• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT-390 Engine Block Numbers?

I'm wondering if anyone out there with an original 390GT block out there could give me the casting numbers off it? I'm restoring mine, and I need to know what is the consensus of the other 390 blocks out there.

It's kinda difficult to get at, but it's under the passenger side exhaust manifold, just ahead of the starter, on that "slant" side of the block. They are about 3/4" tall (?), and raised off the block surface.

It could have:

C7ME-A
C8ME-a
C8AE-A
...or something else?? C6AE-A?

The "ME" means Merc block, and "AE" means big Ford (i.e. Galaxie) block. I know that Cougars were in the same production line at San Jose, so that could explain the "ME".

I would appreciate anyone willing to get under their car and get a good look (or the next time it's up on a lift at a mechanic). Also, let me know if it's a C-6, or 4-speed (not that it would make any difference with block #s)

Paul Newitt

OP
OP
G

Hey Paul,
I have a '68 that I am building into a green hornet clone it has a 390, the block # is C7ME-A and it has a C-6 tranny. Hope this helps.
Gary
P.S.
Thanks for the registry I recieved last week, it will be a great help restoring my Cal Special.

Bluestang

Paul, my 390 4-V GT/CS has block #C7ME-A with c-6 tranny. Even thought this does't jive with what some books say about 390gt blocks (very confusing). My block casting dates are right on. I did a lot of research on this subject. This casting number is also used on 428 blocks of that period. Good luck, Kimball

xcodegtcs

Paul from what understand there is no particular correlation except date codes. 390's should be within 3 months prior, small blocks are typically within the month (San jose)due to high production. There are some truely knowlegeable people at the below sites,if you search around awhile you will find great answers. The first site is a chart. As you may notice on this chart C6ME appears in all years/sizes(as others). Usually you measure bore to truly identify the blocks, Cobra jets typically have a "C" welded on the back, 428ci T-birds an "S". Aside from this, webbing is the huge determiner, although FE's you never know what you will find. 390 blocks are nothing special, standard 390, truly the CJ cam made it a "GT". Not to knock this site, but most folks here are reliant on your book or excerps from it. Quick question, in your book where did you reference the C6AE-L and C6AE-U part #'s for X-code GT heads? I'm not so sure this is only ones used, As an X-code is no different from a GT except intake. And as you mention "non- smog" heads. I have found these are typically C8AE-H. Last question, you recently reappered to this site, and had popped in once before. Prior to that no sign, where you in jail or on the moon.

Jason Whitten

The original Xcodegtcs (now rarely comment)

march 17th Coberly Xcode

copy and paste below:

http://pliverman.home.mindspring.com/index3.htm#Blocks

http://www.fomoco.com/forumfe/

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/74182

OP
OP
G

Jason--

Thank you for your help--and I will check out those sites. I have looked at a lot of 390/FE books and several charts for block numbers leaves me confused. In fact, I wonder if the same block #s were used for the 390 GT as for the X-Code; not that it should be different, although Dearborn could have had two different lines for these engines, and the supplies were different, too.

I remember sending the X-Code Registry many years ago my list of GT/CS VINs, and it doubled their registry in one day!

THis 390 block code thing is a mystery to me that I'd like to track down,. and so far, it's been enlightening here. Thanks to everyone who's helped.

As for my mysterious whereabouts? Sometimes, I'd wished I WAS on the Moon! I honestly felt "a little burned out" from doing the second (1996) book (a total brain-drain!), and had to get away to do some other interests for a while. I do design and scale model work, and am presently writing a book on Model Railroading Animations. I did an exhibition on Theme Parks, too, so I'm real busy doing all kinds of things!

I still love my GT/CS, (430,000 miles!) and I have to say how much I truly appreciate the support and respect and admiratiion that I've recieved all these years from owners and enthusiasts. It's been overwhelming! I might not always be 100% correct, but I am glad to provide some information and help (and directions) to those who also love their GT/CS (HCS) cars.

PMN

x-codegtcs

[quote author=xcodegtcs link=board=1;threadid=261;start=0#msg1338 date=1047948157]
Paul from what understand there is no particular correlation except date codes. 390's should be within 3 months prior, small blocks are typically within the month (San jose)due to high production. There are some truely knowlegeable people at the below sites,if you search around awhile you will find great answers. The first site is a chart. As you may notice on this chart C6ME appears in all years/sizes(as others). Usually you measure bore to truly identify the blocks, Cobra jets typically have a "C" welded on the back, 428ci T-birds an "S". Aside from this, webbing is the huge determiner, although FE's you never know what you will find. 390 blocks are nothing special, standard 390, truly the CJ cam made it a "GT". Not to knock this site, but most folks here are reliant on your book or excerps from it. Quick question, in your book where did you reference the C6AE-L and C6AE-U part #'s for X-code GT heads? I'm not so sure this is only ones used, As an X-code is no different from a GT except intake. [/quote]

Along with the intake being different so is the 390 X-code cam. It is an A code instead of the GT B code. Lift and duration is slightly modified. This was verified by a friend who recently rebuilt his original X-code motor.

And as you mention "non- smog" heads. I have found these are typically C8AE-H.

The H cast heads are also found on GT motors with smog control. I have a 68 "GT" Cougar XR-7 with the same H casting and smog control (originally from CA).

Hope this helps. I think when it comes to cold hard rules for how Ford put these cars together, is:

"IF THE LINE KEEPS ON MOVING, USE IT"

Bryce