• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Who's got the gold '68 CS featured in 'Mustangs- An American Classic'?

aemoo28

In my coffee table book called "Mustangs- An American Classic", 2006, pg 75 has a photo of a gold '68 with black side stripes, license plate "3769 GW". Good year Eagle tires. Hard to see the state name, but plate is white with red letters. Maybe Mass? Anyway, if it's a member car, pls tell me so I can post a sticky so when I boast to my house guests I can say it's so-in-so's Cali. BTW this book misquotes that 4000 GT/CS were sold.

BroadwayBlue

I think that car belongs to a Howard Phelps and I think it's a Mass (not even going to try and spell it! :grin: ) license plate I think I've seen that car.

I'm guessing the photographer was Dan Lyons. He has done a lot of the Consumer Guide books. He wanted to shoot my GT/CS a few years back for a calendar but we never could get our schedules to match. When he approached me he pulled out a calendar with a gold CS on it. He said it was the only one he ever shot.

Thread on that car in Hemmings:
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2147

A post on another forum from Howard:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/blog/california-special-is-back-for-2007/11292

"I am the third owner of a 1968 California Special GT/CS. The color is sunlit gold with a 289 cu in 2 barrel. It has the cut out back valance with the dual tip exhaust.
I have recieved many awards with this car to include an Editers Choice Award from Hemmings in 2005. My car has appeared in three Mustang calenders and appeared in chapter three page 75 of Mustangs An American Classic by the auto editors of Consumer Guide. This book was published by Publications International,LTD. Lincolnwood, IL 60712

My question is, is it possible to get a 2007 mustang california special in the color sunlit gold, with gold nugget interior?
By Howard Phelps. June 24th, 2006 at 7:10 am"

I don't know if he frequents this site.

A little off topic...
Here is Dan Lyon's website too: http://www.lyonsonwheels.com/

now to go way off topic ....
The diner in the pictures on Dan's site (Eveready Diner) is in Hyde Park, NY and was recently featured on Food Networks' Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Guy Fieri drives around at the start and end of the show in a nice convertible 60's Camaro.

If you ever happen to be in the area this diner is a great place that looks like the diners of years ago and with good food.

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

That's it! Thanks for taking the time to answer, now I can brag- and of course I have the page highlighted with a sticky note now!