• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Bumper Replacement Questions

lunker

Decided to replace front and rear bumpers - should be easy right? Front bumber was ok once I figured out how to remove the bumper guards in order to get to the center bolts. Rear Bumper? Any tips for removal? I cannot figure out how to easily access the 4 main bolts. Thanks for any suggestions.

Mosesatm

It's been a lot of years since I've removed one so I'm going from memory but don't they unbolt from inside the trunk?

OP
OP
L

lunker

So...you remove the bumper and the brackets from the trunk and then the bumper from the brackets. I was trying to figure out how to take the bumper off without removing the brackets! Thanks

Mosesatm

lunker said:
So...you remove the bumper and the brackets from the trunk and then the bumper from the brackets. I was trying to figure out how to take the bumper off without removing the brackets! Thanks
And, of course, your feet are under the bumper as you are unbolting it so when it falls it lands on your toes. And what's even more fun than that is to watch the license plate light wire snap as the bumper falls off.

68gt390

Mosesatm said:
And, of course, your feet are under the bumper as you are unbolting it so when it falls it lands on your toes. And what's even more fun than that is to watch the license plate light wire snap as the bumper falls off.

:rofl:

Glad you mentioned that Arlie. It's happened to me on several occassions. It's pretty easy to forget that light bracket. Also, don't forget to keep track of any wave washers or in some cases round washers that were used to properly space the bumper from the body.

Don :wink:

PFSlim

Pretty hard to remove the bumper without removing the brackets. It is not that big of a deal to remove the backets with the bumper, then you can make adjustments on the bumper while it is on the ground.

Very good point guys about the license plate light. Forgot about that one. You should be able to disconnect the wire wire from the tail light harness but just in case, have a stool or something handy that you set the bumper on until you figure out how to disconnect the light.

Paul