• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Console, steering wheel resto.

rvrtrash

Does anyone know of a reputable restorer that can repair my steering wheel or console. I asked before and started looking on the auction site for new ones, but they all seem to need work or are the wrong color. Thanks for any leads. I'm actually close enough to being done that I'm dealing with this now.
Steve

hcsstang

My car came with a Grant steering wheel. Which was in bad shape. I purchased a repo and it fit pretty good. Word to the wise if you have a automatic change the shifter bushing while the console is out.

PB gtcs

Steve, my brother Paul will be near a computer in the next couple of days. He can give some advise as well. Depending on what you need done to the console, we have a franchise operation here in the KC area that is called Vinyl Doctor. My understanding from some of my car dealer buddies they can work magic with all kinds of vinyl repair.

As far as the steering wheel, I was reading with interest in Pauls second book about Steering wheel covers. Dont know the page, but he has some discussion about if a steering wheel cover was "original" equip. Others can comment, we used that as an excuse to use one at least temp. Ours was "OK", but found a cover that worked nicely. You can see it in our gallery.

Brian

68sunlitgold

Steve,
I am not 100% sure but I thought in my last Tony Branda catalog that he offered wheel restoration, if he does not I bet he could suggest someone that does.

Doug

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

The console needs the vinyl/foam pad replaced and the camera case finish redone. Also, someone cut one side of the storage compartment out, so that needs replaced. It would probably be easier and cheaper to buy a repop if someone made one. I looked on Branda's site for the wheel restoration but didn't see anything. I'll contact him in the next few days. Thanks for the leads.
Steve

PFSlim

Steve

What color is your console? Is it auto or manual?

I bought mine off ebay. It was in pretty good shape but needed some repair on the plastic as it slides under the dash. I basically glued these pieces back in and used some fiberglass to repair.

As you might know, you can buy paint to match your interior color. Our console came in Aqua and I painted blue. The color really turned out nice. Many folks buy and paint whatever color they need.

Don't know that I can help out much more. Let me know whether you are auto or manual shift and maybe I can give you some more ideas. As well, what color is your interior (what color is the console?)

Paul

ironhorse

I'm not sure of the issue (or even certain on the magazine), but I believe the dearly departed Fabulous Mustangs and Exotic Fords had an article on restoring deluxe steering wheels around, oh, 1990. As I recall, the author filled cracks in the steering wheel with epoxy, sanded them smooth and repainted the wheel with two browns to duplicate the wood. Looked pretty good, if I recall correctly. And much cheaper than sending it out for repairs. I know that's not much help, but I do have the article somewhere in my files. On that note, the same magazine once had an article on restoring argent styled steel wheels for a 1968. And its series on restoring a '68 Shelby is one of the best I've ever seen anywhere, and will serve as a guide for when I finallly get around to my GT/CS. (FM&EF also restored a Vintage Burgandy California Special, but it was more of a cosmetic job, not a ground up like the Shelby.)

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Now that you mention it, I remember someone doing an article in the last year or so on epoxy steering wheel kits. I'll try to find the info and go that route and then put a cover on it if I goof it up. My interior is Dark Red and that seems to be a tough color to find parts for. The paint I got from Year One goes on pretty thin and I don't think it would work for color change although it looks good for spraying over the original paint on the inside of the doors and inside quarter pieces. Ironhorse mentioned a CS that was restored by a mag. There was a car I posted here last spring (I think) that was for sale in Spokane, Wa. that the guy claimed was that car. It had the wrong grill, fog lights, rust in the trunk, bad paint and a tranny on life support, but it finally sold to someone in Oregon. Just a little trivia.
Steve

PFSlim

Steve

I went from Red to Light Blue for my rear quarter window metal on inside. I scuffed up with sandpaper, cleaned, then applied a primer coat. Then several coats of light blue and it turned out fine.

Is your car an auto?

Paul

CobraMan

I have information of an individual who restores steering wheels on these cars. I'm going to use him for my 69 Mach with the tricky horn "inlay". He's a lot less expensive than purchasing a new wheel plus you ge to keep the original :D. I saw his work on a few cars at a show this summer and his work is tops. I'll post once I locate his info located in my garage computer.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Sorry Paul, I forgot to answer that part. It's an automatic.
Steve

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Thanks Paul. No rush though. I found out I have to go to Oklahoma for 3 weeks starting next week. I did find out that POR-15 makes a steering wheel repair kit so when I get back, I'll try it out and let you guys know how it turns out.
Steve

nfrntau

Brian posted "Pauls second book about Steering wheel covers" "some discussion about if a steering wheel cover was "original" equip".

I believe the steering wheel cover on my car may be original. If not it was probably added immediately by the first owner. It is very obvious it has been there for many many moons.

Can post photo if anyone interested

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I'd like to see the pics of your steering wheel cover. If I end up having to put one on, I'd like to get one that looks correct. By the way, I like your tag line.
Steve

nfrntau

I took a few photos but I think these two represent what you are asking. I think it's interesting that at the knot a half hitch was used prior to tying the knot. Also a granny knot was used to keep the loose ends in line with the wheel. A square knot would have made the loose ends perpendicular to the wheel.
Good luck with your wheel.

Attachments

• Christmas_2004_052.jpg
    Christmas_2004_052.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 16