• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

i need some gt/cs advice! please...

OP
OP
F

ford9

the other one

Attachments

• tasd.jpg
    tasd.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 33

Jayscal

Your car looks great ! Do you have any pictures of the cruise control stuff on the inside of the car and in the engine compartment? I have yet to see a 68 Mustang with this option.

68sunlitgold

ford9,
the car looks great, I see it has Marchal lights, are they attached to the grille by brackets or are they attached to the grille molding (the wide bottom part)?

Jayscal,
Here is a picture of the cruise parts in the engine bay I scanned from a book. The interior does not look much different other than the blinker is different.

Doug

Attachments

• cruise_control.jpg
    cruise_control.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 45

68sunlitgold

ford9,
I saw the military sticker on the car...are you stationed at McChord? I too am in the military, I just left working with Boeing for 3 1/2 years flying on the test AWACS plane at Boeing field. Sure wish I would have had a chance to see the car.
Doug

OP
OP
F

ford9

thanks for the pics of the cruise parts. i know you cant see them engine compartment because they are not in it right now. its in pieces in the trunk. so is the airconditioning unit i think.

I almost bought this car back in october. However after having the owner do a walk around while on the phone to me it seemed a little rusty in the shock tower tops. I sent to Marti for the report and it was not a GT/CS and the interior was standard from the factory. It is however a true GT 390 car. Hate to seem the the know it all but I spent some time researching this car and speaking with the owner in depth. Good luck and enjoy your big block

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Wow jerri, small world. Thanks for the info.

StraightSix

Oh, well. :-\ Still, $6500 is a pretty good price for a 390 GT! And the styling can't be beat ;)

-Winston

OP
OP
F

ford9

yeah jerry thanks. i kinda figured that it was just a gt after i got my cac report back. but yeah it is a small world, holy crap i wishyou would have posted a day sooner before i bought another marti report on it. lol. seriously thanks. i dont know what to do with in now. i think it would cost too much to convert it back. i will probably just leave it as a clone. thanks to everyone for all thier info. hopefully oneday i will own a gt/cs. a gt 390 is a good place to start though.

StraightSix

Converting it back wouldn't be prohibitively expensive, but you might as well keep it looking like it is if you like the look. That's what I would do. Well, actually what I would do is take all of the GT/CS sickers off and make it my own personal aftermarket conversion ala Shelby, Saleen, Sean Hyland, Kenny Brown, et al.

-Winston

68sunlitgold

ford9,
Why not take the next step and make it a Green Hornet or Little Red, these where 67 & 68 coupes that where converted to Shelbys. Unfortunately Little Red was scrapped (or that is the last word on it) but the Green Hornet is still around. All you need is a 68 Shelby hood and front end. Would look great considering you already have a big block.
Doug

StraightSix

Great idea, Doug!

Then the car will be more like a replica and less like a clone!

-Winston

OP
OP
F

ford9

hell yeah doug! i mean its "not the real thing" so it does not matter what i do with it now. you have any pictures of the little red or green hornet? sounds pretty cool! i trying to decide on what to do with the car now. but i am seriously going to consider making it into a shelby coupe. either which way i need to do a minor restoration on it anay way. there are a couple of problem parts so who knows maybe in two years itll be a shelby coupe :). any way ill keep yall posted....

68sunlitgold

ford9,
Here is a picture of the Green hornet, it has all the same components as the 68 Shelby convertible but is a coupe. It was originally a 68 California special then converted into a Shelby. It has a 428 Cobra Jet in it, the side stripe on the car said EXP500. Very cool looking!! 8)

This picture is from the 96 registry but the original article was in the November 94 Mustang Monthly

Doug

Attachments

• greenhornet1.jpg
    greenhornet1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 15

68sunlitgold

ford9,
Here is another picture with the article in the '96 Registry. The picture shows the car after is was found and restored!!

Doug

Attachments

• greenhornet2.jpg
    greenhornet2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 20

68sunlitgold

ford9,
Here is the '67 Little Red, it was based of the 67 Shelby front end but an entirely new rearend because there was no convertible in '67. This car was the real reason for the CS.

Doug

Attachments

• 67Littlered.jpg
    67Littlered.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
F

ford9

so whats the story behind the green hornet? was it really a shelby? that article said it was a prototype. either way it looks pretty cool...how hard do you think would it be to find the front end and hood? is aftermarket available? and if so how much does it cost?

OP
OP
F

ford9

HEY DOUG,
i have marchal fog lights how would i know if they are the originals or reproduction ones. since my car is a clone i figure they are repo ones. they have that star design in them and that "eye brow" thing over the top. i read one of your other posts that talked about 656' and 653's

thanks matt

68sunlitgold

Matt (ford9),
To answer your first question:
The Green Hornet is a true Shelby, the only 68 coupe made, it is one of a kind! It was suppose to be destroyed but I don't know if that question was ever answered why it was not. Like I said it is in both the Shelby and CS registry. Very unique

As for parts, look under the post by yoyoyo, I believe he just got in a bunch of fiberglass parts, I don't know if they include the front portions but he may know where to get them. They do still have original parts for Shelby fiberglass but it is way TOOOO expensive to do. There is alot of repro parts available. You would need the hood, front end fender extensions (also know as buckets), the lower grille, and a few other fiberglass parts for the front.

As for the Marchal lights, look at the glass, it should have these words on it:
above the cone (center of the light) should be the words FANTASTIC
two sets of numbers near the bottom, IGM-164ZPN and K11123-N14cM AUF5m and SEV
From your picture they look like they are original Marchal lights, they may be 652's 653's or 656's as for the look, they look all alike from 2 feet away, you would need to get within 2 feet to tell the difference. I would not worry, a good pair of used Marchals can go for more than $400-500 dollars. Unless you know where to look. ;)

It may cost you some to make it a Green Hornet, but I think it would be a very cool looking clone and since you already have the back half of the car done, you already half way there. ;D

Doug

StraightSix

I guess that it would have to be the Red Hornet, though, since I doubt he wants to spring for a total repaint!

And yes, I know about expensive original '68 Shelby parts. Because of an eBay snafu, somebody bid on a RH '68 Shelby headlight bucket using my user id. This bucket was damaged, and it still sold for $267!!! Thank goodness "my" bid was only $262. Apparently eBay is aware of the problem, and has had multiple complaints about it. This error was discovered when somebody else pulled up my My eBay page because of the same error! They emailed me and come to find out they were also a Californiaspecial.com user! What are the odds of that?! :eek:

-Winston