• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Coil Spring Tools

franklinair

CAUTION

The coil spring compression tools most commonly advertised are DANGEROUS. I recently purchased on of these from NPD and almost broke my hand. They have a tendency to 'spring loose', and if your hand is close by (as mine was) it can really HURT you.
Years ago, I had used a coil spring tool from my dad's garage made by MOOG that worked great (and safely). This week I was fortunate to find the same tool on E-bay, which I bid on & bought tonite.
If you are ever in a position that requires the removal/installation of the front coil springs - be very careful. I'd be glad to loan this tool to anyone in need of it.

Neil

joedls

I found this out, too. Fortunately I didn't hurt myself. I fought that stupid thing for a couple of hours and gave up. The next day I borrowed a much better tool from someone I know and had those springs out in less than 1/2 hour. The right tool makes all the difference in the world.

Perkchiro

Same for me. The two types I've used are the external type with "claws" and the other is an internal type with "wings" that grasp the coil from the top and bottom and compress with a large screw. The later type worked better for me but both are prone to lose grip and snap the spring open suddenly. I compressed one of mine to the point that it fell out of the car and it "exploded" on the garage floor. WOW, what a quick burst of compressed energy!! No lost fingers, but ya'll are right, very dangerous. Not one of my favorite projects for sure.

Do you have a picture of the "safe" type? I'd be interested in getting something different if I have to do that job again.

joedls

Here's a pic of one that is very similar to the one I used.

Attachments

• OTC7045B-L.jpg
    OTC7045B-L.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

That's very much like the MOOG that I used in the past & am in the process of acquiring. It's sooo much better than the current market cheapos. Since I'm rebuilding the suspension on the '68 convert I bought, it's an absolute necessity.
I'm too much of a computer novice to know how to post the E-bay ad to show the photos.:embarass:

Neil (Knuckles) Hoppe

cnassif

So where do I find a good one? Are there any new ones that are any good? I was going to buy a remover tomorrow online so this couldn't have come out at a better time.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Joe/Christian;
That's the correct style of spring compressor. Price is kinda $tiff though. The MOOG set I got on E-bay cost me $41, but I remember them being expensive in the past.
Christian- if you would like to borrow it, I can UPS it to you after this week.

Neil

rvrtrash

FYI, I believe the type that grasp the spring on the outside are meant to be used with newer cars, struts, etc. I bought a set and the first time I used it, it let loose, pinching my hand and twisting at an angle so I couldn't get my air ratchet back on. I had to walk across the shop, dripping blood, in pain, to get a wrench to loosen it enough to get the spring and compressors off my hand. I'll stick with the internal rod type from now on.

Steve

robert campbell

I have a well worn internal screw type with the 2 each different length flatbar "claws" that grab the spring on the top and on the bottom. Never have had a problem with it. Works great with an air impact gun rather than the slow ratchet method.

But it seems best as a two man job. I am the one with my hands on the coil spring while someone else tightens it down. My biggest problem is on the way back in with the spring, determining the proper amount of spring to grab. To little and you can't get it in, and if to much it gets pinned in the bottom on the spring perch.... Gots ta be just right......

Rob

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

The internal claw type is what nearly broke my hand when it popped loose. I'll never use it again. Now I've got the MOOG tool that is perfecto. I work on my cars solomente', so I need to be able to do the various jobs in that manner. (Would you believe someone once called me a hardheaded German?):wink:
Christian - PM me with your address if you wish to borrow the spring compressor.

Neil

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Today I re-installed the right coil spring, and removed the left one. Piece Of Cake:grin:. I'll re-install it next week, with the new upper & lower control arms. (Peggy & I are taking a few days off and going to Cincinnati for the weekend)
Talk to you all next week.

Neil

Tequila

sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am having no fun installing new springs on my mustang. First I bought the inner spring compressor, and it didn't work out. I knew they were somewhat dangerous but after reading this thread I am not going to use it again. I was watching the West Coast Classic Cougar channel and came across the following tool.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/...73-Mercury-Cougar-1965-1973-Ford-Mustang.html

I bought one and it did an awesome job of compressing the spring, but the stud on the perch wont line up with the UCA. Even without the springs I have to tap it with a hammer for it to go in. I think it is an issue with either the UCA or the Scott Drake spring perch, and not the tool. I am thinking I need to attach the spring perch to the UCA first and then the spring. So, this tool probably won't work.

Does the Moog tool attach to the spring perch, similar to the West Coast Classic Cougar tool or does it attach directly to the spring?

Thanks.

Tequila

Thanks Rob. Mine is similar. Are you using any spacers? I didn't use any spacers and may be that's my issue. The rod goes past the end of the spring when compressing it.

robert campbell

Thanks Rob. Mine is similar. Are you using any spacers? I didn't use any spacers and may be that's my issue. The rod goes past the end of the spring when compressing it.

If you have stock height, brand new, springs it can be a PITA to get just the right amount of compressed area. You need the top end of the compressor as far up the spring as possible and same with the bottom. As far a spread as you can and not trap it when the spring is expanded.

If you install it before installing the lower ball joint, it allows for more travel on the upper control arm. If you just installed the lower ball joint into the spindle, they are somewhat easier to break loose. And new stiff spring perches can be stubborn to move sometimes. The 620 springs that are a lot easier to install. They compress enough to get in without the end of the compressor getting in the way.

Rob

Mosesatm

sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am having no fun installing new springs on my mustang. First I bought the inner spring compressor, and it didn't work out. I knew they were somewhat dangerous but after reading this thread I am not going to use it again. I was watching the West Coast Classic Cougar channel and came across the following tool.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/...73-Mercury-Cougar-1965-1973-Ford-Mustang.html

I bought one and it did an awesome job of compressing the spring, but the stud on the perch wont line up with the UCA. Even without the springs I have to tap it with a hammer for it to go in. I think it is an issue with either the UCA or the Scott Drake spring perch, and not the tool. I am thinking I need to attach the spring perch to the UCA first and then the spring. So, this tool probably won't work.

Does the Moog tool attach to the spring perch, similar to the West Coast Classic Cougar tool or does it attach directly to the spring?

Thanks.

This may be a little off-topic but here is a thread about Scott Drake upper and lower control arms.
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8881
Below is a photo of a Scott Drake spring perch not fitting into a Scott Drake upper control arm.

Attachments

• Scott Drake Parts.jpg
    Scott Drake Parts.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 25

Tequila

This may be a little off-topic but here is a thread about Scott Drake upper and lower control arms.
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8881
Below is a photo of a Scott Drake spring perch not fitting into a Scott Drake upper control arm.

This is exactly the issue that I am having too. The spring perch and the control arm are not lining up properly. Bummer. As Rob mentioned in the previous post, the spring I am also using is factory length and therefore is a pain to get it compressed.

Thanks for the info.