• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rack and Pinion Steering for GTCS

davidathans

Has anyone done this conversion?
How much does it cost?
Was it worth it?
Was there a major improvement in handling?

I have not replaced any of my steering components and i think something in that area will be next to go because everything else has already been replaced.

Has anyone broken anything in the steering system on their mustang?

Im debating on whether to spend money to replace the stock steering system (ball & Joint??) or to instead convert to rack & pinion. I dont know what the price difference would be...

thanks,
David

68gt390

David;
I've checked into switching over the front suspension and a friend of mine who does the conversions said I could get a really nice kit for around $2500.00 to $3000.00 not including installation. I have driven a friends 68 Fastback with Big Block with the conversion and it really makes the car handle nice. It's like night and day between his car and mine. I think my GT Coupe will be next inline for the conversion. I had thought of putting it on the CS but, since the only real mods I've done to it are in the engine I think I'll leave the CS as she is.

Don 8)

nfrntau

FatMan Fabrications
http://www.fatmanfab.com/06page19.htm

RRS
http://www.rrs-online.com/html/steering.htm

Flaming River
https://wiki.blinkenarea.org/bin/mini?u=pO

Total Control Products
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rack.html

There are many companies selling a conversion but these appear to be the four most popular companies at the moment. I also am looking at installing a R&P in my GT/CS. I have not purchased yet and am not ready for it yet either. I have been leaning towards the Flaming River set-up. In my opinion it seems to be the most bang for the buck. The Flaming River system also includes a tilt steering column.
RRS is an Australian company but they have a US distributor. Check out the sites and if you go this way I would like to know which company you went with and why.
Cheers

harryz

I did some more research on this...

The Flaming River r&p system was very vocally criticized in the Vintage Mustang Forum earlier this year. The complaints seems to center around cars with headers and 4 speeds. I guess this is not too much of a surprise as no two brands of headers are alike, and adding a clutch linkage into the mix makes it really difficult to get the r&p system installed in the car and work properly.

If you look at Flaming River's web site today, you will see that they have different systems depending on whether or not you have headers and some other factors, so I guess the fitment complaints were valid.

My concern with Flaming River is that they did not seem too cooperative with the folks who were having problems. I sent them an e-mail several days ago with some questions about their systems and have not received a reply. Has anyone had a positive experience dealing the Flaming River ?

On another note, there is yet another r&p system out there that we haven't listed yet. The company name is Steeroids. The interesting points with their setup is that it includes adjustable tie rod ends to "eliminate bump steer problems" (this appears to be an issue with other r&p setups). and it also works with your stock power steering pump! Does anyone have any experience with this setup?

http://www.speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=75

Aloha,

Harry Z.

SNUTT

I’ve just completed installing the Flaming River manual R&P and my story is long. So keeping my comments short, the company Flaming River was great and really helped me (more than they had to). Over a year and half ago I purchased the unit from Mustang Depot and didn’t do the installation until about 3 months ago. The installation was a disaster! The bracket that holds the R&P didn’t fit, tie rod ends were wrong and the linkage from R&P to the column was bad news. A call to FR verified the problems and they were ready to replace the unit. All I needed to do was go back to MD and take care of the invoice. However, MD wouldn’t help; they have a 90 day policy on returns. So FR did a new invoice and I received a new unit. So FR is at the top of my good guy list and MD is in the middle. You can see an installation at Karmustang.com. Click on their Restomod Upgrades and you will see a selection which includes an R&P installation. Also, I retained my existing steering column so I installed a bushing on the shaft end.

Randy

SNUTT

[quote author=davidathans link=board=1;threadid=2086;start=0#msg14169 date=1125851602]
My car has the original tilt away(swing away) steering option...will installing the rack and pinion system affect this?
[/quote]

I also have a tilt away steering column and didn’t experience any installation problems. I elected to remove the column in order to make the needed cut, have a bushing made and install the coupler.

Randy