• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Is a 1968 GT/CS with a 289ci engine a good investment?

P

PNewitt

Don--gorgeous GT/CS!! There is a "value" to spending more than what a car is worth. The value is in the fun and enjoyment you are getting out of the car. Compare that to, say, playing golf, and course fees, or having a big boat, and licensing, or many other hobbies and interests. Besides--the reduction in stress from this kind of fun is worth thousands by "not" spending future medical costs, etc....so, it is all relevant.

On another note--since someone may ask:

The '06 4.0 V6 has 210hp @ 5300 rpm, and 240 lbs. of torque @ 3500 rpm

The '68 289 2 bbl has 195hp, and 288 lbs of torque @ 2600 rpm.

Yes--this is sorta like apples and oranges in comparison, and despite how they measure hp differently now, look at the torque numbers. The added two cylinders, and a longer stroke of the 289 (despite the 2bbl), gives you 28 more lbs. of torque. This will give you more pulling power off the line than the V6.

I know this is a potentially arguable point, but I just wanted to show how "valid" the 289 2 bbl. is, compared to a 2006 Mustang V6.

So--if you have any doubts, the 289 is nothing to sneeze at.

PAUL N.

PB GT/CS

So far as value is concerned, I would say they have the most value to those who like them. We like ours. I believe they are a good buy at today's prices. It is a wonderful way to be seen and it will not likely depreciate. I remind everyone that some Plymouth Superbirds sat on the lots for nearly a year. They are now worth the big bucks. Our car sat for about 6 months after in arrived at the dealer. Even though these are not Shelbys, they are not regular coups either. To me, the spread from Shelby to our cars is too large and the spread from regular coups to our cars is too small. Perhaps the Shelby is too high and perhaps our cars are a little low. When all of the dust settles, our cars look cool and draw a lot of attention. They are not priced out of reach for good "Ford" guys. We will be ok on price. Will they soon be 100K?? Probably not, but we still love ours.

Brian