• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Ford 9" Rear End

nfrntau

I'm looking into putting a 9" rear end in my Mustang to keep from ruining the original. I estimate around 350 horses with the 351w I am installing which I believe is probably to much for the stock 8" rear.
Do any of you know which model Ford cars have rear ends that will fit my application?
If not, do you have any recommendations on how I can find out?

David Athans had told me that his rear end is 1" wider than stock which fits his tire/rim combo perfectly. I have the same size tires/rims that he has.

PB gtcs

I do not know the condition of the 8 inch. However, if it is good and you like the gear ratio, I would not chage. I would expect the 8 inch to hold up. But if it does not, 8in for Mustangs are easy to buy. We have an extra with the usual C4 2.79 open gears in it.

The easiest answer on the 9 in is another hipo mustang. Ours came out of a 69 Mach 1. That is a driect swap. You may also measure your 8 in and then you will know what to ask for when you go shopping. Most 9 in rears are out of the cars and trucks now days anyway. I would rather KNOW what measurement I needed rather than buy a 9 in laying on the ground a guy said was in a Mustang.

my .02 worth.

Brian

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

I found this on the internet. I thought I would post it just in case someone else was wondering.

Attachments

• rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 71

Mosesatm

So the 9" rear end from and Edsel should bolt right in, more or less.

P

PNewitt

I'm not so sure if Edsel owners would be willing to "part" with their rear end... LOL

I have heard that someone has bolted a '93 Mustang Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) into a '68. Some simple mods, and there you are, shades of the "Green Hornet".

If anyone else has done this--or has heard of it, I'd like to know.

Thanks--
Paul N.

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Picked up a 9" rear today. I found it in a local yard for $150 drum to drum, I pull it. It came out of a 72 Mustang, freeway flyer gears 2.75. I even got a free pair of traction bars with it. Talk about retro high performance.
Bill

IRS would be sweet, but it's just not in the budget at the moment.