• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

exhaust manifold bolts

Talan423

i am removing the headers that came on my car and installing ford manifolds. this is the first time i have installed manifolds. i bought the bolt kit from NPD. included in it are four "long studs" i am assuming that these are also used to hold the air cleaner heat shroud on as well with a nut. i don't have the heat shields on my car. can anyone tell me which holes in the manifolds these studs go in?
also... did 67-68 exhaust manifolds have the "bolt locks" on them. i see a listing in the NPD catalog for 65-66, but nothing for 68.

thanks in advance for your help!

tom

68sunlitgold

Tom,
Here is a pic of the heatriser on the engine (the engine is actually a 289 but the heat shroud is the same except for the tube is larger on the 302), this should help.
Doug

Attachments

• engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 14

Russ

On my '68 GT and my GT/CS, there are the four long, entended stud/bolts that you describe, and they initially held brackets that allowed the factory to install the engine. These installation brackets were mounted with two exhaust manifold stud/bolts. One bracket was mounted on the driver side at the rear of the engine (the sixth and eighth bolt on the manifold, counting back from the front of the engine) and the other stud/bolts were mounted on the pasenger side (the third and fifth bolt back form the front).

Once the engine was installed, these brackets were supposed to be taken off (although some were left on the driver side). The stud/bolts on the passenger side were then used to mount the air intake shroud. Nuts were not re-installed on the driver side stud/bolts if the bracket was removed. I have the driver side bracket on one of my '68 Mustangs, but do not have it on my GT/CS.

If you have a bracket, it is painted Ford Corporate Blue, like the rest of the engine.

Hope this helps,
Russ

OP
OP
T

Talan423

DOUG AND RUSS, THANKS FOR THE HELP, I HAVE BEEN SCRATCHING MY HEAD ON THIS ONE FOR A FEW DAYS. THE NPD SALESMAN TRIED TELLING ME THAT THEY WERE THE MANIFOLD TO EXHAUST PIPE MOUNTING STUDS. I TOLD HIM THAT THIS WOULD THEN LEAVE ME 4 BOLTS SHORT FOR MOUNTING THE MANIFOLD TO THE ENGINE. HIS RESPONSE TO THAT WAS "I DON'T KNOW". MY HOIST BRACKETS ARE LONG GONE.

THANKS AGAIN FOR CLEARING IT UP FOR ME!

TOM