• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Found out another cool fact about one of the 428 CS's

John McGilvary

PNewitt said:
Hi John!

Welcome to the group! Thanks for writing, too!

I gave you a call about a month ago--I run the GT/CS Registry. You sent me your registration in the mail.

I need to talk to your Ford dealer friend, too, ASAP.

Again, welcome! I'm sure everyone is excited that you are here to answer questions!

Paul Newitt
Hi Paul, Thanks, How can my friend get ahold of you ? I don't think he's on the net. AS you can tell I'm new at this. John McGilvary

68gt390

John McGilvary said:
Yes, its me, I talked to Paul N. on the phone a while back after I registred my CS 428cj . I had no idea that there were so many people interested in California Specials. My CS has been my baby since I bought it brand new. John

John;
Welcome to the site. WOW, an original owner what a deal. I'm sure you are among just a handfull of folks on this site that have had their CS from day one. That's pretty neat.
Don :cool:

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

Hi John,

Remember that I mentioned that your CJ-GT/CS should be worth "six figures" easily! Only "IF" you wanted to part with it--you might consider something like Barrett-Jackson. We'll be featuring your car in my new book, too.

As a side note--I did the research and authored the history of the '68 Shelby prototype "Green Hornet", that today (according to Motor Trend CLASSIC magazine), is worth $2.2 M.

You have a small gold mine there...but you already know that.

We'll be talking soon.

Paul N.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

Remember that I mentioned that your CJ-GT/CS should be worth "six figures" easily! Only "IF" you wanted to part with it--you might consider something like Barrett-Jackson.

With all due respect I do not think this car is worth $100k+. I would say a very nice and complete 428 CS is worth 70k (give or take a little either way) in todays market. I know how rare they are and this one is the first CJ built at the San Jose plant. Nice CJ coupes and fastbacks are going for $60-75k right now. There are not THAT many people who would pay a premium for a 428 CS over a regular 68.5 CJ. If the CS's were more desirable to a wider range of buyers then yes this 428 CS would be worth more.

John, no disrespect to your car but as you know it needs a good deal of work and $$$$$$ to make it nice and correct. I hope you kept all the Cobra Jet stuff from it over the years. You can spend 15k on the motor alone to make it visually correct (ask me, I know since I have almost finished making my CJ motor correct).

P

PNewitt

The "Six-figure" value that I've commented on, I feel, is based on the fact that it was the first San Jose Cobra Jet, and that it will be documented. The CJ Registry is all over this car!

It's the documentation in a book or magazine that can greatly affect value. Being an "original owner" car also helps the value, too.

This is despite the condition (as I have seen the car in photos).

Just my opinion, based on my involvement with the "Green Hornet".

Paul N.

CJ

John McGilvary; Glad to see another original owner on board and Vietnam vet. There aren't many original owner's here.

CJ

68gt390

John;
Am looking forward to seeing pictures as you progress through your restoration on your CS. I'm sure you've had many questions on your car from everybody. From one Vietnam Vet to another, welcome home John.

Don :cool:

GTCSMustang

Well this is an interesting discussion. What is a 1968.5 CJ GT/CS worth? I agree with Jason on this one. Don't get me wrong. I'd pay big money for just such a car. I'd love to have one. But I'm pretty sure that many people are going to look at it as a CJ coupe, and not give much credit to the fact that it's a GT/CS. You could spend a $100,000 doing the car (don't ask me how I know). The CJ stuff is getting expensive. Depends on how you want to do it. NOS parts or reproduction. Probably save $30,000 by going reproduction. But getting someone to pay $100,000 in the open market might be tough. But....if you get the original owner, and Paul N. up on stage at Battett Jackson on Saturday night. Yep, I'll bet it would do well. A friend of mine sold his GT500KR there in January. Couldn't get any interest at any more than low $200's. But at BJ it sold for around $400K. It's all timing. Mine has never been very good. So John? I understand that you aren't interested in selling the car, but is there some amount of money that will buy it?

John McGilvary

GTCSMustang said:
Well this is an interesting discussion. What is a 1968.5 CJ GT/CS worth? I agree with Jason on this one. Don't get me wrong. I'd pay big money for just such a car. I'd love to have one. But I'm pretty sure that many people are going to look at it as a CJ coupe, and not give much credit to the fact that it's a GT/CS. You could spend a $100,000 doing the car (don't ask me how I know). The CJ stuff is getting expensive. Depends on how you want to do it. NOS parts or reproduction. Probably save $30,000 by going reproduction. But getting someone to pay $100,000 in the open market might be tough. But....if you get the original owner, and Paul N. up on stage at Battett Jackson on Saturday night. Yep, I'll bet it would do well. A friend of mine sold his GT500KR there in January. Couldn't get any interest at any more than low $200's. But at BJ it sold for around $400K. It's all timing. Mine has never been very good. So John? I understand that you aren't interested in selling the car, but is there some amount of money that will buy it?
Thanks, but no thanks. Don't need any parts, just a paint job. John

scott adams

Hi John
glad to see you at this site there is a great bunch of people here.

its great to see a very original San Jose built cj car.
I understand why you dont whant to sell it it is a one of a kind that cant
be replaced.

