• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Correct brake pedal switch?

njmop

Hello all.

CS had drum, then front Grenada disc manual, now MP disc/ drum power booster.

I installed 1191 pn from CJ pony parts which said 68 power disc brake switch. My brake lights stayed on and I ended up beating up the switch beyond repair due to being frustrated. Kit installed has new pedal, just as FYI.

What is the correct part. I've hear gt/cs needed something different due to light load too.

I'm looking at tony branda Shelby disc brake pedal switch but can't drive without getting this right. There is on that is for 67-68 power drum, 69-70 power disc and drum too.

Help!? I don't want to keep buying the wrong part and staying inverted under the dash.

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Trying the Scott drake based on what I found.

Used this Ford part number and found Drake equivalent. 68 with Power Disc Brakes -- Engineering Number on original switch C8ZB-13480-B. Actual Ford Part Number (for ordering) -- C9VY13480-A (SW862).

68 with Power Drum Brakes -- Engineering Number on original switch C9ZB-13480-B. Actual Ford Part Number (for ordering) -- C9ZZ-13480-B (SW-864).

Still let me know if you've tried something else that has worked properly.

franklinair

IIRC, the switch type depends on what type brakes you have. PB use a longer pedal shank than MB brakes. Do you have a PB or MB pedal assembly?

Neil

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

PB assembly. Old shorter manual pedal removed. MP power brakes kit comes with the longer pedal. Looks like the 68/69 power pedal. Auto trans.

Thnx

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Update. Apparently this is in the online install instructions. Not a switch issue but a push rod issue. Not nearly stock or stock looking. apparently I need to grind, which I've already done but it isn't right yet.

7. Position the booster pushrod onto the brake pedal using the provided bushing. When installing the pushrod and using the factory brake lamp switch, install everything as an assembly onto the pedal. IMPORTANT: Due to manufacturing variations, it may be necessary to grind a small amount of material from the back side of the pushrod if the operation of the system will not allow the brake lamps to turn off. See Figures 4, 5 and 6 below for installation photos

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

FYI, P/n hw1191 from cj pony parts for disc drum power brakes works after I modified the brake push rod in the booster. The original push rod built into the mp power brake setup wasn't even close. Grinding it was useless as the flat part to mount the brake switch wasn't at the correct angle. Trying to get that angle by grinding wouldn't work. This was a tedious process.