• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Cobra Project Update

limelyt

Good question. It is no reflection. They are called Team Stripes. When they raced the cobra's, many were the same color combo. Not many different varieties of color choices. Anyway, one time woudl paint them red, one yellow, etc. I thought they looked really cool so I decided to paint them on my car - only toned them down to match the center stripe. They were always on the drivers fender as that is what you would see in LeMan's type racing when the car came by.

That is the cool thing about these cars. You can build them the way that YOU want them - color combo's - interior - wheels - engine - etc.

I have not see alot of cobras that chose to "tone" down the stripe - but have it there for folks to ask about.

Paul
\

thanks for the info. A very cool idea

Gary

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Here are some recent photo's from this weekend. Actually, I finished installing the seats yesterday, and all belts. So, we need doors - door panels - door hardware and adjustment of doors and we will be pretty much ready for World of Wheels.

We are not going to start the car again until after WOW. Then, we will bring the car back, do some electrical checks - and make sure it is safe to fire up again. I have a few small things that I want to correct from the build that I will wait until after the show to do.

There is one picture with all three "family" snakes in the garage. We had a KC Star newspaper writer come visit us yesterday so it was a show-n-tell day. He is doing an article on the "Brotherhood of Snakes" (my brother, brother-in-law, and my cobra). It was cool to have all three of them in the same shop.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 39

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Paul, the car is looking fantastic. I really like the "Team Stripes".

You're of course going to post the newspaper article when it gets published, right?

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Another Cobra Update

Well, we are pretty much finished and ready to go to World of Wheels (KC). Our move in day is Weds this week. Tomorrow, we have the painter coming over for a quick buff on the three cobras before moving them in on Weds of this week. The show is Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Car is pretty much ready. One more clean up after the buff. We will have to push it in and push it out as we still have electrical checks to perform and a carb to rebuild before we start it again. We bled brakes this past weekend and still have the clutch slave cylinder to bleed.

Wish us luck.

Paul

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 32
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 40
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 31
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 43

Ruppstang

Wow Paul It look wonderful! That should help you not miss the GT-CS so much. Good luck at the World of Wheels. Marty

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

The "Black Pearl" is moved into World of Wheels and stands ready for its first show. We moved it in on Weds. That is my brother-in-laws Factory Five behind the Pearl and my brothers car behind him. Then, we have another cobra replica here in Weatherby Lake and he is parked behind my brother.

Should be a good show. It is a pit stop design display. Yes, there is a "dummy" in the drivers seat that Zach made for us.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC02423.jpg
    DSC02423.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC02424.jpg
    DSC02424.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02429.jpg
    DSC02429.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 33

robert campbell

Paul,
AWESOME! I started a Cobra kit in the late 1980's. It was a Cardiac Cobra from Vancouver BC. Had it part way and then my son was born. Two seater didn't see so good with 3 of us. sold it for what I had in it. I had a 429 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, and a 3.50 9 inch Detroit Locker in it. All in all I should have kept it and finished.

Maybe another day.

Your car looks great. Concrats on the trophy! By the way, this isn't off topic to me!!! You are a GT/CS guy through and through!!

Rob

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Rob and Marty

Many thanks for the compliments. Rob - you are correct. Wore my blue GT/CS golf shirt to work just today!!

Paul

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

A few new photo's taken today. Now waiting on my appointment to take cobra in to the MO Highway Patrol for first round of inspections. If I can get past them, then down to Jeff City for a VIN application. Then back to Hwy Patrol with car for installation of VIN plate. Finally, regular inspections and plates. Maybe someday!!

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00995.JPG
    DSC00995.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00997.JPG
    DSC00997.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00993.JPG
    DSC00993.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Oh. I forgot. The guy who did the newspaper article on us here in Kansas City is going to do a TV show on our cobra's. We are suppose to tape it on this Weds - as long as the weather cooperates.

Paul

Ruppstang

Paul she looks really sweet. Don't you got to love all the legal hoops you have to jump through just to pay your taxes so you can drive a car that you! built. Marty

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Yep. We are really struggling with an engine S/N. If you don't know it, with regards to FE engines, there is a S/N stamped on all 1968 and newer FE engines. S/N is located on the drivers side block, above the bell housing and below the head. Very difficult to see once the engine is in the car. Any time you build or restore an engine, do yourself a big favor and write down all numbers from the block before you install it in the car.

Pre-1968, the S/N was more a hit a miss. Some had a number, some did not.

It is very aggrevating that I had my engine out for such a long time and never even gave it a thought as to look at numbers on the block and write them down. I am now learning a lesson. We have taken pictures of the number and have sent in to the Hwy Patrol to see if they can make sense out of the numbers (not stamped well). Worst case - they make us remove the engine to get a look at the number themselves if we can't figure it out. Oh - by the way - the engine does not just come out. The car comes completely apart to get the engine back out again.

You are right Marty - fun, fun.

Paul

Ruppstang

That is one of those things you will never forget. Pain is a great teacher. Marty

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

We shot the TV Show yesterday. Amazing to me how the process worked. We met around 9:30 am. Then the Producer and Camera Man set out to find a good "static" shooting location. After at least 4 hours of shooting static shots, we did some driving shots of all three cobra's together. This was about 10 passes back and forth with the Producer giving us instruction.

In the end, it will air on a special segment on the weekend news. Segment will be cut to about 2 minutes. We will get a DVD of the cut project. After the show airs, it will be posted on the NBC site.

I will post the link once it airs.

Long day but cool to see the process.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC01014.jpg
    DSC01014.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC01024.jpg
    DSC01024.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1759.jpg
    IMG_1759.jpg