• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

"Front" sticker on air cleaners

390cs68rcode

I have had a few discussions with people reguarding the "Front" sticker on air cleaners. In the current (July 2006) Muscle Car Enthusiast Magazine page 46-49 there is a article on a "perfect" throughbred restored 67 with a 390. This car clearly shows the "Front" sticker on the air cleaner.

Also, there is no "Caution" sticker on the fan shroud.

RedGTvert

390cs68rcode said:
I have had a few discussions with people reguarding the "Front" sticker on air cleaners. In the current (July 2006) Muscle Car Enthusiast Magazine page 46-49 there is a article on a "perfect" throughbred restored 67 with a 390. This car clearly shows the "Front" sticker on the air cleaner.

Also, there is no "Caution" sticker on the fan shroud.

Sounds like it may not be Thourghbred correct to me. Every book I have shows the Caution should be on the shroud regardless of engine.

twoclassics

Caution fan

There is a NOS fan shroud on ebay 4647846022 has the caution fan label on it, that is probably why they sell the decals, because they are suppose to be on there

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

twoclassics said:
There is a NOS fan shroud on ebay 4647846022 has the caution fan label on it, that is probably why they sell the decals, because they are suppose to be on there

that looks like a service replacement part.

I have talked to a few people who specialize on originality and a couple have stated the caution stickers were not on the shrouds. Also the perfect throughbred in that article does not show one. It has to be right to be a throughbred and get a gold award at a national show. If it needed a sticker it would have one on it.

quicknick

It has always been my understanding that no San Jose Mustangs came with a "Caution Fan" decal on the fan shroud. None of my CS's have it and 2 of these cars are unrestored.

twoclassics

That is a good point, different plants doing different things, happens all the time, also have noticed that the 67's do not have the caution fan sticker and most of the 68's do, maybe a change over item, food for thought Chuck

J_Speegle

First there shouild be no Caution decal used on these cars. The decal was sent out to orginal/registered owners of Ford products in 72-73 (sorry can't remember the exact date) With the decal was a set of instructions on the need for the decal and instructions for its placement. All dealers were supplied (thats why you see tons of these for sale on Ebay) with the same and instructed to install them on all Fords that came through for service or came through as used cars as well as their current new inventory.

All of this was part of the settlement of a law suit.

As for the front decal on San Jose cars in 68-up. Yes they are included in every decal kit you buy today. Over the last thirty years I've yet to see one on an original air cleaner on an original car or in a wrecking yard. I do not place them on my car and will deduct for them, when I can, (if the rules allow) while judging

Hope this helps

twoclassics

J Speegle, Awesome, it is nice to get the right info, and we had it all along, Jason was right again

case12

I checked with one of the members on the site that is an original owner of the CS, and he said the "caution" fan sticker was there, but the "front" sticker is not? I am not disputing the conclusions here...just bringing in another point of reference. Casey

J_Speegle

case12 said:
I checked with one of the members on the site that is an original owner of the CS, and he said the "caution" fan sticker was there, but the "front" sticker is not? I am not disputing the conclusions here...just bringing in another point of reference. Casey

Casey... thanks confirmed everything like others have. And in no way does it dispute the conclusions

ViCatz

Hey Guys
I was directed here by a fellow Cougar owner.
As previous Vice Pres of the Cougar Club of America I addressed the Caution Fan decal.
Those who have a Master Parts Catalogue can refer to a section called decalmania in which you will see the decal is called out as C0A iirc prefix. 1960 Prefix.
This Caution Fan decal went on full size cars like Lincolns Birds Galaxie.
It did not and never was present on ANY Falcon Fairlane COMET Cougar or Mustang till 73.
Where it states this is under decalmania in the MPC.
Many think it was there or should be however it is incorrect for all Mustangs Cougars etc pre 73.
The decals appear on NOS pieces built after 1972 or so.
From what I learned in the year I spent on this is that the Ford flex fans were breaking and coming thru hoods rads and human flesh eventually killing a Ford Technician.Then the notice went out Jeff Speegle (Hi Jeff) speaks of.
On my site www.classiccougar.net/Forum you will find more discussion about this incorrect but often seen on "original" and restored cars decal.

To see the effort and exasperation I went thru with CCoA trying to update the judging guidelines search www.mercurycougar.net for Caution fan as a search title and read up the 20-30 pages of info and discussion there.

I have a pdf of the Mercury MPC I can provide anyone interested just email me.
As to the FRONT decal.
Myself I have never seen one on any Factory Ford myself.
I hear that it was a 67 ONLY part.
Someone (including me) could look in MPC for the air cleaner decal mania section for verification.
As a side note I have seen many air cleaner housings that did not appear to have had the AUTOLITE decal.
Also note that Bob Perkins Museum factory cars have no (CatinFan) decal present aside from the 429 and that Bob himself will tell you the Caution Fan decal was not present from factory.
Jim Smart can also confirm this but it took a call from CCoA to Bob P to confirm what I had been telling CCoA all along.

It was a nasty point of contention in the Cougar community as the CCoA guidelines call for it as may or may not have but I know it never was there.
I have worked on Fords since 1976 and specialize in 66/70 FoMoCo.
Details is my "thing" and the cat in fan decal was always a peeve of mine on "restored" cars.
Never was there, ever.
Catzya
Ray XVP CCoA

J_Speegle

Hi Ray thanks for some additional support of this. With all the pictures of cars in magazines with the CAUTION decal they will not go away soon :( Yes the Cougar guys got allot uglier than what I've seen elsewhere

As for the "FRONT" decal I've got pictures back to at least 65 of original cars with that decal in place.

"As a side note I have seen many air cleaner housings that did not appear to have had the AUTOLITE decal."

Cars from which factory? Can't say I've seen many SJ cars without them in 68 or at least the remains (glue at least)

ViCatz

Hi Jeff
The FRONT decal I have not seen but as you state 65 66 the 67 ONLY would refer to Cougar as there was no 65 66 Cougar. I now understand that,thanks.
As for the AUTOLITE decal a search on MercuryCougar.net with 69 air filter assemblies will get the info up on what my experience was.
Basically what I see is that high performance engines almost always got the Autolite decal where-as many lower performance engines do not appear to have had this. I took a trip and looked at many original unrestored cars in Pacific NW as well as visited well known respected names in Cougarland regarding these decals and their correctness.

My referrance is mainly Dearborn 69 builds.

As for the Cat in Fan decal you are right it will take some time for this to go away .
With guys like yourself and others sharing the correct info now we know better what was original/correct and what is a points deduction.
:wink:
PS a look thru old magazines of the 66/70 era will show that not all got the Autolite decal and that NONE got the caution fan decal.

J_Speegle

ViCatz sorry for the confusion I cover many years and models.

We're getting off the point a little since this is a San Jose 68 site but lets share

Our experiances differ a bit but will keep looking. Did look through some of the pictures I have and found the following

A couple of "lowly" Dearborn cars

8F03T129073

8F03T129073eng.jpg

9F01H119691
9F01H119691eng.jpg

A couple of non high performance San Jose examples from 69 this time

9R01F125116
9R01F125116eng.jpg

9R91H502xx0
9R91H502xx0crusie.jpg

And a 12K original miles Mach I
12KMach.jpg