• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 S code barn find update - Bonnie and Clyde car

lnevill

Sorry for the delay... This car has an interesting history an I wanted to get the car home and in my shop so I could look it over before posting any more information. I brought the car home yesterday and am still unpacking parts and taking inventory but I have verified the matching VIN numbers on the engine and tranny.

Now the story: This car was known locally as the "Bonnie and Clyde" car. It had been on the receiving end of a pissed off husband's revenge. The car's owner was fooling around with his neighbor's wife AND new Harley Davidson so when the husband found out, he went ballistic.... literally. The car was shot full of holes from every angle with multiple firearms including shotguns, rifles and pistols. The PO reported over 200 holes in the car when he took possesion in 1994. Most every panel, fixture and attachement had been targeted so he purchased a rust free parts car from which he harvested all of the fixtures, fenders, firewall, hood and doors. The front inner fenders, rear quarters and right trunk drop were replaced with NOS panels.

The PO worked on the car for several years but stopped working on the car when he moved. Most of the bullet holes in the metal are now gone, but he had not done any of the fiberglass work so they remain in the deck lid and 1/4 scoops (see pictures). The 1/4 scoop pretty much say's it all and will become my avitor for this site!!

I still have a lot of research to do and more parts to unpack, but all in all this is a very solid car with an interesting history. I'll post more as I learn more.

thx
lee

Attachments

• small_1.jpg
    small_1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 99
  • small_2.jpg
    small_2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 104
  • small.jpg
    small.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 109

gtcs1

Very interesting story for sure. If it was me, I would keep this scoop intact (and even frame it...) as a legacy. You could find a replacement one to put on the car.

gtcs1

OP
OP
lnevill

lnevill

Engine block is OK and carries the original VIN number. Intake/exhaust manifolds are OK. Heads, VC's, carb, air cleaner, oil pan, etc were toast. Tranny is OK and also has original VIN number stamping.

Frames rails, shock towers, dash, floors, roof, rear seat area and trunk (except rh trunk drop) are original to car.

So here is a question sure to raise some debate: Should I be call this car "matching numbers" since it will have the original drive train, but most of the sheet metal will have been replaced?

Lee

BigJim

By definition numbers matching means the serial number of the engine block, trans and rear end all match the serial number portion of the VIN. So yes, you have and can claim to have a numbers car. Replacing the sheet metal means it is not a survivor or original car.

Ruppstang

By definition numbers matching means the serial number of the engine block, trans and rear end all match the serial number portion of the VIN. So yes, you have and can claim to have a numbers car. Replacing the sheet metal means it is not a survivor or original car.

+ 1
It is not like it was rebodied
Marty