• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Filled Cowl

Jayscal

Without the cowl vents, I don't see how fresh air could come in. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I bet there was alot of rust and the cowl leaked, so they just sealed it up.

On a lighter side, I bet that car gets great gas milage. Jacked up like that, it is always going down hill. ;)

klmore

I recently sold a 72 Chevy Short bed truck with no side markers, or mirrors. I even passed inspection this way. Sometimes I think people are so busy looking at a nice restored car they either look the other way, or they are to busy looking at it to pay attention to the small things.

On the 72 truck I was thinking of filling the cowl, but I decided against it for rust reasons. The Vintage Air in the truck recycled air from the interior and didn't require the air from the cowl so that wouldn't have been an issue. I'm sure a Mustang could be set up the same way.

PFSlim

Not exactly what I would buy. However, it does fix the cowl problem rusting out for the future!!

For those who are looking for idea's on how to fix a cowl, we did the following for our restoration:

Sandblasted and cleaned the cowl as much as possible. Then used the good fiberglass repair stuff for inside the car - sanded smooth and painted. As well, we poured POR15 down into cowl and rotated the car on the rotissorie to ensure POR15 covered most of the inside cowl area and prevent future rusting.

We talked about replacing (ours was not that bad) but according to sites we had read, it looked to be alot of work. Thus the fix listed above.

Paul

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=2326;start=0#msg16206 date=1130946290]
....we poured POR15 down into cowl and rotated the car on the rotissorie....

[/quote]

Down here in Texas we'd probably get a few Bubbas with some 6-packs (beer, not abs) and rock the car that way. On second thought, how much does a rotissorie cost?!!!