaped stamped bracket... look at the modified picture. I meant the diamond shape punched into the bracket to attaches from the grille to the hood pin bracket.

Steve;
My grille is also an after market piece. The bracket you are talking about is also hard to find if not impossible to find. I have not seen an after market bracket out there anywhere. Unless you've got an original grille you probably will not find those type brackets anywhere.

Don

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

68gt390 said:
Steve;
My grille is also an after market piece. The bracket you are talking about is also hard to find if not impossible to find. I have not seen an after market bracket out there anywhere.

Don
Thanks Don,
I see your delimma. Next time someone is parting out a wrecked one, we need to jump on these hard to find parts. In the mean time if anyone has any idea or a lead where to find these small brackets, let me know. Thanks...

68gt390

That's why I try to watch ebay from time to time hoping to see an original grille but, so far no luck. I'm sure if one happens to come up it will be at a high premium. Even the swap meets I've gone to I have yet to find one. With our grille being unique to the CS only makes it hard. There are not that many folks out there making an after market grille and like you mentioned the bracket's on the 67 are flat.

Don

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

Herck lucked out a few months ago and scored a grille or two for some top bucks, I think he even got a set of Marchel lights with his. I think he wanted the lights, I've tried several times to talk him into selling me the grille, but I think he's going to keep that one for a spare. Then there is a guy named 68gtcs on ebay that tries to sell grilles, but they are some sort of cheap repro from what I have heard.

68gt390

Here's a good one for you. They advertise it as a grille for both 67 Mustang and 68 GT/CS. Strange that it has no fog light brackets so even after you buy it you've still got to modify it to make it work. Makes me wonder about false advertising. You'd think they would mention will fit 68 GT/CS with slight modifications. The way they word the ad kinda makes me wonder just how reputable they really are. I'm sure it's not intentional but, if they are in the restoration business you'd think they would know their parts. :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8027032558

Don

390cs68rcode

I thought Tony Branda carries these?

NPD part # 16934-2a for the hood pin mounting brackets. the part that connects to the grille is a toughy to find.

PFSlim

Grill Brackets

I am alittle lost on what you guys are talking about. Here are a couple of pictures from my car. I am almost sure these are original brackets but the grill came from Delta Mustang.

Does it look original?

Paul

Attachments

• DSC01224.JPG
    DSC01224.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01225.JPG
    DSC01225.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 60

Perkchiro

The bracket in question came attached to my aftermarket grille with pop rivets. I drilled those out and replaced them with tinner's rivets. It has the "diamond" stamping too so I think it looks like the original. To my knowledge, I've never seen these sold individually as an aftermarket item.

Steve

PFSlim

68MustangHCS said:
I've noticed a lot of questions about the grille and converting a 67 grille to a GT/CS HCS grille. Mentioned are the Foglight Brackets from Delta Bay, and the rivits from amk products. I've seen pictures, but I haven't heard any mention of the correct Top Grille Brackets. Where can you get the bracket that mounts the grille onto the bracket that supports the Hood Pins? See the photo.

You can see it with the diamond shape at the bend in the bracket going from the grille to the hood pin support.

The 67 bracket is flat and not bent the same and does not have the diamond shape in the middle at the bend. Does anyone know where I can get two of the correct brackets?

So, if I understand and mine is correct (or at least what you are looking for) then you can get the grill from Delta Mustang. That is where my grill came from. I bought my Marchal brackets from them as well.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Herck

68MustangHCS said:
Herck lucked out a few months ago and scored a grille or two for some top bucks, I think he even got a set of Marchel lights with his. I think he wanted the lights, I've tried several times to talk him into selling me the grille, but I think he's going to keep that one for a spare. Then there is a guy named 68gtcs on ebay that tries to sell grilles, but they are some sort of cheap repro from what I have heard.
Sorry my friend i only have one california special grill i was sent two but the other grill was just a 67 grill a friend has a calli grill ill c if he will part with it. and post if he will. but he never wants to part with stuff he keeps everything.

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

PFSlim said:
I am alittle lost on what you guys are talking about. Here are a couple of pictures from my car. I am almost sure these are original brackets but the grill came from Delta Mustang.

Does it look original?

Paul

The Diamond shape is highlighted in red in this picture repost....
1968 standard and 1967 standard grilles don't have this indention.

Attachments

• DSC01225.JPG
    DSC01225.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 61

Mosesatm

Here is a photo showing the comparison between my reproduction '67 grille and Bill's original GT/CS grille.

Last edited:
OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

Mosesatm said:
Here is a photo showing the comparison between my reproduction '67 grille and Bill's original GT/CS grille.
Mose,
You know what I am looking for. Where did you get this grille with that bracket?
Steve...
P.S. Thanks again for the lights...

Mosesatm

Sorry Steve, but I bought mine on eBay.

BTW, Larry's T-Bird has GT/CS grilles for sale but I don't know what makes them GT/CS grilles. They are about $40 more expensive than their '67 grilles.

PFSlim

Steve

As stated in my earlier post, I got my repo grill from Delta Mustang and it has the diamond shape bracket.

Paul