• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What about 390 Stroker Engines???

P

PNewitt

Who knows about what to do to "stroke" a 390 FE engine? I've heard of using a 428 crank to make a Police Car type 406 or 410. Is it worthwhile? Maybe the early 1960's 406/410 had it's own problems?

Or--should I just stick with the "proven" 390 specs and just work on the heads and intake?

Any good shops and/or websites that can explain this? What is this 416?

thanks,

Paul N.

rvrtrash

The 410 is a 390 block with a 428 crank. The 406 is a 428 block with a 390 crank. More later, I'm late for work.

Steve

68gt390

Paul;
As Steve mentioned earlier, a factory 390 with a .30 overbore and 428 crank gives you a nice 410 but, I wouldn't go much over that for fear of heat problems. Having done that to my GT Coupe using stock heads ported and polished, I wish now I'd of used aluminum heads instead. Porting and polishing factory 390 cast iron heads really didn't give me that much more. Aluminum heads just breath much better. My only fear is if you over heat the block there goes your heads (easily warpped). I would definitely get rid of the factory intake unless your going concourse. An after market aluminum intake is a good power adder. I would also think about some full length ceramic coated headers to while your at it. Aluminim heads, intake and headers will save you some serious weight as well as add a little more power and torque.

Don

davidathans

all i know is that 390 heads dont breath at all....if your going to spend the money to stroke your 390 and bore it .030" over for a 410cid...spend more and buy the aluminum heads and aluminum intake manifold, headers, big cam and you'll have a BEAST!...as prevention for overheating your engine...dont use a thermostat (this depends on where you live of course, im in california) use a restrictor...that way your $5 thermostat wont fail and cost you your $15,000 motor

rvrtrash

As everyone has said, the biggest problem with a 390 is the top end. I would definately lose the boat anchor intake and replace it with an alum. one. Alum. heads are the way to go also but if the expense or fear of warping drive you away, look for a set of 1964 "G" code heads. The ports and runners are a little bigger than the later ones and, when found, can usually be picked up pretty cheap. If I remember, the intake ports are .050" taller. I would also go with good headers and some sort of fuel injection. I've seen some custom manifolds with direct port injection and there is always the Holley unit. I think these changes would give you more bang for the buck than stroking a motor with a stock top end.

Steve

robert campbell

Paul,
Check this link out!! Now you are in Rob's world. Rob the hot rodder!!!

http://www.survivalmotorsports.com/

They can get you up to 445 cubes out of your 390 block. You can port the stock heads to work well, but don't bother. Get the edlebrock pieces. 390 heads have tons of potential, but you will spend as much or more. DSC motor sports offers cleaned up edelbrock heads that flow better than stock edelbrocks.

Fuel innjection is cool but very pricey. I would stay with a carb. Contact Survival!! They are the FE gods next to CamResearch in Colorado. Call Scott at Camresearch. Great guy and also an FE god. I just finished a complete Dove roller rocker assembly with hardened shafts and billet stands for my Cobra Jet in my 57 Wagon. Recommended, as the top end is the death of many an FE. DSC sells a very good Erson assembly.

Bigger is better!!!! YAAAAA BAAAABBBBYYYY!!!

Rob

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thank you all for the great information!

I was planning on using the Edelbrock heads, and a Shelby Sidewinder intake, with a Holley 650--maybe.

I like the injection idea. Pricey, but exotic enough for what I might want to do.

If I go for a 410, I'll get more torque from the larger crank, and the overbore will give me more horsepower--right?

Thanks again,

Paul N.

rvrtrash

Hey Paul, I'm including a link I just found that might help you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_FE_engine

Torque would go up by 17 lb/ft, which isn't much and horsepower would be about the same for both engines. I don't think 5 extra cubic inches (.030 over) would give more than one or two horses. I can tell you how to build a harness for a factory '75 390 electronic ignition if you want when you get closer.

Steve

robert campbell

Thank you all for the great information!

I was planning on using the Edelbrock heads, and a Shelby Sidewinder intake, with a Holley 650--maybe.

I like the injection idea. Pricey, but exotic enough for what I might want to do.

If I go for a 410, I'll get more torque from the larger crank, and the overbore will give me more horsepower--right?

Thanks again,

Paul N.

Paul,
The stroke to a 410 and overbore will help some, but not a ton. If included with the edlebrocks and fuel injection you will get more and that might be all you want. The kits from survival will put you in another level. The 427 sidewinder has always been the choice of alot of people. It is a great manifold but want RPM to be really effective. 6,500 plus. The 427 medium riser was designed to do that. Great manifold, but you need to spin it. The 428 PI is a much better choice or the edlebrock rpm. they work much better from 2,00 to 6,000. If you are going fuel injection to my knowledge it will be throttle body only unless you have a special built manifold. There are some "runner" injection manifolds out there, but be ready to buck way up.

You have so many great carb choices these days. I would stay in the 750 cfm range if you want power. Or a 650 will work but keep the rpm to 5,000 and below. If you go to the 445 cu in kit you may want to go bigger like 850 cfm. That kit in a 390 block will spin 7,000 not prob. Get the sidewinder and make big horsepower!!!

I can't say enough about Scott at Cam Research. Give him a call. He knows FE's like no one else!!

Rob