• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Power Steering Issues......Help?

Perkchiro

After two rebuilt ps pumps, 3 power steering control valves, a rebuilt slave cylinder and two sets of new hoses, I have a leak free power steering system. I tried to evacuate air from the system before start up by jacking the front end and rotating the wheels back and forth several times. I did this again after cranking the engine and allowing the pump to circulate fluid. Here's the problem. With the wheels on the ground, and the engine at idle, the steering wheel free rotates (hard rotation) to the right, putting the front tires in a full right turn. Takes alot of effort to pull the steering wheel to the left. I think it may be due to air in the system but I'm out of ideas. Anyone out there had this problem? I'm open to ideas and any help would be appreciated.

hicountrybob

Perkchiro said:
After two rebuilt ps pumps, 3 power steering control valves, a rebuilt slave cylinder and two sets of new hoses, I have a leak free power steering system. I tried to evacuate air from the system before start up by jacking the front end and rotating the wheels back and forth several times. I did this again after cranking the engine and allowing the pump to circulate fluid. Here's the problem. With the wheels on the ground, and the engine at idle, the steering wheel free rotates (hard rotation) to the right, putting the front tires in a full right turn. Takes alot of effort to pull the steering wheel to the left. I think it may be due to air in the system but I'm out of ideas. Anyone out there had this problem? I'm open to ideas and any help would be appreciated.
I believe you've gotten the 2 short hoses crossed., that was my experience on a '68 Mustang hcs one time. On another note, here in my town it's said that 'IF THEY DON'T LEAK, THEY'RE EMPTY

Midnight Special

hicountrybob said:
On another note, here in my town it's said that 'IF THEY DON'T LEAK, THEY'RE EMPTY

...Sounds like you spent some time around B-29s while in the Air Force, Bob ;-)

Steve, will you please let us know your results? I have one down in need of a complete PS rebuild - everything but the pump... Raccoons are tracking fluid everywhere!

Attachments

• IM001718.JPG
    IM001718.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 30

hicountrybob

Midnight Special said:
...Sounds like you spent some time around B-29s while in the Air Force, Bob ;-)

Steve, will you please let us know your results? I have one down in need of a complete PS rebuild - everything but the pump... Raccoons are tracking fluid everywhere!
Not B-29's, BUT F-84's,F-86's and F-100's plus a C-47 (the goony bird, the old faithful). Bob here.

Midnight Special

hicountrybob said:
Not B-29's, BUT F-84's,F-86's and F-100's plus a C-47 (the goony bird, the old faithful). Bob here.

Bob, I would love to chat about your Air Force career sometime... I have flown in numerous DC-3s including Hap Arnold's (C-41) and the only flying AC-47 "Puff" gunship from Viet Nam era, 'Lots to share...

Sorry for going off-topic here Steve. All part of getting to know special people who own "Special" Mustangs.

Attachments

• dc3.jpg
    dc3.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

hicountrybob said:
I believe you've gotten the 2 short hoses crossed., that was my experience on a '68 Mustang hcs one time. On another note, here in my town it's said that 'IF THEY DON'T LEAK, THEY'RE EMPTY

Thanks Bob: I'll switch those hoses and see if that makes a difference. Those little hoses are buggars to take off and put back on, but after so many tear downs and reassemblies, I'm beginning to get good at it!

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

Sorry for going off-topic here Steve. All part of getting to know special people who own "Special" Mustangs

No problem Tim, that's a part of owning a classic mustang that I like too!

PFSlim

Steve

I think you might already know my story. I rebuilt everything, but it still leaked. I could not get it to stop. Finally, my car started turning very hard, like there was no power steering and felt like it was binding. Once I made the decision to go back to manual steer, I found the bracked that bolts to the frame broken. It may have already been cracked when we put in back on from the re-build but it was binding the power steering system.

I am very glad I got rid of the power steering. My car was an original manual steer car and I like the feel of the manual steer better.

Paul

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

PFSlim said:
Steve

I think you might already know my story. I rebuilt everything, but it still leaked. I could not get it to stop. Finally, my car started turning very hard, like there was no power steering and felt like it was binding. Once I made the decision to go back to manual steer, I found the bracked that bolts to the frame broken. It may have already been cracked when we put in back on from the re-build but it was binding the power steering system.

I am very glad I got rid of the power steering. My car was an original manual steer car and I like the feel of the manual steer better.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I've got to admit that during this whole process, I've been tempted to buy that manual adaptor and just get rid of the whole mess. However, I keep thinking that it is original to the car, so I should stick with it. Just to show you what a hassle this has been, during the disassembly of the ps control valve, I broke off the roll pin that goes in the Control link. I couldn't drill it out, tap it or EZ out it, to I took it to a machine shop. The guy used a carbide drill bit and he broke it off in the hole, and then said "sorry and good luck getting it out". I did get it out, but still had the part of the pin left in the hole. I ended up tapping the hole and placing a allen screw in it. Worked out pretty good and it left me wondering, why didn't Ford do that in the first place? Oh well, I've questioned Ford enginnering on a lot of little items on my car, but then I have to realize that it was 1968, and they did pretty well with a mass production car. I'll keep trying and darn those stupid leaks!!!

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

Bob Teets, you da man! I did have those small slave pump hoses crossed and changing that did fix it. I'm happy to say that I now have power steering and no leaks! (Fingers crossed) Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. We have a great group of GT/CS owners who are always ready to come to the rescue. Thanks again all. :smile:

Midnight Special

Perkchiro said:
Bob Teets, you da man! I did have those small slave pump hoses crossed and changing that did fix it. I'm happy to say that I now have power steering and no leaks! (Fingers crossed) Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. We have a great group of GT/CS owners who are always ready to come to the rescue. Thanks again all. :smile:

Glad all went well Steve. Expect a call from me in the next two weeks... 'Ordering all the parts tomorrow.

PFSlim

Tim

Keep in mind that I have a complete power steering setup that has been redone during our restoration sitting in a box. I have no use for it, if you are interested.

Paul

Midnight Special

PFSlim said:
Tim

Keep in mind that I have a complete power steering setup that has been redone during our restoration sitting in a box. I have no use for it, if you are interested.

Paul

Paul! Yes!! Please PM me w/ price & shipping et-al. I'll get back to you this afternoon.

Thank you!
Tim

Midnight Special

Thank you PAUL!...

PFSlim said:
Tim

Paul

...For the complete power steering setup you boxed and shipped to me!! :)
The only problem I had was removing my old control valve ('didn't have that special Ford tool) so after consulting w/ Mike (somethingspecial), 'designed a puller to remove that unit from the pitman arm... Your parts were as excellent as you said and all went together w/ NO LEAKS! Thanks to you (and lessons from Steve;-) I now have the red CS on the road again!!

I'll PM you to give me the total damage$, but just wanted to give a testiment to everyone as to your faith and generosity in helping me out.

Heartfelt and inexpressible Thank You!

Attachments

• w8e.jpg
    w8e.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

Tim: Glad to hear you got it together with no hassles. Paul is a great guy and he's helped me out on my car on several ocassions also. Hopefully you'll have years of power steering with no leaks! (Finger's crossed).

PFSlim

I hope so as well. I tip my hat to anyone who can make them stop leaking.

Thanks Tim for working with me. It has been a pleasure and I am thrilled to help out someone in the GTCS world!!!

Paul