• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Air Conditioning question

68sunlitgold

I asked this question on the old forum, but never got a response. Does anyone know if the Rear Compressor Brace, part # C8ZA-2889-A, that goes between the back of the compressor and the block was on 289's and was it just used on Tecumseh or York compressors, or was it not used on '68's at all? The engine A/C parts on my CS were taken off and I am trying to put it back on and there is no brace. ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you reply could you tell me what type of compressor, Tecumseh or York, you have. Thanks
Doug

C160223

Doug,

according to Bob Mannel's book "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8 1962-1969" all Fords in 1968, except full size Fords, had the compressor brace.

John

brkt.jpg

ac.jpg

C160223

Doug

Ford had their "Custom" line, it was plane jane base model full size Ford, there was the "LTD's", the "Galaxie's" basically all the big bodied cars.

John

bish

For what it'sworth, my 289 wth dealer installed air has the brace.

C160223

hey bish

do you have the a/c that hangs under your dash?
If so, do you have any pics of the a/c unit under the dash and pic of the a/c parts under the hood?
I've seen the unit before, but not installed on a car.

John

OP
OP
68sunlitgold

68sunlitgold

John,
I have a pic of the A/C that was in my coupe which the dealer installed (I don't know when it was installed), however the pic is of it not installed in the car because I took in out when I (or should I say my father) started restoring the car. Here is a pic of it.
Doug

Attachments

• AC.jpg
    AC.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 633

bish

John,
Ya, mine does hang under the dash. However its not the one Doug has put in his response (a pretty cool trick my man!) Mine runs fron under the radio to the end of the glove box. Sorry, I don't have a picture of it. Its out being restored. I may have a picture of under the hood, i'm going to look and will post tomorow.

I have a pic of the correct underdash dealer install hang on unit. It is the "economy unit", or the one used in cars without a console. Just sold it last month to someone in CA. I will post it in the next string.

You don't see these too often, notice the Ford crest on the right. This came out of a Mustang coupe, and is correct for dealer install 1967-68 Ford cars.
acc.jpg

C160223

does anybody have a picture with this type of underdash A/C. I am thinking of installing this type, but not to sure on how it will look. The place that is selling the NOS kit in the pic wants $1550.00 ( thats about $2500 Canadian !!! ), just a little too pricey!

Attachments

• C7ZZ-19B968-A_67-68_under_dash_ac.jpg
    C7ZZ-19B968-A_67-68_under_dash_ac.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 941

I don't have a installed pic, but I believe the nos pic under your text shows a big car/truck ac unit. I will be getting a correct factory underdash unit for console cars, which mounts on the passenger side underdash and is "slimline", very similar to the one pictured, except not as long, (because of the console). If anybody wants it, let me know, used condition but no cracks and decent daily driver condition $100.00 obo. This does not include underhood components. Who wants a factory rear defroster? I will post these properly on the classifieds page when they become available.