• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Lost GT/CS at Texas A&M? Craigslist Houston listing

TheBlkPearl

This car looks pretty sad....it will take a whole lotta TLC from someone to make it smile again!

Mustanglvr

I guess, I could just suggest it be junked, so mine and all the other survivors would be more rare, but I think every GT/CS should be saved. If I had the money, I would restore every one I could find. If a person put 30,000 into it, it would be like a new car and would be worth that much. I personally don`t think it would cost that much. SAVE THE PONIES!!!!

miller511

Speaking of restoration costs, has anyone here ever posted a line by line breakdown of what it costs to completely restore a CS? PFSlim's comes to mind as a relatively recent complete restoration. SomethingSpecial is also in the process.
I completely understand if it's one of those taboo topics that people REALLY would rather not discuss. But I think it would give those folks who are contemplating doing a complete resto and starting by purchasing a CS that needs a LOT of work (like the one on the first post of this thread) some place to start from.

My personal experience with just looking into getting a nice paint job on my CS was a $5K-$6K estimate!!! Needeless to say, it's not getting painted anytime soon and I'm happy with it being a 15 footer.

Mosesatm

I think around a year ago we pretty well agreed on a figure of around $25,000 to restore a GT/CS, including the initial cost of the car.

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:
I think around a year ago we pretty well agreed on a figure of around $25,000 to restore a GT/CS, including the initial cost of the car.

don't you mean EXCLUDING the cost of the car?

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:
No, I meant including the cost of the car

I think the 25k including the cost of the car is kinda low.

I can see a 15k car that needs paint, chrome and interior. Total would be more than 25k IMO.

I could agree on 30k-40k including the car (a small block) to do it right.

whatcha think?

Mosesatm

Kind of depends on what "to do it right" means.

If you're talking about using all NOS parts and hiring out everything then, yes, one will probably spend $30K to restore a car to show condition.

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:
Kind of depends on what "to do it right" means.

If you're talking about using all NOS parts and hiring out everything then, yes, one will probably spend $30K to restore a car to show condition.

I don't want to split hairs but a FULL NOS resto and hiring out everything would cost way more than 30k.

I was not implying a full NOS resto.

Mosesatm

I guess the question then becomes, what is the definition of a restoration? I think there are just too many variables to come up with a generic number. Every car will be different.

For example, is the engine ok or does it need to be rebuilt?

Same for the trans and rear end.

Are the floors good or are they rusted out?

Are the quarters and the doors rusted through or bubbling?

Is the car going to be stripped down to the unibody and acid dipped or blasted or does the origninal paint just need to be scuffed up and repainted?

Does it have the deluxe interior and both consoles? If it needs a new floor console you're looking at $500.

Does the headliner need to be replaced? That means both windows need to be removed.

Does the glass need to be replaced?

And so on.......

Maybe we can define what a restoration is composed of or put together a list of things that almost always need to be replaced and how much those things cost.

rvrtrash

Arlie, if you want, I can send you an Excel file of my costs so you have a starting point to break everything out for one of your famous lists. I can also give you a breakdown of what condition stuff was in when I started.

Steve

Mosesatm

I think some kind of list of rough restoration costs would be a benefit to someone who is looking to buy a GT/CS.

For example what is the average cost of a normal (not a David or Joe fire breathing monster) engine rebuild on a 289? I have no idea but I'm sure others out there do.

What does it cost to hire someone to install floor pans? Again, I don't know but someone out there does.

What does a new interior cost? Ah ha, I do know that one!

nfrntau

Here are my costs to date. This can't be used as gospel for most restorations. It includes things like 4 pairs of Marchal lamps (I got a great deal and had to have them), items purchased and then not fitting and sold at a loss, aftermarket items such as rack and pinion, 9" posi, front disc conversion, etc.
The paint and body price will go up considerably when it comes time for the final finish work and paint
I estimate at least an additional 10k to get it on the road in the condition I would like. Had I decided to go 100% stock I think 20k to 30k would have done it including the cost of the car and using all stock parts.
December will mark my two year anniversary on this project, photos to be posted at that time.

Attachments

• GTCS Costs.JPG
    GTCS Costs.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 46

Stacey Enderle

Lots of TLC for this one,...

StraightSix said:
Hi all,

I've been out of the GT/CS scene for several years now since the sale of my GT/CS, but I had to tell everyone about this Craigslist listing in case a local (or even non-local) party is interested:

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/204950928.html

Maybe this is a "lost" GT/CS?

Enjoy :)

-Winston

I wouldn't declare it "lost" yet without a fight to save it. It's going to take alot to resurrect this poor thing. But I'd go for it.

Stacey