• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 High Country Special $$$???

GTCSMustang

Going to need some more details. Engine? Options? Condition? Verified through Marti Report?

Scott

OP
OP

1968 HCS

1968 Hcs $$$???

Going to need some more details. Engine? Options? Condition? Verified through Marti Report?

Scott

Hi. Thanks for checking out my question. I've posted information on my page.
The car is a 1968 HCS. It's D5 acapulco blue, 6B decor blue buckets, 289 2v, C4 Cruise o matic trans., 2.79 axle, 51 Denver District, P/s, P/b, Upeer and lower console. Built 12/67 in San Jose, CA. Good condition needing floor and some assembly. All parts are with the car to complete. Did all 1968 HCS's come with the hood pins and fog lights? This car dosen't have either one.
I'm curious to what this could be worth in as is condition and totally restored.
I've posted a picture in my gallery.

Thanks for your help,
Joe

GTCSMustang

I wasn't aware they made any HCS cars that early (12/67). Bob Teets...what do you think?

Scott

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I wasn't aware they made any HCS cars that early (12/67).
Yeah, that's too early. The HCS cars were built in June & July '68.

Joe (1968 HCS) I would order a Marti report to verify that it's an HCS. To answer your hood lock and fog light question, yes they all came that way from the factory.

hicountrybob

I wasn't aware they made any HCS cars that early (12/67). Bob Teets...what do you think?

Scott

NO brainer here, as far as I'm concerned. Ford DIDN'T produce ANY '68 HCS Mustangs until June of '68. Why the heck don't you post a vin number? And/or the complete vin info from the door tag AND the windshield tag letters and number. I see in your picture gallery that your car does have a HCS decal on the rt. side scoop, but that doesn't mean SQUAT. No lamps and no hood locks??? Come on, I hate to burst any bubbles, but I don't know if even a Cal Sp. was built that early ie. 12/67???????? Talk to us some more, huh? Bob Teets here. What do the rest of you people have to say???

franklinair

If the floor pans are rusted, best be checking the cowl vent(s) for leaks. What's the VIN# ?
Neil Hoppe

BroadwayBlue

Hi. Thanks for checking out my question. I've posted information on my page.
The car is a 1968 HCS. It's D5 acapulco blue, 6B decor blue buckets, 289 2v, C4 Cruise o matic trans., 2.79 axle, 51 Denver District, P/s, P/b, Upeer and lower console. Built 12/67 in San Jose, CA. Good condition needing floor and some assembly. All parts are with the car to complete. Did all 1968 HCS's come with the hood pins and fog lights? This car dosen't have either one.
I'm curious to what this could be worth in as is condition and totally restored.
I've posted a picture in my gallery.

Thanks for your help,
Joe

Hi Joe,
First off, Welcome to the site!! I see you're new here!

You'll find a lot of good information on the site as you may have already noticed. Check all the sections, not just the forums for info and and there plenty of us here on the forums that can help out too.

We'll do our best to answer your questions. But we need some more info on the car.

If you could post the VIN number and data tag info that would be helpful. While that can't confirm a car is an HCS or GT/CS it could help us figure out if it isn't.
Only a Marti Report can confirm if it's truly an original HCS or GT/CS from the factory.
(excluding original build sheets or original owners)

Do you have a Marti Report for the car?
Are you familiar with them?

Where did you get the Build Date and DSO and other info from? It seems like from a Marti report but please confirm.

If you have a report, do you have the ability to scan in the report and post it? Or maybe take a picture of it and post it?

If you can supply us with some additional info we'll try to answer your questions and help you confirm if it's a true HCS or not. Without all the info it's difficult to assist.

By the way - where about are you in NY? I'm in NY as well.

OP
OP

1968 HCS

Thanks for you response

Hi Joe,
First off, Welcome to the site!! I see you're new here!

You'll find a lot of good information on the site as you may have already noticed. Check all the sections, not just the forums for info and and there plenty of us here on the forums that can help out too.

We'll do our best to answer your questions. But we need some more info on the car.

If you could post the VIN number and data tag info that would be helpful. While that can't confirm a car is an HCS or GT/CS it could help us figure out if it isn't.
Only a Marti Report can confirm if it's truly an original HCS or GT/CS from the factory.
(excluding original build sheets or original owners)

Do you have a Marti Report for the car?
Are you familiar with them?

