• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Mystery Hood Wire Retainer

P

PNewitt

While I was admiring Mike Jewell's restored GT390 GT/CS, he pointed out that there is a plastic clip that holds down the wire from the turn signal switch, up the inside of the louvered hood.

About 2/3rds up the hood from the bottom, on the right (driver's side--hood open), there is this black plastic clip that holds the wiring harness to the flashers in the hood. A hole in the hood is there just for this clip to sit in.

What I was told was that this is not a part found in the repro hardware kit for the louvered hood.

Does anyone know if and where one would get one of these? I'll look up the Ford part number in the meantime. This may be a part that fits more than one Ford--in more than one location. It may be found as "something else" that we don't know about.

I've attached a photo to help describe it.
Thanks,
Paul N.

Attachments

• hoodclip.jpg
    hoodclip.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 50

J_Speegle

No I've never seen a reproduction for that clip or the one at the base (with the screw through it). Only source I would think is other 68 Mustangs, don't recall seeing it on any other Ford applications yet

GTCSMustang

I have never seen that clip before. Has anyone ever seen that one on a GT/CS before?

Scott

CJ

I still have the original one attached.

CJ

GTCSMustang

Went out to check my car for one and it doesn't have it. DUH, 428 Cobra Jet cars didn't come with turn signal hoods. COOL. Now I don't have to go find one.

SCott

Attachments

• DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 24

J_Speegle

Not a Cal Spec thing but a Mustang thing those years for cars with the hood mounted turn indicators

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I think this is another production change from '67 to '68. You can sorta see it in the photo of Mike's car, but on your own CS, too--that the wire goes into the hood, to exit at the bottom.

The diagram I attached is from the Ford Parts Book. Note that they show four clips holding the harness down along the hood. This isn't how it really is.

I think that engine heat, and/or the advent of the big block, filling up more of the engine bay, necessitated hiding the harness into and down the hood.

I circled the clip in question's location in red.

We saw the same setup as on Mike's car on other 68's at the show. Not sure about '67s with the louvered hood turn signals. Are they the same?

In any case--this is a GOOD example of how the diagram may not be the same as the reality of production. So--you have to take technical documentation with a grain of salt, and look at how it may have been changed during actual production (attn: concours builders and judges).

Part II to follow,

Paul N.

Attachments

• hoodclip.jpg
    hoodclip.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

(Pt. II)

Here is the part number documentation for the wire clips.

There are two listed (marked with blue dots):

372302-S (GG264)

377774-S (GG270)

I think these are the ones used at the top, and they need screws to install.

But!! I found another one like the one in the photo of Mike's hood:
379485-S (GG263)
This one looks a lot like it, from the diagrams I found scouring pages in the Ford Parts Book. I found the same clip (as "ours") used on a '67 Fairlane Hood Mounted Turn Indicators, installed on the upper firewall (pg.2, Sec 130.2). The same clip was also spotted used on the '66-'67 T-Bird (in trunk) Turn Signal Sequential Wiring System (pg.1, Sec. 134.1).

This "mystery clip" looks like a part that was used on the 65-67 T-Bird, and Fairlane. Overall, it looks like they went to attaching all wiring harness clips to the harness wrap from 1969 and on, and stopped using this part to secure wiring harnesses.

If you're looking for this part in a junkyard, etc., try Fairlanes and T-Birds, 1968 or earlier. It's used where movement of the wire is, and/or near where there is a connector in the line.

I would also "suggest" that those who talk to...or...make electrical parts for Mustangs and classic Fords, consider reproducing this part (hello?!)...

--Just some useful trivia, since this detail was pestering me to look it up...

Paul N.

Attachments

• hoodscrew.jpg
    hoodscrew.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 40