• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Battery Tray Size

GTCSMustang

Today I tried to put a reproduction group 24 Autolite battery in my 1968 Mustang and found that the tray was about an inch short of what is required to get the battery to sit flat. Did all Mustangs have group 24 trays in them. Since the current tray is too short, does that mean it was replaced at some point. Or did my car come with a smaller battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

390cs68rcode

[quote author=GTCSMustang link=board=1;threadid=1408;start=0#msg8202 date=1108353597]
Today I tried to put a reproduction group 24 Autolite battery in my 1968 Mustang and found that the tray was about an inch short of what is required to get the battery to sit flat. Did all Mustangs have group 24 trays in them. Since the current tray is too short, does that mean it was replaced at some point. Or did my car come with a smaller battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott
[/quote]

Scott

for what it is worth I have replaced both the batteries from the cars I bought from you with the Autolite repros and they both hang over the edge of the tray.

If I had to guess I would say they came with smaller batteries.

OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

Jason,

That's good to know. Apparently they don't reproduce the smaller group 22 batteries.

Thanks for looking.

Scott

gtcs1

battery tray too short

I replaced my battery tray with a 68 repo ??? and the new 24 battery fit perfect. ::)

I replaced my battery. Got the replacement from Ford for my 68. It is a code 24FA. Battery doesn't fit in the existing tray, short by 1" me too.

New Battery size is 6.8" W X 10.15" L X 8.0" H.

Tray space is 6.9" X 9.15".

What to do ? I saw the previous answer that the repro tray could be longer???

I looked around on some vendor, haven't seen tray dimensions.

Should I try to find a smaller battery ?

Saw this tray at Mustang shop, but no dimensions. http://www.themustangshop.ca/product/9499478/657983

Thanks
Pierre gtcs1

Last edited:

Ruppstang

I replaced my battery. Got the replacement from Ford for my 68. It is a code 24FA. Battery doesn't fit in the existing tray, short by 1" me too.

New Battery size is 6.8" W X 10.15" L X 8.0" H.

Tray space is 6.9" X 9.15".

What to do ? I saw the previous answer that the repro tray could be longer???

I looked around on some vendor, haven't seen tray dimensions.

Should I try to find a smaller battery ?

Saw this tray at Mustang shop, but no dimensions. http://www.themustangshop.ca/product/9499478/657983

Thanks
Pierre gtcs1

Most of the small blocks came with a F22 battery which fit the tray. There are no reproduction F22 batteries although you may be able to find non Ford battery that will fit. The F24 battery was considered the heavy duty battery and was a option that cost about $9 more.
It is a bit ironic that just tonight I removed the F22 battery tray from our 68 HCS and installed a NOS Ford F24 so I can use my Autolite reproduction battery for shows.
I would buy a aftermarket E24 tray and get the extra cranking power.
Good luck
Marty

gtcs1

Hi,

I did just that. Bought a repro tray for the Ford 24FA battery. Bought the one shown in the above link. The dimensions fit exactly the 24FA battery I just bought from my Ford dealer.

Thanks for the info, it helped me decide.

Pierre

Last edited:

CuervoSpecial

Question regarding the frame below, what's the best way to replace that section forward to the -Clip

Ruppstang

Question regarding the frame below, what's the best way to replace that section forward to the -Clip

Are you asking about the frame section that the bumper arms bolt to? If so there are repair parts available that you section in.