Last edited:

GTCSMustang

John,

Just curious about the exhaust that is on the car. Is it still original? I just went through trying to put together an original system for a CJ. Hopefully you still have yours, but if you don't I may be able to round up some parts for you if you are interested.

Scott

Mustanglvr

GTCSMustang, you need to set up some pics in the gallery for all your beautiful cars.

GTCSMustang

I think I put some pictures in a different post a while ago. I could put some in the gallery (when I figure out how to) of the CS. Not sure anyone would care about the others.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

GTCSMustang said:
I think I put some pictures in a different post a while ago. I could put some in the gallery (when I figure out how to) of the CS. Not sure anyone would care about the others.

How about an action shot of you with the Q tips? :grin:

P

PNewitt

To a few, this may be an unpopular post, but I feel this needs to be said:

I wish to put in perspective how this conversation is going....it's coming across like: "Hey, John, welcome to the group, and, oh, by the way, would you like to sell your car? We'll help you out here, and tell you what it's worth, and maybe you'll sell it? Hey, whadda ya think?...and, oh, yeah, welcome, nice car...etc..."

John barely has 8 posts, and you guys are all over him. Sure, people buy and sell cars, etc., all the time, and it's John's business to do whatever he wants, "if" and "when"....

However-- we all have this affinity for the car, and absolute passion at times. Why take away that personal experience of owning a GT/CS-- by offering to buy it? John has a lifetime of experiences with his CS. We need to share that, and understand that that ownership (especially original ownership) has GREAT value. You can't buy memories like that.

So...I think we have a lot to learn FIRST about what makes this car so special, and the experiences, and the details of it's documentation. The history of this one car is so important to not only us, but to the '68 CJ crowd.

Something to think about.

Paul N.

somethingspecial

Well said Paul!!!!!

I welcome anyone to this site, and I agree with Paul, Memories of cars sold are always bitter sweet. My first car was a GT/CS, I made the mistake of selling it 15 years ago, and as fate would have it, I was able to buy it back last year. It will never be sold again, not while I am still living. Mike

John McGilvary

Thanks to all for the welcome. The Exhaust is about the only part of my CS that is not original. I have done most of the work on the CS and prety much know where every nut and bolt belong. If you have seen the pictures my friend Armond has on the 428cj web site you can tell I'm in the middle of detailing the car before it gets a new paint job. Armond does restorations and said the car is in exc. shape, so for now it will stay original. " Paul" you mentioned the Green Hornet, and my question is ( what color was the engine painted ). No I'M not going to paint my engine anything but the right color of blue.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

PNewitt said:
To a few, this may be an unpopular post, but I feel this needs to be said:

I wish to put in perspective how this conversation is going....it's coming across like: "Hey, John, welcome to the group, and, oh, by the way, would you like to sell your car? We'll help you out here, and tell you what it's worth, and maybe you'll sell it? Hey, whadda ya think?...and, oh, yeah, welcome, nice car...etc..."

John barely has 8 posts, and you guys are all over him. Sure, people buy and sell cars, etc., all the time, and it's John's business to do whatever he wants, "if" and "when"....

However-- we all have this affinity for the car, and absolute passion at times. Why take away that personal experience of owning a GT/CS-- by offering to buy it? John has a lifetime of experiences with his CS. We need to share that, and understand that that ownership (especially original ownership) has GREAT value. You can't buy memories like that.

So...I think we have a lot to learn FIRST about what makes this car so special, and the experiences, and the details of it's documentation. The history of this one car is so important to not only us, but to the '68 CJ crowd.

Something to think about.

Paul N.

Paul:

I can completely see where you are coming from with your post.

Please also keep in mind we do not know if John is gonna keep the car or sell it. With a 428 CS owner coming around (there can only be 3 428 CS's owners) I think it is VERY important to ANYONE that would like to own one of the 3 428 CS's if a 428 CS owner wants to sell then why not someone from the site? I personally asked in a nice way as did one other person. He does not want to sell and you will not see me asking again. I feel there is no harm in asking ONCE.