• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 Tilt Steering

Duker

Because of my back knee and ankle, I seem to be having problems getting out of the car. Anyone know about period correct tilt. My wife is on my case to make things easier on me.:embarass:

I even thought a differant steering wheel,smaller may help.

Can anyone assist me please

Duker

tomcwarren

I don't think you'll find 'period correct' (TiltAway) anywhere for a reasonable price, plus it's hella complicated.

I put an Ididit column in mine, with a LaCarra wheel. Works great, really easy install.

I can dig out the invoice and give you part #'s and prices if you want (I think I got it from Michael's Hot Rod Shop - great folks!).

Tom

OP
OP
D

Duker

Tom, I wouldn't mind the prices if you can. Someone at the cruise night suggested aftermarket tilt but I have been so anal about keeping things original.

I guess the circumstances determine what get's me driving the car in comfort.

Thanks guys

Duker

tomcwarren

Bought it from Street Rods by Michael (srbymichael.com) - best price I found back in June of '08.

"Ididit 66-69 Mustang Steel Tilt Column, Floor Shift $350"

I also needed a Borgeson 3/4 36 x 3/4 36 rag joint ($90) to mate it to the box. And a can of Light Parchment paint to make it match my interior. And an adapter to bolt it to my LeCarra wheel, since the Ididit column comes w/a GM spline pattern.

So all told, probably $500. But it's great - I pop it up when I park & get out, and lock it back down when I'm in and ready to pull out of the garage. Great product.

HTH,

Tom

66hcs-conv

Duker,

If I could offer a little bit of advice: once you get the steering column and the wheel switched, save the all old parts. If ya ever want to sell the car it could be switched back or the new owner would have the parts to do so.

Just my .02 worth.

Have fun! Dave

clubpro

Hey guys don't forget about R&R Classics. I can get the Flaming River column for 287.95 and the mounting kit for $120.95. I also have the Lacarra steering wheel, center hub and horn button for $199.95.

Cheers,

Ron

GTCS95616

I used to have a 1968 Mustang with a factory break-away tilt steering column. It would break toward about the 1:00 to 2:00 o'clock position with vehicle off and tilt like a regular tilt wheel too. The tilt is operated by the turn signal arm. When I first bought the car (used) I thought something was wrong when the break-away feature was activated for the first time.

This steering column is found more frequently on Cougars and Thunderbird.

BroadwayBlue

I put the Flaming River tilt in with the original wheel a few years ago.

I painted it to match the interior and it looks original to most observers.
I've even heard some people at shows that seemed to know Mustangs well refer to it as an original tilt. I've been real happy with it and if you're not concerned about MCA judging it looks great and not out of place.

I agree about saving old parts - I have all my old parts and my original column saved.

aemoo28

So in my car my steering wheel is always in the way and I have to shoe horn myself in & out. Steve's car on the other hand has the perfect little steering wheel that is perfect.

Did these cars come with different sized steering wheels?

DeadStang

So in my car my steering wheel is always in the way and I have to shoe horn myself in & out. Steve's car on the other hand has the perfect little steering wheel that is perfect.

Did these cars come with different sized steering wheels?

No, stock all were the same.

aemoo28

Attachments

• Satan in pictures for CS.com 018.jpg
    Satan in pictures for CS.com 018.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 45

Mustanglvr

That looks like a stock 68 steering wheel Amy, it's what originally would have come from the factory.

franklinair

Amy;
The photo of your steering wheel- can't tell if it's level or not. It's got the horn ring on the top, as if it's turned 180 degrees.
Are you talking about the Mustang emblem in the center of the pad? If so, it can be removed by prying it out, and re-installed straight, & glued to secure it.

Neil

JohnnyQuest515

I hate the 68 steering wheel, looks like it should belong on a Rambler. I would rather have a Shelby style wheel with Tilt of course.

**I ordered the Lacarra Shelby Style steering wheel yesterday from RNR!**

Randy

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Duker

Thank you all and sorry for the delay replying. Son went off to school.:sad:

I agree the 68 steering wheel is hard to look at. The 66, 67 wood wheels are more stylish for that sports car look.

Cheers

Duker