• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT Valance Fit

case12

After having my GT/CS in Mustang Times magazine, Jason mentioned I should trade out my "old school" chrome pipes sticking out from under the rear to the GT valance and tail pipes. I resisted for a while, but in doing all the engine work I decided to make it look right.

I bought an aftermarket valance, and had someone do the work for fit it and paint it. Unfortunately, no matter what he does, it does not fit. We have a good fit on the driver side (see pic), but not on the passenger side (see pic). The pictures make it look worse than it appears because of the shadows. But, for an OCD guy like me, it is a pretty big gap (I know these cars weren't perfect....so maybe that is ok?).

Thoughts? Leave it alone? Filler (not fond of the idea)? I am tempted to leave it alone. I am interested in your experiences. Casey

Attachments

• gt1.jpg
    gt1.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 33
  • gt2.jpg
    gt2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 32
  • gt3.jpg
    gt3.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Mosesatm

Casey, I had the same issue with mine so I whacked it with a hammer!:icon_pani

Let me explain.

I folded a an old blanket until it was at least 6" thick and placed it against the valance, then I placed a 2x4 over the blanket, and smacked the 2x4 with a 5# dead drop rubber hammer. It took a few strikes but it worked beautifully.

P

PNewitt

For what it's worth, mine (which is stock) does that same gap thing--a little.

Another example how the rear valance engineer guy never had lunch with the rear quarter engineer guy at Ford back then to hash out the gap problem.

This is somewhat common, but it doesn't mean you can't hit it with a hammer! LOL! It's a "knack" thing with a hammer, re...like popping off champangne corks with one!!

Paul "more trivia than help" N.

:)

limelyt

we found the same problem with our new valance, so we layed in down of the floor and pressed down on the curve till it matched the rear quarters. the fit was perfect when it was all done. nothing in the restoration hand book that says you can't bend it to fit, just do it before you paint it

Gary

Attachments

• valance.jpg
    valance.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
case12

case12

Casey, I had the same issue with mine so I whacked it with a hammer!:icon_pani

Let me explain.

I folded a an old blanket until it was at least 6" thick and placed it against the valance, then I placed a 2x4 over the blanket, and smacked the 2x4 with a 5# dead drop rubber hammer. It took a few strikes but it worked beautifully.

Sounds like experience from the forum so far is to beat it into place.
I assume you did this before you painted it. I am sorta stuck, having this one already painted. When I get her back I will have to check it out and see how much "beating" it can take. Or, I may just leave it alone. 99% of the people would probably miss it. As Paul said, many of the old cars didnt have very good fit anyway. Casey

Mosesatm

Casey, I don't remember if it was painted or not, but knowing me it probably was.:embarass:

gtcs1

Sounds like experience from the forum so far is to beat it into place.
I assume you did this before you painted it. I am sorta stuck, having this one already painted. When I get her back I will have to check it out and see how much "beating" it can take. Or, I may just leave it alone. 99% of the people would probably miss it. As Paul said, many of the old cars didnt have very good fit anyway. Casey

Hi,

I had some experience with "paintless dent repair" shop. You may want to give it a try, they've got good tricks to bend metal without affecting paint. If it's too much metal work, they can even warm up the paint with lamps before doing the work (they've done that on my car). It cost nothing to show it to them, see what the've got to say. If you decide to try that, ask for reference beforehand from contact, find the best guy in your area.

gtcs1

karolscali

can you wait for spring?

hey casey nicely done now can you wait for spring now? ps on the gear axle ratio how did you arrive on your decision of using 3.2 gears i am still pondering what ratio to use

robert campbell

Casey,
You have an example of the difference between a number one vice number two car. Number two is showroom perfect with all the original flaws. Number one is the same, with all the those flaws fixed. Some of the GT/CS cars were better than others in fit and finish. Yours is beautiful, so I bet you get it closer!

My cars are number three on a good day..... But fast!!!

Rob

heliaster

hey casey nicely done now can you wait for spring now? ps on the gear axle ratio how did you arrive on your decision of using 3.2 gears i am still pondering what ratio to use

This is just something I ran across (maybe in someone else's posting, I can't remember) when I was looking at gear ratios myself. It may not help but its fun to play with.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

franklinair

This may seem too extreme, but it worked for me. I had a repo valance that did not fit properly at both ends. If we got one side to fit, the other side wouldn't. One or the other, but not both. Soooo - we cut the valance in half, dead center where the license plate covers it. Attached both ends to their respective quarters for a perfect fit. Then we Mig'd the valance back together, finishing both sides to a smooth finish & painted.
Neil