• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Interior Costs

Mosesatm

Here is a list of what I've spent so far to replace the interior of my GT/CS. I hope some of you find it helpful. If you see any prices that seem way out of line please share your thoughts with the rest of us so others don't follow my lead and make the same mistake.

Ebay Upper Console $201
MU Dash Pad $170
MU Seat Covers & Backs $160
MU Seat Foam Front $120
Ebay Door Speaker Grilles & Lenses $97
John's Instrument Bezel $80
Ebay Lower Console Pad $75
John's Passenger Floor Pans $70
Ebay Steering Wheel Woodgrain $66
Ebay Shifter Selector Plate $65
Ebay Console Shifter Plate $65
Plus Console Bracket $65
Ebay Seat Belts $60
Ebay Interior 1/4 Panels $55
John's Upper Dash Panel $55
MU Dark Aqua Paint & Dye $50
Ebay Deluxe Arm Rest $46
John's Firewall Insulation $45
Ebay Radio Bezel $43
MU Foglight Switch $43
John's Carpet Underlayment $40
Plus Gauge Lenses $37
Plus Sun Visors $35
Ebay Door Light $34
John's Shifter Bezel $34
Ebay Door Light $33
MU Lower Dash Pad $33
John's Steering Wheel Pad Base $33
Ebay Pillar Post Pads $32
MU Sunvisor Brackets $32
Ebay Door Panels - Parchment $30
John's Light Aqua Paint $30
MU Light Aqua Vinyl Dye $30
John's Steering Wheel Buttons $28
John's Headliner $27
John's Sound Deadener Pads $25
MU Console Trim $22
MU Dash Kit (Stick on) $21
John's Rear Window Seal $20
John's Windshield Seal $20
MU Light Aqua Dye $20
MU Light Aqua Paint $20
Plus Medium Aqua Paint $20
MU Console Woodgrain $20
John's Steering Wheel Center Emblem $18
MU Headliner Insulation $16
John's Dash Emblem Base $15
MU Kick Panel Insulation $15
MU Front Speaker $14
MU Welting at Headliner $13
MU Windlace $13
Ebay Dash Emblem $12
John's Watershield Kit $11
John's Package Tray $10
John's Package Tray Insulator $10
MU Interior Screws $10
Ebay Dash Hoses $8
John's Door and Seat Back Clips $8
MU Seat Installation Kit $7
John's Fuel Tank Filler Hose $6
John's Door Lock Gommets $5
John's Door Lock Knob Gommets $5
John's Glove Box Door Bumpers $5
Total $2,508:frust:

joedls

Mosesatm said:
Here is a list of what I've spent so far to replace the interior of my GT/CS. I hope some of you find it helpful. If you see any prices that seem way out of line please share your thoughts with the rest of us so others don't follow my lead and make the same mistake.

...... Total $2,508:frust:

Which is exactly why I stopped keeping track of costs on my 65 convertible restomod.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Jason, I'm kind of like you in that it will never be truely done but I'm hoping to have it inspected, licensed, and on the road in January.

68gt390

Arlie;
Why pillar post pads? From what my understanding is the GT/CS didn't come with pillar post pads. That was one of the things that threw me off when I first got my CS. I couldn't understand why my GT had them along with the knee pad on the dash and my CS didn't. I was scratching my head for some time until I saw a thread on this site and did some reading about them. :frust:

Don

joedls

68gt390 said:
Arlie;
Why pillar post pads? From what my understanding is the GT/CS didn't come with pillar post pads. That was one of the things that threw me off when I first got my CS. I couldn't understand why my GT had them along with the knee pad on the dash and my CS didn't. I was scratching my head for some time until I saw a thread on this site and did some reading about them. :frust:

Don

I don't know if it's correct, but my GT/CS has the pillar post pad and the knee pad.

68sunlitgold

I don't want to think what I have spent on parts from ebay....I really don't have to because my wife reminds me all the time.

Doug

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I like the looks of the pads, especially the knee pad. The pillar post pads may or may not end up in the car, haven't decided yet. They can tend to look a little clunky in some cars so I'll probably temporarily glue them on and see if my wife likes them before I drill holes in the A-pillars.

Since the car will be a driver and I have no intention of showing it in MCA meets I'm not worried about what is or is not correct. For example I'm also going to use black backed driving lights instead of chrome back fog lights. They are a whole lot cheaper to replace and throw out better light. I'm keeping a near-perfect set of fog lights for resale purposes, though. The rocker panels may also come off one of these days. I think the car looks better without them.

The lower console is another iffy subject. My car has the lower console but personally I have never liked the looks of the '68 console, especially when compared to the '67 unit. All that rubber stuff looks a little cheap and goofy to me so I may buy a '67 console and cover the aluminum trim with wood grain. Or maybe just a humphugger. I'm also putting in the wood grain steering wheel center, dash panels, and, eventually, the deluxe door panels, speaker/light grilles, and rear quarter trim arm rests and upholstery. Non of that is original to the car. Some day I'll also put in power seats if I can find some that look fairly close to the original Mustang seats. Something like '80 Eldorado seats maybe.

Some people find joy in taking a car back to exactly as it came out of the factory with every little nut, bolt, and tag but I have much more fun mildly upgrading things and changing things to what I like, and what my wife likes. They more she enjoys the car the happier my life will be!!!

390cs68rcode

what will be fun is to tell people that is the way it came from the factory. Let them think about it for a little while.

BTW I want dibs on that lower console if you don't use it. I am sure I will have another 68 that needs a lower (I like the "cheap and goofy look" :icon_ecst ) console.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Hey, there's nothing wrong with cheap and goofy. That's why I have 50 different grinch ties. At around $9 each on eBay they are certainly cheap and it goes without saying that they are goofy!

68sunlitgold

Arlie,
I too thought the 67 console looked better than the 68, but once I got mine restored and put it in the car I changed my opinion. I really like how it looks and blends in with the dach pad. It is however much harder to find decent looking pads.

Doug