• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hi! Need opinions on '68 GT/CS, link to pics..

landmissle

:) Hi all,

I'm a newbie here but I've been lurking off n' on for the last year or so. I picked up my first Mustang, '66 GT Fastback K-code, last year in April. Soooo..., while I know alot more than I did a year ago, I'm still a babe in the woods especially with regards to "Specials" that this forum is dedicated to.

I found a '68 GT/CS relatively close by and plan to take a look at it tomorrow. I was hoping to get your opinions on it. Here's a link http://photos.yahoo.com/landmissle

Open up the folder called "caspecial" and you'll see about a dozen pictures. I realize that pictures tell only so much, but, I was hoping that you folks with the sharp eyes might sport anyting odd or "danger signals".

The VIN# is 8R01J155998 and below is a quote from the seller.

"It was built in San Jose, CA. and delivered to the District Sales Office in Phoenix, AZ on April 05, 1968. It came from the factory with a J-code 302 4-bbl.; 3-Speed Manual Transmission (1 of 40 Specials made with 3-spd's and 1 of 286 with Manual Tranny); Power Steering; 3.00:1 Conventional Rear end; Factory Shoulder Harness Seat Belts; Factory A/C that blows "Ice Cold!"; Factory Turn Signal Hood; Flip-Open Gas Cap; Chrome Rally Rims with GT Center Caps. The Color scheme from the factory came with Candy Apple Red extererior paint and Dark Red Crinkle & Kiwi standard Vinyl interior.

The owner has changed a few things for his liking, that could easily be changed back for those wanting a number matching car. He has added a factory built Am/Fm Radio that works nicely!; 4-row Radiator; set of kick panels with the built-in speakers, and a couple of 6x9" speakers to the package tray; GT style Grant wheel; Embroidered Carpeted Floor Mats with the Pony Logo. He has also changed the interior color scheme to black which is a absolute knock-out with the Candy Apple Paint Job.

The engine and transmission was rebuilt less than 3000 miles ago and there is absolutly no rust on this car! It is very Clean!!!"

They want $17,900 for it which seems a little pricey but, at this point I don't have a firm feel for "Specials" yet.

If you have any comments on this car or just general advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Landmissle

Calspecialdreamer

Hi Landmissle,
This car was auctioned (or still is ) on Ebay recently. I was in on it until it went over 10K. It really looks fantastic to me especially the paint. I can't remember if the Marti Report was done on it, which is the only TRUE test to determine if it IS a GT/CS.
I see the owner has done a few things that can easily be replaced (as the ad states). Everything I know to look for is there. It looks complete. Engine looks like you could eat off it!
I would think it is about 2K too high, but if someone has the money, that is really one of the finer CS's I have seen. Better wait until Doug gives his opinion tho, 'cause he definitely knows his stuff!

Calspecialdreamer

One more thing, I would ask if the numbers match on the engine and the VIN. That would make a difference to me in the price. It is on Ebay also. Type in this item number.....
Item # 2417062047
Item located in: Passenger Vehicles : Ford : Mustang

darb

The tailpipes and that valance dont look standard - I'm not too familiar, but I haven't seen a GT/CS with the valance and DUAL pipes on each side. Perhaps its an actual GT?

bish

That valance with dual pipes could be correct if everything is numbers correct.

68sunlitgold

darb,
The valance and dual pipes would be correct if the car came with the GT option and being a 302 puts it in the category of possible.
Doug