Where did you get the Build Date and DSO and other info from? It seems like from a Marti report but please confirm.

If you have a report, do you have the ability to scan in the report and post it? Or maybe take a picture of it and post it?

If you can supply us with some additional info we'll try to answer your questions and help you confirm if it's a true HCS or not. Without all the info it's difficult to assist.

By the way - where about are you in NY? I'm in NY as well.

To all & Broadway Blue

Thanks for all or your responses to my questions.

As far for the no brainer from previous responses I've only owned the car for 10 days so bear with me as the infomation requests unfold.

From what I know of this car is that it's second owner was a young college student in Connecticut and wasn't very resposible since the car was traded for his boarding fees while attending college. This could explain why the hood and fog lights are missing. Possibly he sold them or was in an accident at one point in time.
The Vin number is as follows 8 R 0 1 C 1 1 6 6 1 3

This car has the Shelby taillights, fiberglass trunk and molded spolier. Also I did notice is that the striping on the rear spolier goes around the Mustang emblem. Not across the top edge like with the California Specials. Like I mentioned I'm new to this car so please bear with me.

The report isn't a Marti but it's been trasferered with the car from the second or third owner. I do plan on ordering this report.
There is a 15M next to the scheduled for build date of December 15, 1967
The car was sold thru:
Hover Motors Inc
2985 Federal Blvd.
Denver, CO 80211

I'll post the rest of the numbers that forum members have asked for tomorrow since the weather is terrible and the car is wrapped up like a sausage.
Thanks again for all of your help.

Broadway Blue thanks for your help.
The car is now located on Long Island, NY

GTCSMustang

The VIN is consistent with a car built in December 67. However, it's just too early to be a HCS. The Marti Report could prove that wrong, but not likely. When you order the Marti Report you can ask them to FAX it to you the same day for a slight extra charge. Get a deluxe report, they have more information. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

robert campbell

Joe,
Welcome to the site! I have an early January car that is out of sorts with the normal dates for production for a GT/CS. There is another car nearly identical to mine built 2 days later. Both cars are Anniversary Gold and are mentioned in Paul Newitt’s book as a possible early introduction of cars to the Northwest that may have been pulled of the line and assembled later. Its VIN is 8R01J123143.

Your car is certainly earlier than that. I noticed one 67 HCS in the registry that is a June car, but the owner says it has recessed reflector lights. That was a 68 production item. Not sure of the accuracy of this car in the registry, but I will not doubt the owners honesty. So is your car some sort of a “leftover” 67 built in 68, that may be a 67 HCS?? Stranger things have happened!!

So stay patient and order the Marti report. It is another reference to the authenticity of your car and respected by all as the end proof. I myself am not so sure that it is the “end all” of the authenticity of a car. As Rich so properly said, build sheets and original owners have a bit to say on the true authenticity of a car. Try to trace the owners backwards. I am doing that for my car and the other nearly identical one.

This site will tell you the best to our ability of what appears normal, but continue on your quest. Bob and others have painstakeingly researched these cars. You may have some sort of a transition car. Who knows? Other items to look at are paint on the side scoops or trunk and taillight panel that may be under the current paint that are another color. If the hood locks are gone are the receptors still on the radiator brace? Check the sheetmetal codes on various panels. They are all over the place on the fender aprons or in the trough for the trunk lid on the quarters. The steering box has a date tag. Most cars that have never been hurt bad have date codes that are within a couple weeks or the same day. Check under the carpets for a paper build sheet. An abbreviated VIN should be on the back of the block on the ledge behind the intake manifold. The same abbreviated VIN could be on the top of the automatic at the rear of the forward case.

None of this proves authenticity, but if enough stuff starts to NOT match, it may have been assembled. At the same time engines, tranny’s and hoods can be replaced.

Who knows, you may have stumbled onto one rare car? Let the quest begin!! It can be fun in its own right.

Rob

BroadwayBlue

Hi again Joe!

Don't worry about being new to the CS and HCS world of Mustangs. Most of here were newbies at some point. We're all just trying to assist to get the info you're searching for. As you have already read it's not a black and white answer without the reports or other documentation or numbers, etc.
That's why everyone was asking for that info.

