• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Power Steering Hoses

gazrox

Hoping someone can help as I'm sure this problem has been encountered before;

I have installed long tube headers on the 302 - no problem as I have the drop down bracket for the power steering ram. The issue has been with the control valve. I have connected it to the steering arm, however it brings the hoses very close to the headers. I haven't been able to install the bracket that bolts to the engine mount brackets due to room, but it wouldn't do me much good anyway. The problem I have is that as I turn to the right, the hoses get pulled into the headers.

The only solution I have thought is to have custom hoses made and route them under the engine mount instead of over the top. But without that guide bracket for the hoses I'm woriied what sort of wear etc the hoses will sustain. Anyone else been able to solve this?

I think I have found out why the PO remove the power steering!

somethingspecial

Big Block cars route the hoses under the engine mount. The guide bracket mounts under the engine mount. This might help you solve your problem

Attachments

• Copy (4) of gtcs on rack 102.jpg
    Copy (4) of gtcs on rack 102.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
gazrox

gazrox

Thanks Mike, thats a real help. I'm assuming the hoses are a different part number as the metal tubing looks quite different from the ones I have. Will try and track some down.

somethingspecial

Check with Ron Moore here (ClubPro). You'll need Big Block Hoses and the Big Block hose bracket which is different from the small block equipment. as you can see in the photo above, the bracket bolts to the chassis under the left engine mount where the lower control arm mounts. I know Duty Tax can get steep shipping from the U.S. You might try your local Mustang Parts House. Again, Check with Ron Moore first.

Last edited: