• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Finishing touches... need advice on several items

Mosesatm

How long is the stock mirror, not the holes, but the entire base?

ETA
I found one and it's 5 3/4" center to center. Would a full-size Ford have a larger mirror that looks similar?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bassman2

How long is the stock mirror, not the holes, but the entire base?

ETA
I found one and it's 5 3/4" center to center. Would a full-size Ford have a larger mirror that looks similar?

Thats what I'm hoping to find! Still looking.

Ruppstang

Rob must take the ball off when he drives it because I am sure that the antenna would break off with the speed and wind resistance.

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Looks like my rubber bumpers for the trunk lid got filled in... Just confirming - Our trunks use the same location as regular coupes for the round rubber bumpers?

Mosesatm

There are no rubber bumpers that I can recall.
Shelby convertibles have bumpers, but not our cars - if we're talking about the same thing.

Attachments

• DSC04231.jpg
    DSC04231.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04230.jpg
    DSC04230.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 25

Ruppstang

Just the foam tapes on the sides of the deck lid where it mates with the quarter extension.

68sunlitgold

Looks like my rubber bumpers for the trunk lid got filled in... Just confirming - Our trunks use the same location as regular coupes for the round rubber bumpers?

Here are two pictures of the foam on the trunk lid, the first is original and the second one during restoration (not my cars). Hope this helps.

Doug

Attachments

• 101_2877.jpg
    101_2877.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 31
  • 1066377561582_decklid_foam_001.jpg
    1066377561582_decklid_foam_001.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
B

bassman2

Great info here and confirming a few unique things on our cars. No round trunk bumpers that are included in every bumper kit... I picked up some camper seal tape and I'll cut it down to look like the pic above! Thanks!!!

Things installed this week: Console, radio, seat belts, package tray & speakers, interior quarter trim pieces (TMI replacements until I take the dents out of my originals), cleaned & prepped fog lights for install, Driver's Sport Mirror installed, mirror remote cable re-tapped (fixing broken knob) & finally replaced all locks (still need to get the door lock retention snaps on... my arm won't fit through the hole!

OP
OP
B

bassman2

I'm struggling with some poorly made door panels and ready to throw them in the trash.

Who makes the best reproduction door panels that allow the clips to actually fit?

franklinair

Door lock clip:
With the window UP, reach thru the inside triangular door opening to slide the clip onto the lock. (Wear a long sleeve shirt to avoid cuts/abrasions. Ask me how I know.:confused:) If your arm is long enough you can see thru the cutout at the door upper rear at the same time.

Door panels:
What brand do you have? I've had luck with TMI. NONE are close tolerance manufacture.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 26
  • ALL PHOTOS 261.jpg
    ALL PHOTOS 261.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
B

bassman2

My neighbor has skinnier arms than I and he managed to get the clips on! I guess I lift weights too much cause my upper arm wouldn't fit in the triangular hole!

I'll give TMI door panels a shot. The ones I have are generic panels from CJ pony parts...I can't even get the clips to stay in the backing.

robert campbell

First you should start with new clips. Second you need to fit each clip to the door panel just barely holding it on the panel. Do not put it completely on the panel. Most of them install towards the square end of the hole in the panel, but not all of them. Hold the panel up to the door and you will be able to see that all of the clips are lined up to the holes in the door. It is easy to tell. After you are confident that the clips are where they need to be, push them all the way on. Sometimes the clip needs to be spread apart slightly to push it onto the panel. Not to o loose but not so tight it ruins the cardboard.

Next clean every clip hole in the door of the goop that the water shield sticks to. It can be everywhere. Then use white lithium grease in each clip hole and a little bit on each clip. This will help them slide in easily and snap. Only use your thumb to push them in. Ensure your thumb is centered over the part of the clip that secures to the door panel. This will ensure it does not tip and mar your panel on the side you see if it try's to tip rather than snap in.

I have been very successful using this care and process to put them on.

Rob

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Well I totally cheated. My door panels are poorly made IMO and the clips would not fit onto them to my satisfaction.

I bought some 3m low profile dual lock fastener and taped it up on the door. Then pressed the panel on and presto! It worked. At least for a while until I buy a better panel.

On your sport mirrors... what is holding the remote knuckle to the back side of the door panel? I have a 90degree knuckle and a bezel, but it seems like I should have something to fix to the back of the door panel... I can pull it through if I wanted to...

robert campbell

Scott is all over it as usual! My right mirror is not remotely controlled. I love them and think they look great on the earlier Mustangs.

Rob