• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

quality fiberglass vendor for GT/CS endcaps

dbeal

Who are the best vendors of quality fiberglass? I am getting closer to sending the car back to the body shop for panel fitment, and need to get the rear quarter endcaps, and side scoops. I have heard Branda has pretty good quality, are there any others?

Mosesatm

The one that interests me is Stangaholics. Their stuff looks good on the screen and the talk a good game but I've never used them. Their scoops look great but are expensive.

Be careful with the side scoops because many of the Mustang parts suppliers sell scoops with 2 bolts instead of one center bolt.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1982;start=0#msg13147 date=1123121407]

Be careful with the side scoops because many of the Mustang parts suppliers sell scoops with 2 bolts instead of one center bolt.
[/quote]

Don't you mean 2 holes for the exposed screws and the center screw that is visible only from the inside quarter panel? see page 44 of the 1988 recognition guide.

(don't want to confuse anyone unless they have seen the scoop off the car).

Mosesatm

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1982;start=0#msg13155 date=1123143436]
[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1982;start=0#msg13147 date=1123121407]

[/quote]

Don't you mean 2 holes for the exposed screws and the center screw that is visible only from the inside quarter panel? see page 44 of the 1988 recognition guide.

[/quote]

Nope, some scoops on the market have 2 offset bolts instead of one center bolt, so always look at the underside before you purchase. Here is a picture of the scoop sold by MustangsPlus. It has other issues I don't like but it also has the 2 bolts.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1982;start=0#msg13157 date=1123161511]
[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1982;start=0#msg13155 date=1123143436]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nope, some scoops on the market have 2 offset bolts instead of one center bolt, so always look at the underside before you purchase. Here is a picture of the scoop sold by MustangsPlus. It has other issues I don't like but it also has the 2 bolts.
[/quote]

Here is a single-bolt scoop.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Here is the scoop from Stangaholics. Note that the screw holes are not correct.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Finally a scoop from MustangsUnilmited. Correct screw holes but don't know about the post. Branda doesn't have pictures of his scoops on his website. So, as you can see, you really need to shop around and ask a lot of questions.

Last edited:

case12

Looks like only the MustangsUnlimited ones have the witness line? Casey (I painfully have one scoop with the witness line and one without, and trying to decide if it is worth the pain to change one out - since it something most people dont even know.....?)

Mustanger

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1982;start=0#msg13187 date=1123193503]
This looks like a nice set but dang they are expensive!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/must...566754118QQcategoryZ34204QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[/quote]

After looking at the link, I realized that I know "Rebel Mustang", and I've met Steve, the owner, before... interesting guy, real sharp, and I think he's still an MCA judge, he really knows his Mustangs ... ;D

68gt390

For that kind of "buy it now" price they can keep them. I'll pass. Will have to watch this and see if they get any bids. So far nata. I wonder why - maybe price. I've also seen their rear fiberglass for the tail lights. It's also mucho $$$$$$$.

Don ::)

PFSlim

We ordered our end caps and one deck lid from Branda. First, our deck lid. It was a great piece. Fit was good and a worthwhile piece to have.

Second, the end caps. They were the only ones I could find and they were the last ones they had. The fit was not that good. In other words, they were two straight instead of having the curve of the rear quarter. We had to add layers of fiberglass to get them to look good. I don't know if this was Branda's fault as it seems to me that almost all end caps will require some work to fit rear quarters. By the way, we removed and replaced our rear quarter panels as well.

So, just my thoughts. Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
D

dbeal

Thanks for all the input so far.. I think I will try Mustangs Unlimited as I have bought items from them and they have been really good to deal with.

Mosesatm

[quote author=dbeal link=board=1;threadid=1982;start=0#msg13212 date=1123271338]
Thanks for all the input so far.. I think I will try Mustangs Unlimited as I have bought items from them and they have been really good to deal with.
[/quote]

I'll second that comment. Although they really messed me up with the overhead console bracket they at least called me at work and let me know there was a problem. Not too many companies would have done that. And after dealing with John's Mustang again (for the last time) I think M.U. is the way to go.

jk89cat

so rebel mustang would be a good place to get this stuff from as well? waiting , to hear , beacsue int he next 6-7 months, job depending, ill be after this stuff

Mustanger

[quote author=jk89cat link=board=1;threadid=1982;start=0#msg13244 date=1123379432]
so rebel mustang would be a good place to get this stuff from as well? waiting , to hear , beacsue int he next 6-7 months, job depending, ill be after this stuff
[/quote]

I'm not saying he's the cheapest guy around, but if you talk to him about accuracy and correctness of parts, he's really good (it maybe worth the effort to talk to him just to know what to look for and what to avoid) :).

joedls

[quote author=jk89cat link=board=1;threadid=1982;start=0#msg13244 date=1123379432]
[/quote]

I haven't purchased any GT/CS parts from Rebel Mustang, but I did get a fiberglass hood, deck lid, and end caps for my 65. The first hood I got just wouldn't work. I called Steve and he told me he had a problem with his mold. He had me bring the hood back to him and exchanged it. The second hood still took quite a bit of work. I had to modify the radiator support and modify the hood supports to make it work. When I'm done with the car, I'll take it over to him and show him what I've done. The deck lid and end caps took quite a bit of work for proper fit, but from what I've heard, that's true of any of them. Steve seems like a very knowledgeable Mustang guy and really wants to make quality products. I just think he's just still working out the kinks.

OP
OP
D

dbeal

I was in conneticut the last couple of days and stopped yesterday at Mustangs unlimited. Picked up the rear quarter extensions. The finish quality of the parts looks pretty good although the fiberglass itself seems a little thin. I purchased a tail light panel from Rebel Mustang via Ebay and it is a LOT thicker fiberglass. However the finish on the exterior is not quite as good. I think I will be adding some layers of glass mat to the inside of the quarter extensions just to beef it up a little..I'll let everyone know how the fit is on my new (reproduction) quarters. ;D

DAR1

It is amazing how bad some of the repro fiberglass parts can be. For my 'Little Red' project I bought side scoops from one of the regular eBay sellers. The pieces were thin, warped and the single mounting bolt was just a wad of fiberglass with a bolt stuck into it. Oh, and the bolt was crooked. Same thing for the endcaps (also from a eBay regular) on the rear end - The shop building my car estimated 10-15 hours of finish work per side to get them to look decent. One was so warped I had to send it back. The replacement was just as bad. Lucky for me, I was able to get my money back. I wonder why it is so hard to make quality fiberglass replacement parts? My repro '67 Shelby nosepiece fits great on the body but the opening is not exactly the same shape as the grill - leaving a nice gap at the top on each side at the top.
I guess my point is - beware repro 'glass and always make sure you can return the parts.