• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Are all GT/CS's true GT's?

Calspecialdreamer

Hi all,
I hate to ask such a question for my "1st ever question", but we all gotta start somewhere. So are all GT/CS's true GT's? I always assumed they were, until KAR mustang had one for sale which said "true GT" What is the scoop? Can someone educate me? Thanks for answering.......

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Don't worry, it's a very common misconception, especially since "GT" is in the name "GT/CS". But the answer is no, not all GT/CS's were real GT's.

Just like other '68 Mustangs the GT package was an option that could be ordered at an additional expense. When you ordered the GT package on a GT/CS there were several items that conflicted and the GT/CS items won out. I don't have the full list handy, but I'm sure one of our forum regulars will chime in soon with it! :)

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Thanks Jon, and man was that ever a quick reply! Our emails almost bumped heads and crashed the site!

68sunlitgold

CalGTCSdreamer,
As Jon stated, the GT option was not on all CS's. The CS options was just that, an option and if you got a 302 or bigger block you had to order the GT option too. As for the deletions that Jon was mentioning because the CS options over road them were:
- Marchal or Lucas foglights, in place with standard round foglights
- CS side stripe - in place of C-stripe
- Horse in coral pop-open gas cap - in place of GT gas cap
- GT ornament - all was removed except on the wheel caps

Doug

StraightSix

It's been rumored that some true GT Cal Specials left the factory with GT gas caps instead of the GT/CS cap, but the GT cap is not considered correct for concourse judging. Probably it was either assembly line error or a shortage of correct caps.

Doug, I didn't know that if you had a 302 or bigger you HAD to have the GT option. Are you sure that started with the 302 engine? I thought it was with the 390 or higher...

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Winston,
I did not mean that you had to have the GT option, only that you had to have a 302 or bigger to get the GT option, it was not available on the 6 cylinder and 289 (the 289 GT option was avialable in 1967 but not in 68). Sorry for the confusion.
Doug

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Thanks guys. I feel well informed now. Can I also assume a true GT/CS is worth more than a California Special without any GT options?

I am in the process of selling my 68 Mustang and want to replace it with a California Special. Your site has been very helpful. Keep up the good work...

Fry the computer Guy

68sunlitgold

CalGTCSdreamer,
Yes, but any Mustang with the GT option is worth more than one without. Good luck in your search, I was able to find mine through this site.
Doug

A side point here--in '68, if you ordered the GT/CS WITH the GT package, you paid the same amount extra, as you would for any other '68 Mustang (with minimum V-8), even though the fog lights and stripes were already on the GT/CS option.

One way to look for the GT package is to look for original dual exhaust hanger holes/bolts just above the rear end. It's not the final word--but it helps in part of the detective work, as a lot of cars (non-GT) had dual exhaust added by the dealer.

Russ

Probably one of the quickest and easiest ways to determine if a GT/CS has the GT option is to look at the lower rear valance panel and see if the panel has the "cut out" reliefs for the dual exhaust. While dual exhaust could be installed by the dealer, this panel, along with the "quad stainless" exhaust tips, would be a difficult and expensive "dealer option". Today's restored cars could have the GT rear panel and tips making identification more difficult, but when you check the engine options (only J, S and R codes were GT's), it makes identification easier. Another area is the sway bar. The GT sway bar is 3/4" in diameter while the standard small block sway bar is 5/8" in diameter. The Marti Report is the conclusive test.

Russ--I totally agree.

Look for how that rear valence was attached, and if it looks consistent in paint, wear, and hardware; since later years involved a lot of retrofits by owners.

A sharp eye can find these things--if added by the owner., although the Marti report would be the last word.

Paul.

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Had to bring back this post, 'cause I have another question and I thought some new members would jump in. Would it be possible to buy a "J" code (4bbl, 302) without the GT option? I guess it would, but I don't know WHY someone would. I am looking at a "J" code, numbers matching GT/CS but it has single exhaust and no cutouts on the valance. The Marti Report shows a "California Special" but it doesn't say "GT". Would the Marti Report say "GT"? Thanks in advance...

hcsstang

::)If you consider a hcs the same as a california special well I am a J code and it had a singal exhaust. I found the numbers on the motor and they are correct and the report from Marti.

Russ

I have a GT and a GT/CS and the Marti report is specific on each car: "GT option" and "California Special" are identified under options.

Russ

Sarge

I have a J code 302 with 4 barrel carb, but it is not the GT, and the Marti report does not say GT either. :'(

68sunlitgold

Fry,
The 302 4bbl "J" was often purchased without the GT option, and the standard exhaust was single without the cutout valance. Your Marti report will say "GT option" if it has that option.
Doug

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Thanks Doug, I found a great cal special with deluxe decor, "J" code, but I will have to weigh the disadvantage of not having a true "GT". Thanks again!

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

HCSstang, Russ, Sarge, and Sunlitgold

Thanks for the info. I really needed it and you guys came through! Stang, does your Marti Report NOT say "GT"?

BrandonB

hey I got a quick question i have GT wheels but I dont have the GT emblem on them...so do i just have GT styled wheels and not "GT wheels"? lol questions questions questions.

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Brandon,
You can buy the GT's to put on them. Lots of places sell the "cap" without the "GT". Some come with, some come without. I would put them on, would make your red stripes look even better!