• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

California Special or 68 HCS

Calspecialdreamer

Well boys, 2004 is the year I take the leap!

I am going to purchase either a Cal Special or a 68 High Country Special as a New Year's Resolution! Just hearing the words California Special makes my ears perk up, but looking at the 68 HCS's and knowing only 251 were ever made, well I just can't get the HCS bug out of my system!
So I guess here is my question/comment/poll. "If money were no object and you could have either car (GT/CS or 68 HCS) which would it be and why?"
Please think before you post. I would really like to know what ya'll think. Doug has been a great help to me and I almost purchased a GT/CS 2 months ago, but couldn't get the price right.
Why did you all decide the way you did? What is the great attraction one has over the other? If you had the cash, which would you get? I will be reading your posts with great interest.........

hookedtrout

I rarely if ever buy things as an investment (can't sell it once I have it and I have accepted this fact so it doesn't play in anymore) so the rarity of the two wouldn't play into it as much with me. Thus I would look at what was available and base my decision on color, options and condition. Personally I like the looks of the GT/CS on the scoop better than the badge of the HCS. From a distance it is much more sporty and appealing to me.

The reason I purchased a GT/CS in the first place was I loved the looks of the car and it was for sale. I had never seen one before didn't really know the history of it and had never heard of an HCS when I purchased mine. My first car at 14 was a 65 Mustang so I was already a Pony fan. All the history came afterword as I learned what I had purchased. Paul played a big part in my education.

Cory

rvrtrash

They're basically the same car and it's only "worth" more if someone is willing to pay more. I also just own them to enjoy. I bought my CS because 1)I had a friend that had one a long time ago and 2) it was sitting near the Boss 351 that I just had to have and the guy made me a package deal. I agree with Hooked Trout. Find one that just grabs you because of price, color, engine, whatever and enjoy.
Steve

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Trout and Steve,

I too think the GT/CS looks waaay better than the HCS badge. I really like every aspect of the CS and every inclination I have is towards it. It's not the investment that I care about either, because you both are correct in your statements.
My main attraction to the HCS is the extreme rarity of the 68! If a car is that rare it is usually thousands of dollars, but I've seen HCS's for under 10K! I just like the fact of owning something that rare. And since the badge is the only difference, I can live with that. Thanks for the posts.....

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Thanks 1 GT/CS,

I have already talked with the owner and we are far off on the price. That one is out of my price range, but you never know. I found it in our classifieds a month ago. I also have spoken with a guy with a 68 HCS in Kansas, but again what he thinks it's worth and what I do are of two different opinions. At least these 2 guys have nice cars, where most of the others I've spoken with didn't, but felt because they were CS's and HCS's, that added about 6K to the price! Once you try to explain what you have to do to them once you buy them, the cost is just too high! So goes the life of a "rare car wanna be" buyer! Most do know the cost of restoration and that is why they are not restored or why they are selling.

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=CalGTCSdreamer link=board=1;threadid=730;start=0#msg3980 date=1071631864]

So I guess here is my question/comment/poll. "If money were no object and you could have either car (GT/CS or 68 HCS) which would it be and why?"
[/quote]

HCS... Why? Rarity. I've seen many GT/CS's but only 3 '68 HCS's. Sets you apart , even in the esteemed group of owners of these limited cars. I think the badge is cool, not just some cutout letters with a "/" in the middle. I do admit that the chrome "cal special" quarter panel badges look cool though. I wish the HCS had similar, but "high country special" would take up most of the quarter panel. 8)

classicsguy

I like the CS because the emblem of the rear quarter is better looking than the badge of HCS. even though most people know better the CS not everyone knows the California Special and the HCS is much lesser known to the majority of people. The CS due to their enhanced poularity are worth more. tO BE honest with you that HCS that was on classifieds and now on E bay I would go for it if it was a California Special since it is a J code and true GT and my favorite original paint!. A tough decision for me will be if I have to choose between a CS with a 289 or 302 ci engine and a HCS with an S code 390ci engine and a 4 speed. In that case I will go for the HCS because of the drivetrain option and like you said much fewer were made. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Thanks 66 HCS and Classic

I agree with you both. I have noticed that most CS's that are for sale have 289's, whereas most HCS's I see for sale have the 302 (J code), and much better options. I guess California wanted the flash, and Colorado wanted the DASH! I have checked on 3 68 HCS's so far, and all have been 302's! I would really prefer a yellow, 302, vinyl roof, numbers matching car, but at this point, I JUST WANT ONE!

carvensno

well dreamer, take a look at what i had, http://californiaspecial.com/forums/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=725, sorry i have no pics at this time, my dad had bought this gt/cs in 1970, the car had been in the family for over 20 yrs :'(, but consider this, that there were only 4118 CS's made and figure how many less are still out there, i see it that the CS is still a pretty rare car, alot of people still have no idea what GT/CS or a HCS is either, i have thought about buying all of the parts and making a CS, but after owning one its just not the same knowing that you have a nice rare car with the paperwork to back it up, and knowing that there are people out there that can look at your car and tell you " oh thats a fake"

