• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Engine Block Stampings

68sunlitgold

BrandonB,
Congrates on your car and the matching numbers, I knew it all the time. I wish you luck with your car and the plans you have for it.
Doug

??? OKAY GUYS, SOLVE THIS CAPER .... 68 GT/CS .... 289 engine. VIN 8RO1C149519.

HERE ARE THE PICS OF WHAT IS ON MY ENGINE BLOCK WHEN WE REDID IT ABOUT A YEAR AND HALF AGO.

YOU SHOULD KNOW A WE HAVE THIS ABSOLUTELY WACKY STRANGE HEAT SHROUD TUBE THAT FITS OVER THE HEADERS BUT ITS NOT THE NORMAL ONE ON A 289 ENGINE. I HAVE ASKED A FEW PLACES ABOUT THE PART AND NO ONE HAS ANY IDEA WHAT IT IS. ONE GUY AT CARLISLE LAST YEAR SAID IT WAS A SPECIFIC PART MADE FOR ENGINES SOLD OUT OF LA. EMISSIONS STUFF. WHO KNOWS.

THEY DO NOT MATCH TO ME AT ALL.

stangchick

This is Rachael again - here are the pics

Attachments

• DCP_0015.JPG
    DCP_0015.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 35

68sunlitgold

Rachael,
I remember you asking me about your heat shroud over 3 years ago....I see still no answer. As for your number on your pictures, they are not the block stamping we are discussing, the first is the block part #, the second is the firing order on the intake manifold, not sure about the third. Look at the picture that Jon (admin) posted with the circle around the number, that is where the VIN # should be. As for the heat shroud, the only thing I can say is it looks like an older 70/71 mustang heat shroud. Please post the picture of the shroud so everyone can see it and maybe someone can answer it.
Doug

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Racheal,

Is that last picture taken between the windshield and dash? It looks like one of the 3 places your VIN is located. Can you post a picture of the Heat Shield and is it still on the engine? I may know what it is if I can see a picture......

stangchick

All pictures are of all markings on the engine (engine block). Those are the only numbers we could see on the engine block when we redid the engine and engine compartment. The last picture is a brass type plate that appears to be riveted to the block.

YES I AM STILL SEARCHING FOR AN ANSWER ABOUT THE HEAT SHROUD TUBE./Heat sheild/whatever it is. It is not on the engine because as you can tell from the pic its not in that great of shape.

Glazier's is not far from us and in June when the weather was nice I had planned to drive down and let them take a look.

Attachments

• enginepic.jpg
    enginepic.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 26

stangchick

1st PIC - is of the engine compartment before the update. Off the air filter there is an odd cup shaped ring. Its copper tubing that has been cut off. The tubing appeared to stretch from air filter to the round tube part on the right side of the heat shroud tube.

2nd PIC - is of a regular 289 with the heat shroud tube. We have bought and tried this heat shroud tube. There is no way it fits on my engine. Our air filter is the same as on a regular 289 though.

3rd PIC - is of a 390 engine. I imagine the part that fits our car is similair to this BUT I do not have a 390 engine in the vehicle. Any replacement part I buy at autozone fits on our car almost all the time.

Attachments

• orgenginepic.jpg
    orgenginepic.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 10

stangchick

Obviously I can't post today with out screwing up. THIS IS THE ACTUALLY PART. I must have been having a blonde moment....

Attachments

• engine_part.jpg
    engine_part.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Rachael,

Based on the engine pics you posted (great job even if you are blonde) the tube or cup you refer to on your breather is connected to the heat shield you show. I will try to explain.
If you notice the "door" inside your breather has springs. It is opened and closed by the heat that runs off your engine and up through the heat shield, into the tube (that connects to your "cup") opening or closing the door in your breather. It all works with the choke and carb too (although I can't explain how!) I believe the heat shield also trys to keep your starter from getting too hot and not being able to turn your engine. Most mustangs have taken all that off and run a different breather, unless they are in competition or shows. Finally, Your part you posted last (during your blonde moment) looks modified to me, because it looks incomplete, unless it is like Doug says and is from a later mustang. In that case, it probably is modified. It has nothing to do with california emissions, that is a whole other topic and california did have extra emission equipment on their engines. Anyway, I hope this helps and it is not a critical piece for your car to run.

cmacias24

C6********, Doesn't that mean 1966? I was working on my engine the other day and while changing the oil pan I notice a similar engine block number. I thought that I was decieved and it was not the original block. SO if the number starts with a C6**** is that okay

stangchick

I am really obsessed with finding out why this is so messed up. In doing a bit of research the answer maybe that one of the headers is not for a 289. We looked on the web and through some catalogs and could not find an answer.

This picture is of the headers for the car. The one on the right is the one that the heat shield goes over.

Anyone know what type of header that is???

Thanks for everyone's help.

Attachments

• headers1.jpg
    headers1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Stangchick,
Those are exhaust manifolds and not headers. I believe they are called "log style" manifolds and are common to Fords. But the one on the right, does it have tubes or tunnels running through it? It doesn't look thick enough to.
Also, the picture you posted of the 289 engine. The top arrow you have drawn points to something that does work with your emissions called a Thermactor unit I believe. it works with a smog pump and also with the exhaust manifolds. I took mine off. I will try and do a little research for you. Does it have any casting numbers?

Russ

The bottom manifold is an "early style" exhaust manifold that fits a 289 or a 302 ci engine. The upper manifold is a later replacement that has strengthening ribs to reduce or stop the manifold from warping from heat. The exhaust manifold has nothing to do with the 1968 emissions issues, which were called IMCO (automatic trans) and Thermactor (manual trans). Look for a right manifold that matches your left one and the heat shroud will fit perfectly. Also, you will need two special manifold studs to mount the shroud. Hope this helps.

Russ