• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hood Pin C-Clip Retainer Question

BroadwayBlue

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I could swear I posted this but I can't find it!

I was working on my car the other night and when I closed the hood, the hood pin and spring popped off onto the ground!! :eek:
I thought that was odd. I haven't really driven this car since I got it back in June. I looked closer and both pins can be pulled right out.

Looking at Paul's original book, I think I'm missing the "C-clip retainer".

What was the restorer thinking?

I don't see it for sale anywhere but figured I'd ask here.

They don't by chance sell just the c-clip retainer do they?

Does anyone know if it's a standard clip I could get at a
hardware store or something?

I guess I could look for a used set of pins that aren't in great shape for the clips. I'm concerned someone is going to swipe them at a show if I leave the hood open.
They could do it with the hood closed too but it's real easy if it's open.

If anyone has a picture of the underside of a correct hood pin would be great. I don't think I have a pic of that from my old car.

Is the c-clip all that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Mosesatm

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I could swear I posted this but I can't find it!

I was working on my car the other night and when I closed the hood, the hood pin and spring popped off onto the ground!! :eek:
I thought that was odd. I haven't really driven this car since I got it back in June. I looked closer and both pins can be pulled right out.

Looking at Paul's original book, I think I'm missing the "C-clip retainer".

What was the restorer thinking?

I don't see it for sale anywhere but figured I'd ask here.

They don't by chance sell just the c-clip retainer do they?

Does anyone know if it's a standard clip I could get at a
hardware store or something?

I guess I could look for a used set of pins that aren't in great shape for the clips. I'm concerned someone is going to swipe them at a show if I leave the hood open.
They could do it with the hood closed too but it's real easy if it's open.

If anyone has a picture of the underside of a correct hood pin would be great. I don't think I have a pic of that from my old car.

Is the c-clip all that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

It's under "Classifieds".

Home Depot has the clips for around $.15 each, or for a pair, can't remember. That little clip is all that holds the hood pin down. My mechanic used a wire tie. I should say, "my former mechanic".

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

It's under "Classifieds".

Home Depot has the clips for around $.15 each, or for a pair, can't remember. That little clip is all that holds the hood pin down. My mechanic used a wire tie. I should say, "my former mechanic".

Thanks Arlie LOL! I searched for threads I started today but not posts. I didn't realize I put it under another thread. Must be getting tired it's late.

I deleted my post in the other thread so you can too.

Back to the clips... Thanks for the info!! I guess I could take my pin with me to find the right size.

Cool!

nfrntau

I found replacement clips at the local Ace hardware. If you take the pin with you, they should be able to set you up with a new pair.

GT/CS S Code

My new set of hood pins arrived today!

My set of NOS Ford in the box hood pins arrived in today's mail ... c/w the elusive "C" clips ....
We'll replace our old original pitted up set with these new ones, but I'll head down to Home Depot or someone similar and find some spare "C" clips for future reference and spares.
Thanks for the tip Arlie! :wink:

Attachments

• NOS hood pins in the boxes 011.jpg
    NOS hood pins in the boxes 011.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 25
  • NOS hood pins in the boxes 008.jpg
    NOS hood pins in the boxes 008.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 31