• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Radio antenna location-GT/CS

PB gtcs

The car my brother and I are completely rebuilding a GT/CS. The car has an antenna hole on drivers side rear fender near the front corner of the trunk.

I looked at the gallery and see no other cars like that. WE know well the second owner who bought the car just three years old. He said it was like that when he bought it.

Can this be the stock position??

B.

coralsnake

I think antennas were installed by the dealerships. They were left off, so they were not broken during shipping. The dealer could put the thing anywhere. I spoke to a mechanic who told me this. It would also explain the variation in the types of antennas used. I would say if your antenna is period correct and that's where it was....it is probably "stock". I have seen different antennas in different locations on 68 Shelbys, that were stock.

68sunlitgold

I guess it depends on what you mean by stock. The original intended position of all Mustangs to include the CS is the front passenger fender. You are also correct that the antennas where not installed during shipping and the dealers installed them, but I do believe the holes where already in the fenders and all the dealers did was but it in place. The base of the antenna should be round not square like 69 and later. I would believe that sometime in your cars past someone either replaced the front fender and then but the antenna in the rear or filled in the hole in front, did you look if the hole in the front fender is filled in or if the fender is original?
Doug

hcsstang

::) I found that some replacement antenna were rectangular in 68. when I went to put the round antenna on it would not cover the holes up. It had one large hole with two smaller ones in the front and back . So I put the rectangular one on. If I caught it before I painted the fender I would of corrected it but it was to late. :eek:

x-codegtcs

I think that only the Shelby's were optioned by the dealer to have the rear mounted antenna - of course this is only a "think". I have seen quite a few old production photos, it would be interesting to see if I can find some of those and check to see if the fender is pre-punched. Manufacturing wise, I would think that Ford would pre-punch this as it would be a potential disaster if the fenders were getting scratched.

As for the 8 GT/CS's in the immediate area - all are front fender mounted.

If anyone comes across photos or info, please email me.

OP
OP
P

PB gtcs

Thanks to all for your notes. Doing more research here looks like the car came from a dealer that sold several Shelbys. The guy we bought the car from has owned several Shelby Mustangs. Thus, the position makes sense to a Shelby owner.

Will see what happens with the next front fender. If the hole is there, will have a decision to make.

Thanks again for the replies. We appreciate the help.

B.

xcodegtcs

Shelby had them placed on the rear quarter due to a fiberglass hood. The rear postion prevented radio noise from the ignition (ever run soild core wires), As GT/CS's should have them in the passenger fender which the factory fender came with a hole. My left front fender is a replacement and does not have the precut hole. So the previous owner put a small hole in the drivers side rear quarter and installed a power antenna. He didn't want to cut a hole in the fender as he thought it looked better. I agree, although it is not original.