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

1 GT/CS,

After 20 years I can't believe you let it go! My dad has a 64 Imperial he is going to give to me shortly. It is in very nice shape, but I have never liked driving that boat! Push button shifting, all power, nice options, but I will keep it, and someday pass it down to my son. What they do to it then, who knows! Anyway, I hope you are successful in tracking it down and getting it back. Good luck.....

carvensno

At the time dreamer i couldnt afford 2 cars with insurance, and at that time CA still had the smog rule in affect :mad:, they hadnt passed the 73 or older yet, so i had to worry about getting the car smogged also. Gas prices were going out the roof at that time :mad:, the CS was a daily driver and was costing me about 200.00 month in gas just for in town driving :'(, i would like to find it, and see how it is doing, but im not worried in trying to buy it back, i could deal with trying to buy a different CS, maybe as a project or daily driver condition, but hey if the car does go up for sale, hey im not going to complain! ;D

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Are there no more opinions out there? Where is Mr. Shelby Dallas when you need him? Relax, just a little 2003 humor. Seriously, any other opinions? Everyone so far has made great, valid points.....Where are you 68sunlitgold, are you off making Kimshee? Busy buying those Korean knock-offs? Christmas party hangover?

68sunlitgold

Fry,
Yes I have been eating Kimsee, getting great deals on stuff....but no parties. I guess I did not answer because I really did not feel one way or the other about the Cs or HCS, I love them both. Now as far as a favorite.....I have seen a couple of CS's and only Jon's HCS. I would say I like the way the GT/CS looks on the scoop over the HCS. Now as far as rarity and big block engines, the HCS really gets my interest. I say big block engines only because the numbers say there where a larger percentage of big blocks in the HCS over the CS. But I would of couse have to make sure the HCS came in Sunlit Gold ;D.
The bottom line with almost every threat on the site is...what do you feel great in while you drive down the road and get all the smiles and "thumbs up" from those you pass.
Doug

hcsstang

;D If the price is right that's the time to get it regardless if it's a CS or HCS. I like both of them.It's a lot of fun owning one of them. Hope to see you at Nashville in the spring. 8) ;)

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Sunlitgold and Hcsstang,

Doug, I guess the 68 HCS only came in Lime Gold? Anyway, I found a nice one, just too much for a poor retired MSgt! By the way, I could smell the Kimshee on your post! I too like the GT/CS on the side better than the HCS badge, but I am leaning towards the HCS. But Hcsstang is wise beyond his years going for whatever has a good price! Not planning on going to Nashville, but my son is hinting at wanting to take the trip. I am negotiating on an 85 SVO (I know this is the wrong site) only 439 of those babies built. If I get it, my son and I are going. If not, we may not make it! Want to make it my daily driver and the HCS my show car, but drive it about 2500 miles a year.....

BrandonB

I would personaly love to have an HCS as well as my CS. I will never give my CS up but if I had an HCS with a 390 or bigger I would be very happy. I got a V8 I shouldnt complain but other peoples V8 stomp mine =( (like my friends roadrunner with a 400) lol anywaus eitjer one is a good choice I would definatly take an HCS if you want shot car status =)

68sunlitgold

Fry,
can't complain about the SVO, I had a chance to buy one back in the late 80's but passed. A friend of mine bought it saying "these things will be worth something, someday". I saw in Mustang Monthly the convertible SVO (they did not make any but a guy used a '85 convertible and the parts from a wrecked SVO) and it looked great. Keep your eyes open becasue I am sure you will be able to find the car you are looking for, are you still looking for meadowlark yellow?
Doug

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Doug,

Meadowlark yellow would be my desire, only because I think the black looks awesome with it. It is not a sale breaker, but it is my ultimate. I like the lime gold with black, and of course your favorite, Sunlit Gold. Believe it or not, the SVO,s are not that expensive. Can get a good one for under 5K!

HCSMustang

CS or HCS, the only difference is the script and the emblem on the scoop. While the CS has the cool script on the rear qtrs, I don't think this is enough of a qualifier to say one is better than the other. Most people will vote for the model based on what they own, but come on, for all intents and purposes, there are no differences in these cars except for the installed options, engines/tranny's/etc. The HCS is rarer and one of the post was correct, I've seen quite a few CS's and very few HCS's. The nice thing about the HCS's is the fact that they were built late in the model year and so had a higher percentage with the big block. My HCS is sort of an oddball I guess, being built in July of '68 it still came with the 289, not the 302 that replaced it.

And I've had people come up to me and ask me if it was a Cal Spcl and when I told them it was a HCS, they seemed skeptical. Some guys have even told me it's a fake.

I guess the only way out of this dilemma is to buy one of each ;)