• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Should you wait for the GT/CS that you really want?

classicsguy

I would like to know if your seriously interested in buying a GT/CS if you should wait for the one you REALLY want,meaning engine and transmission combos,color and options or by the other hand since only 4118 were made and there are very few left....if you should buy the first one that comes along? What do you guys and gals think?

rvrtrash

I'd say neither. Waiting for the one you "really want" could take years and that's time you'll spend searching instead of enjoying a car. Don't take the first one you find either. I'd say find one that's close. If you're looking for a 428 car, consider the 390's. If you want a 302, pick up a 289 if you like it. I would look at price as a mover here. If it's a screaming hot deal and you can live with it, go for it. You can always sell it later when you do stumble on the one you really want. I was looking for a silver Boss 351 and picked up a black one instead because of the price.

Steve

Mosesatm

How important is originality to you? Since you are looking for a J-code or S-code 4-speed project car would you be willing to replace an automatic with a 4-speed, or buy a 3-speed car and put in a 4-speed?

6t8-390gt

I agree with Steve. I would decide what you want and what you can be happy with. I think finding the exact dream car you have pictured in your mind in the condition you want and the price you are willing to pay is far fetched.

I wanted a 68 factory "GT" in every body style, and decided not to worry about engine, trans., or color. Everything beyond being a factory "GT" was a bonus. Even with that I did not buy the first one I came across. Price and condition was also very important to me. After nearly 25 years that dream became a reality. An X code CS or HCS would really complete the collection, but for now I am not even looking.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

How important is originality to you? Since you are looking for a J-code or S-code 4-speed project car would you be willing to replace an automatic with a 4-speed, or buy a 3-speed car and put in a 4-speed?

Originality is very important to me,I would prefer not to change anything from factory. I know this makes my search even harder but I am a purist and like to keep cars as they came from factory...