• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hood Clearance

68gt390

Although I've tried to keep my engine rebuild as close to stock as possible, this project seems to be taking on a life of it's own. Everything is ready to go but, I'm wondering if the intake I'm putting on the car will leave me enough room to actually close the hood. Block is now .30 over, heads ported and polished with oversize valves and I'll be using a BBF Victor FE Intake #2936 topped with a Street Demon 850 cfm carb. I sure as heck dont' want to have to swap out the hood. Has anyone else out there ever run this type of intake? :ponder:

Don

Attachments

• BBF Victor FE.JPG
    BBF Victor FE.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 13
  • BBF Victor FE 3.JPG
    BBF Victor FE 3.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 14
  • BBF Victor FE 5.JPG
    BBF Victor FE 5.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

I may have to go that route. Will be at a swap meet next weekend. May have to see if I can find one there. At lease that way it keeps it's stock appearance. The only thing that will give it away will be the carb and the Crane Fireball H-6 Performance Ignition box. I may even try and find a location where I can hide it from site. I've seen some folks mount them inside the car.

Don

nfrntau

Don,
If noone knows the anser I would try this. Install your block without the manifold on. Mount your carb to the manifold. Use a garbage bag to keep new manifold clean and pretty in case it doesn't fit and you want to return it. After you get the manifold set in place on your engine, not bolted in. Put your air cleaner etc. in place. Go to the toy store or the kids toybox and get some playdoh (about $2 for 5 containers). Put a piece of saran wrap below and on top of the playdo and then slowly close your hood. When you open your hood back up the playdo will show you exactly how much clearance you have. I have used this method with success on a few projects.
Bill

scott adams

I have that intake on my 68 with A 14" air cleaner with 1 1/4" drop bace with 3" element
the wing nut is up in the scoop. you would need about a 1 1/2" lower to fit with out hood scoop. maybe shorter element

390cs68rcode

for the record you should be able to find a 69 CJ intake with no problem, the 68's are tougher to find. Guess how I know?

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Thanks guys for the help. If at all possible I'd like to keep this intake because of it's flow characteristics.

Don