• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Safety first

p51

You all have probably seen this article about the safety of classic cars...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/auto/cst-nws-classic03.html

Based on this it insipired me to start a new thread on how folks are modifying their GT/CS's to be as safe as possible. My philosopy is to add safety features but keep my GT/CS looking "1968". Toward that end I've done the following (in priority order of effectiveness in my opinion):

(1) Added front disc brakes. A huge improvement over drum brakes

(2) Added headrests. I put in some 1969 seat backs that had headrests. (The 1968 NOS headrests or aftermarket headrests are also an option).

(3) The car already had a shoulder belts so no upgrades there.

Based on some of the discussion in other threads what I'm thinking about in addition is:

(4) Nice bright tail lights. Possibly LEDs as they might add a more unique look. Possibly with sequential turn signal (if you're stopped and turning). A more unique look means more notice on the road and less chance of someone rearending you.

(5) Air horns. To scare the, ahh... poo out of someone that might veer into your lane.

Another thing I've heard about but am really not considering is:

(6) Fuel tank with a bladder. The idea is to prevent gas spattering in a rearend collison.

What safety modifications have you made?
What safety options would you suggest?

Thanks.

Cheers!

harryz

Aloha,

I have also added power front disk brakes (from another '68 Mustang). Part of this also includes the "top of the line" brake pads / shoes for maximum effectiveness of the disk brakes.

Also have high quality radial tires to help with handling, along with large front sway bar and "shelby mod" of front suspension (dropped upper A-arms 1 inch) and Eibach variable rate coil springs.

Options for the future:

- Add a solid steel divider plate between trunk and back seat to keep gasoline out of passenger compartment. You can either make one yourself, or there's a Mustang supplier out there who sells them pre-cut.

- LED taillights

- Right (passenger) side rear-view mirror

- Rear disk brakes

- Replace existing front seats with those from a late model Mustang. I've heard that if you're wearing your shoulder belt and you hit something, the '68 seat backs collapsed and you ended up in a horizontal poistion
staring up at your headliner.

- Rack and Pinion steering linkage and smaller diameter steering wheel to improve handling even more.

- Halogen headlights so that I can see better at night

That's about all I can think of right now...

Harry Z.

Mosesatm

There was a recall in 1978 for the seat hinges but I doubt very many people had the hinges changed. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell by looking at the hinges whether they are original or the beefier replacements?

OP
OP
p51

p51

[quote author=harryz link=board=1;threadid=2076;start=0#msg14026 date=1125362396]
Aloha,

I have also added power front disk brakes (from another '68 Mustang). Part of this also includes the "top of the line" brake pads / shoes for maximum effectiveness of the disk brakes.

Also have high quality radial tires to help with handling, along with large front sway bar and "shelby mod" of front suspension (dropped upper A-arms 1 inch) and Eibach variable rate coil springs.

Options for the future:

- Add a solid steel divider plate between trunk and back seat to keep gasoline out of passenger compartment. You can either make one yourself, or there's a Mustang supplier out there who sells them pre-cut.

- LED taillights

- Right (passenger) side rear-view mirror

- Rear disk brakes

- Replace existing front seats with those from a late model Mustang. I've heard that if you're wearing your shoulder belt and you hit something, the '68 seat backs collapsed and you ended up in a horizontal poistion
staring up at your headliner.

- Rack and Pinion steering linkage and smaller diameter steering wheel to improve handling even more.

- Halogen headlights so that I can see better at night

That's about all I can think of right now...

Harry Z.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

I also redid the suspension similar to what you were saying - larger sway bar and Shelby Mod. I did it such a way that to front end still looks stock outside. Dont get all the benefits but do get most. Really does help with the handling.

Didnt know about the divider plate back of the back seat. Sounds like a lower cost alternative to the gas tank w/internal bladder. Thanks.