As people have mentioned there has been a lot of research done to identify production timelines and other information. The dates you quoted would initially indicate that it's not a factory High Country Special (HCS).
But stranger things have happened.

So yes, it's possible this wasn't an original factory HCS or CS for that matter. In time we'll help you figure it out one way or another. You came to the right place for information on these cars.

For your sake, I hope you weren't lead down the wrong path by the seller. I'm pretty sure I can speak for the others here that they feel the same way.
We all are very vigilant in making sure these cars are represented properly every chance we get, whether being sold, bought or anywhere else. Sometimes we're pretty exuberant in our efforts as you have experienced. Nothing personal. :cool:
You purchased what we assume you were told was a High Country Special.
For all we know the prior owner was told that as well. So let's do the research and go from there.

At this point you've bought the car and whatever the outcome it's your choice to make on what to do with the car.

We've seen everything from people finding out they didn't buy an authentic car and I believe enjoyed the car as a clone. And I think we've seen people that have actually had a High Country Special that was restored to a California Special. So there are all different scenarios.

"Also I did notice is that the striping on the rear spolier goes around the Mustang emblem. Not across the top edge like with the California Specials."
I'm not sure what you meant about the stripes. I'd be curious to see pictures of this.

I'm not sure what the report you have is. It sounds a lot like the info on a Deluxe Marti Report but I'm guessing it doesn't say on it anywhere that it's a Marti Report.

Some of that info is on the Ford Customer Assistance Center History 999 report, but I didn't think the dealer was listed on those.

Could it be an original invoice or build sheet of some type (anyone?)
Again - seeing this would really help if that's possible.

I think the 15M indicates December 15th. The M indicates December. I think the months were indicated as A=Jan, B=Feb, etc ... if I remember right they skipped "I" so it wasn't confused with a "1". So that makes M the 12th month.

You haven't said if you're familiar with Mustangs or older cars for that matter so if anything anyone has asked for doesn't make sense, don't hesitate to ask! Like I said we were all newbies at some point (well most of us at least :cool: )

I can't tell you how many times I needed an explanation on how to find the VIN number on the back of the engine block. I even asked for sample pictures. I thought I had to take half the engine apart to find it. Once I found it I felt silly asking so many times but hey now I can explain it to someone else.

I live in Dutchess County and work in Westchester County so we're not too far apart.

Good Luck!!

Mosesatm

Someone previously posted this picture of the engine VIN location.

Attachments

• Engine VIN Example.jpg
    Engine VIN Example.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP

1968 HCS

1968 Hcs

Hi again Joe!

Don't worry about being new to the CS and HCS world of Mustangs. Most of here were newbies at some point. We're all just trying to assist to get the info you're searching for. As you have already read it's not a black and white answer without the reports or other documentation or numbers, etc.
That's why everyone was asking for that info.

As people have mentioned there has been a lot of research done to identify production timelines and other information. The dates you quoted would initially indicate that it's not a factory High Country Special (HCS).
But stranger things have happened.

So yes, it's possible this wasn't an original factory HCS or CS for that matter. In time we'll help you figure it out one way or another. You came to the right place for information on these cars.

For your sake, I hope you weren't lead down the wrong path by the seller. I'm pretty sure I can speak for the others here that they feel the same way.
We all are very vigilant in making sure these cars are represented properly every chance we get, whether being sold, bought or anywhere else. Sometimes we're pretty exuberant in our efforts as you have experienced. Nothing personal. :cool:
You purchased what we assume you were told was a High Country Special.
For all we know the prior owner was told that as well. So let's do the research and go from there.

At this point you've bought the car and whatever the outcome it's your choice to make on what to do with the car.

We've seen everything from people finding out they didn't buy an authentic car and I believe enjoyed the car as a clone. And I think we've seen people that have actually had a High Country Special that was restored to a California Special. So there are all different scenarios.

"Also I did notice is that the striping on the rear spolier goes around the Mustang emblem. Not across the top edge like with the California Specials."
I'm not sure what you meant about the stripes. I'd be curious to see pictures of this.

I'm not sure what the report you have is. It sounds a lot like the info on a Deluxe Marti Report but I'm guessing it doesn't say on it anywhere that it's a Marti Report.

Some of that info is on the Ford Customer Assistance Center History 999 report, but I didn't think the dealer was listed on those.

