• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 AC controls

Mosesatm

Forgot to mention that the heater boxes are also different, as is all the ducting, and the fan, etc. In a nutshell, they are completely different systems with few, if any, interchangeable parts.

If the car you are restoring is an AC car the easiest solution would certainly be to just leave off the engine compartment AC components and use the existing controls for the heat and fan.

Last edited:

franklinair

Absolutely correct. The underdash units for an AC car uses a large plenum unit that houses the evaporator, heater core, and deflector doors operated by vacuum valves. The blower motor is mounted @ the center of the inside firewall, not to mention the duct work required. That's why I commented on a donor car for all these components. I've seen these systems advertised on E-bay, but kinda pricey ($500 -$700) Classic Air might be able to offer some suggestions. I know of an original system removed from a '68 coupe, but I'm sure the owner would want top $$$ (if he were inclined to sell it).

Neil

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Absolutely correct. The underdash units for an AC car uses a large plenum unit that houses the evaporator, heater core, and deflector doors operated by vacuum valves. The blower motor is mounted @ the center of the inside firewall, not to mention the duct work required. That's why I commented on a donor car for all these components. I've seen these systems advertised on E-bay, but kinda pricey ($500 -$700) Classic Air might be able to offer some suggestions. I know of an original system removed from a '68 coupe, but I'm sure the owner would want top $$$ (if he were inclined to sell it).

Neil

Seems like it took me too long to type out my message and it magically disappeared. So here we go again:
I highly doubt I'll find a donor car with AC that I'll be able to pick up at an affordable price (as you said).
What I'm going to attempt to do is pick up an AC controller and see if I can set it up to actuate the cable system of the non-AC cars. I'm going to see if I can at least set up some basic functions this way. If that fails then I am going to have to slowly amass the parts needed to have a non-functioning AC system using the correct controls without the AC compressor.
Thanks again Neil. You're awesome!

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

...Apologies and embarrassment, mine Stan. I was focussed on AC and didn't read carefully. 'Seems to be a way with me. A few posts back, I tried to give someone a vacuum switch that turned out to be a (firewall) heater bypass connector. I'm not much good, but I AM slow!

Best of luck with your exciting project :)

LOL... Thanks Tim. That made me laugh.
But seriously thank you for your gernerosity.
Cheers
Stan

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Forgot to mention that the heater boxes are also different, as is all the ducting, and the fan, etc. In a nutshell, they are completely different systems with few, if any, interchangeable parts.

If the car you are restoring is an AC car the easiest solution would certainly be to just leave off the engine compartment AC components and use the existing controls for the heat and fan.

Thank you. This save me a lot of time. I was trying to look at the parts diagram between the two systems but it was difficult to tell the differences between the parts. Unfortunately my car never came with AC. I might need some bail out $$$ by the time this project is complete.
thanks!