• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS decals

kevin

Banned
I am making my own decals for my california special. I own a laser cutting machine, and have recreated the stripes and gt/cs decals in adobe illustrator. I couldn't find any decals that were close enough to the originals, so I went ahead and recreated my own. I am planning on printing them on a 2mil thick avery vinyl graphic film. My question is, when you guys have restored your cars, do you clear coat over the decals, or just put them on and leave them alone? How did they come factory? I was planning on building the edges of the decal with clear coat, and the wet-block sanding until it eases the transition from paint to decal. I would appreciate any help or input?

68sunlitgold

The stripes are just placed on without anything over them. That is the application for both factory and reproductions.
Doug

quicknick

I have painted many cars for customers who wanted thier pinstripes and decals under the clearcoat. It looks great when it is done the right way. You can't feel the stripe on the surface area and it will never peel or fade.
However, doing this to a GT/CS stripes would be a large undertaking. The stripe is so large and thick, you run the risk of running your clearcoat. It's hard to prep the vinyl stripe surface to hold clear.
I know this because I tried it on a 69 Mach 1 stripe kit.
I applied the stripes to my base coat and cleared over them. The width of the stripe and thickness made my clear slide off resulting in the biggest, ugliest runs you have ever seen. Even a "fast" clear gave me the same results. Needless to say, I spent the next 5 days blading, wet sanding and buffing. My fingertips and knuckles were sore and bloody for a month.
When it comes to striping the Calspec, I would suggest doing it after it's painted. Just some friendly advice from the man who's lived the nightmare!