Could it be an original invoice or build sheet of some type (anyone?)
Again - seeing this would really help if that's possible.

I think the 15M indicates December 15th. The M indicates December. I think the months were indicated as A=Jan, B=Feb, etc ... if I remember right they skipped "I" so it wasn't confused with a "1". So that makes M the 12th month.

You haven't said if you're familiar with Mustangs or older cars for that matter so if anything anyone has asked for doesn't make sense, don't hesitate to ask! Like I said we were all newbies at some point (well most of us at least :cool: )

I can't tell you how many times I needed an explanation on how to find the VIN number on the back of the engine block. I even asked for sample pictures. I thought I had to take half the engine apart to find it. Once I found it I felt silly asking so many times but hey now I can explain it to someone else.

I live in Dutchess County and work in Westchester County so we're not too far apart.

Good Luck!!

To all:
Thank you all for your help. I've ordered the Marti Report. So hopefully it pans out to be a true HCS. I would be amazed if someone went to all the trouble to add the shelby tail panel to this Mustang. The weather is still nasty outside. I should be able to post pictures by the end of today provided the weather cooperates.

Broadway Blue:
Thanks again for your encouragement. I'll post the picture of the rear tail stripe. It loops over the Mustang emblem not like the C/S mustangs.

Robert Campbell:
Thanks for your enlightenment on the situation.

GTCSMustang:
Thanks for your research.
Again thanks to everyone for their reseach and kind words.

The Marti report has been ordered this morning.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

OP
OP

1968 HCS

1968 HCS {Thanks for all the help!!!}

To all:
Thank you all for your help. I've ordered the Marti Report. So hopefully it pans out to be a true HCS. I would be amazed if someone went to all the trouble to add the shelby tail panel to this Mustang. The weather is still nasty outside. I should be able to post pictures by the end of today provided the weather cooperates.

Broadway Blue:
Thanks again for your encouragement. I'll post the picture of the rear tail stripe. It loops over the Mustang emblem not like the C/S mustangs.

Robert Campbell:
Thanks for your enlightenment on the situation.

GTCSMustang:
Thanks for your research.
Again thanks to everyone for their reseach and kind words.

The Marti report has been ordered this morning.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

robert campbell

Marti report will be a key piece to the puzzle. You have literature of where it was sold from originally. Sometimes the dealer is still in business! They may be able to put you together with and old timer (like dirt me) that was selling cars from that dealer.

I followed a thought from Paul Newitt and went to the local library and went through the classifieds from 67 and 68. There I found all sorts of ads for the GT/CS and the Gold Nugget Northwest edition. Also, lots of pics and names of the local salespersons and the local Ford dealers. Have your library order in the micro fish from some Denver newspapers from late 1967.

I have cornered one of the old timers in my area. He disputes the dealer codes on the Marti report from my report and others from the Seattle area. He started rattling off the dealer code for every Ford dealer in Seattle area at that time. Many no longer in business!! He was not much help in the details of individual cars as you can imagine, but he was all over the paperwork side. I am trying to meet him in person for more information.

Paul gave me a good suggestion and it has provided me with more pieces to the puzzle!!

Rob

OP
OP

1968 HCS

1968 HSC Marti Report

Ladies & Gentleman thank you for all of your support with the information provided. But it panned out to be a clone. It's amazing that someone went through the trouble to install the Shelby tailpanel and lights. I was able to contact the 2nd owner and he did verify that he did the work because he just liked the look and that he cloned the car. Funny thing is that he asked it I would consider selling it back to him. I ordered the Marti Report and it verified that it was ordered for Denver, CO (51 code). I've posted the report for you all to view along with some pictures. I haven't decided on what I will do with this treasure but may sell the car so if anyones interested please contact me at 327smblk@optonline.net]. I'll provide any information or pictures needed if someones interested.
Again thank you so much for helping me out.
I contacted the Gentleman I purchased the car from and he was upset that the prior owner sold it to him as a HCS. This man was one of the most honest men you'd ever meet. So I'm OK with the transaction.
Happy Holidays,
Joe

Attachments

• santa race.jpg
    santa race.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 26
  • Trailer Halloween 030.jpg
    Trailer Halloween 030.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Trailer Halloween 031.jpg
    Trailer Halloween 031.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 54