• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

5 LUG OR 4 LUG WHEELS?

514fairlane

Looking at a GT/CS and have a few questions. Vin shows this to be a 6, and it has 5 lug wheels. Is this right or did the 6's have 4 lug wheels like other earlier Mustangs? It has a 302 in it now, does that decrease the value much? Anyone know how many 6's were made? It also has a 9 inch rear in it - normal for a 6?? Just learning on these GT/CS, but don't want to get stuck with a clone. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks - TJ

admin

Staff member
Administrator
The 6 cyl cars should have 4 lugs and the 8 cyl cars should have 5. Sounds like someone swapped in the 302 and atleast got that part straight. They would have had to replace the rear axle to get the 5 lug, so not really a surprise to see a 9" back there.

Another possibility is that the car was originally a 302 and someone swapped the VIN. Have you checked all the VIN locations to be sure they match up?

As for value it's a personal thing. If the car originally came with a 6 then it's obviously not original, and would be hard to take back to original so for some that would decrease the value. However many would consider a 302 an upgrade from the original 200 6 cyl so they might think it's worth more. However, if the swap was done poorly it would definitely decrease the value.

If you want to car to show and completely restore then the engine swap is a problem. If you want the car to drive and have fun with, then it's probably not as big of a deal.

Personally I think the resale value of a GT/CS does suffer with this type of major change. People shopping for a GT/CS will typically be more interested in originality then those shopping for a standard Mustang.

OP
OP

514fairlane

Thanks for the info - sort of how I feel on the engine swap etc. Found the Vin number that matches the pink on the inner fender panel under the fender lip on the passenger side. Door has a 67 vin number - I figure its been changed. Will check for dash number next. Car has all right stuff to make me think it is a real GT/CS. Vin is 8R01T155720. No other data due to wrong door data plate. Guess next step is to get with that Marti fellow to be sure it is a real CS and then go from there. If price is right, then it would still be nice even if numbers don't match. Again, Thanks

Drone

Maybe its a 67 v8 mustang with a cs vin and various cs mods, maybe someone wrecked their cs and got a v8 mustang minus the motor......